Tablet or Ipad?

Page 1 of 1 (18 items)
This post has 17 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 643
Michael Kinch | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Feb 7 2012 5:51 AM

I would like to get a tablet or Ipad so that I can take my resources to church with me and other places.  What do you suggest - tablet or Ipad? 

Posts 217
Danny Baskin | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 7 2012 6:18 AM

Can't speak for the tablet, but I love my iPad! Use it for reading, study, preaching, teaching, etc. Great with Logos, especially now that notes and highlights sync.

Posts 29196
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 7 2012 6:51 AM

Michael Kinch:
What do you suggest - tablet or Ipad? 

Michael - An iPad is a tablet... Is there a particular alternative that you are looking at? My advice will be certainly biased - I love all things Apple - so you can take my words with a grain of salt. Wink

1. The iPad sold more tablets in the first year than ALL of the other manufactures & platforms combined in the history of tablets.
  2. The iPad benefits from an OS which is on millions of iPhones & iPods. 
  3. The leading competing OS is Android... but... there are a number of flavors and not all are compatible. 
  4. The most popular Android tablets do not run stock Android (see Kindle fire).
  5. The iPad benefits from the OS being made to run on the device by the manufacturer. 
  6. The App store is much more successful than other mobile app stores. Most programmers develop for iOS first and then possibly port to Android (see Logos).
  7. The iPad is a pretty good bang for the buck. Other manufacturers are having troubles competing price wise. Amazon loses money on each Fire.

The only thing I would be inclined to buy other than an iPad, is a plain jane eBook reader with eInk. The text is nicer to read. If I had to choose, however, it would be (and is) an iPad. FYI - Rumors have it that Apple will follow a similar pattern to the iPhone / iPod and will introduce a new price point with the iPad 2 when the next model (iPad 3) is released (presumably in March).

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 251
Rod | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 7 2012 6:53 AM

The Logos software was not that great on the iPad until the latest release but, it has taken a huge step forward.

I would definitely go with the iPad.

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 7 2012 7:25 AM

Michael Kinch:

I would like to get a tablet or Ipad so that I can take my resources to church with me and other places.  What do you suggest - tablet or Ipad? 

If all you want to do is read your Logos books, the least expensive route (so far) is the Kindle Fire (about US$200). It does not do much more than let you read, and I don't know how to have more than one book open at a time (or if it's possible), but you can read books, search, open a passage guide, compare versions on a passage, and maybe a few other things. Basically its a reading environment with a few enhancements, where Logos4 is a research environment in which one can read.

(There is no Logos app for other versions of Kindle (as far as know), as the Kindle Fire is the only Kindle that runs the Android OS.)

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 2875
Mike Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 7 2012 8:52 AM

I would not buy any tablet until iPad 3 is released in about a month or two.  You do not know what your options are until then.  I am not saying automaticly buy the iPad 3, but it may have an impact on the price of all tablets.  iPad 2, for example, will likely become less expensive.  Others will have to compete.

Also, iPad 3 will likely handle some things - like large pdf files - better than iPad 1 or 2. 

I'd wait a few weeks and see.

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 7 2012 9:01 AM

Logos is planning feature parity for Android apps, currently iOS apps have more.

Apple offers refurbished iPad's => http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/ipad (with one year warranty, same as new). Anticipating refurbished price drop following newer iPad models later this year.

Logos and Vyrso apps are usable on first generation iPad models, which can be freely upgraded to latest iOS version.

For tablets, Microcenter periodically offers $ 50 off all new tablets over $ 299, which includes Apple's iPads and Android.

If considering Kindle Fire, may want to look at Nook Tablet for $ 50 more since $ 50 includes more hardware (e.g. micro sd card reader).  Also noticed a recent survey research that includes Kindle Fire satisfaction => http://www.changewaveresearch.com/articles/2012/amazon_20120202.html

The Kindle Fire is currently the # 2 tablet in sales, which is affecting usage % for other Android tablets => http://www.electronista.com/articles/12/01/27/flurry.says.kindle.fire.squeezing.android.tablets/

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 14
Mike Gehl | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 7 2012 11:03 AM

Here's my two cents based on personal needs / wants / experience. Take it with as many grains of salt as you'd like.

Some background:

• I cut my teeth on the Palm Pilot Family: Palm Personal -> III -> IIIe -> Sony Clie -> TX - loved them as a PIM organizer.
  • I PREFER to carry a combined device if at all possible.
  • My eyesight is fine - I usually shrink the font as much as possible to view the maximum amount on the screen. In other words, high resolution is more important to me than physical screen size. 
  • I use Google's stuff (Gmail, Calendar, Reader, Music) daily.
  • I like the ability to simply swap out the battery on my Android phone when it dies. Pop in the other and put the spent one in the wall charger.
  • I could see myself using a tablet / e-reader of some sort - considered the Kindle Fire for a bit, before deciding to wait (didn't like the fact that it doesn't support legacy Google apps (especially Gmail and Android Market) because of the proprietary Amazon version of Android).
  • I'm not necessarily "anti-Apple," but I'm so comfortable with my Android phone that it's awkward for me to navigate my wife's iPhone. They may be more user friendly, but once you get used to something...
  • I'm eligible for a phone upgrade w/ AT&T.

The upcoming Samsung Galaxy Note LTE (February 19th release from AT&T) - again, in my own opinion - is the perfect fit for what I'm looking for in a combined device:

• All I need in a single device.
  • Android smartphone that includes Market and all the legacy Google apps, as well as Kindle / Barnes & Noble / Logos apps. Yes, the Logos app for Android is playing catchup, but I'm confident it'll get there.
  • 4G LTE (which just rolled out in Charlotte, NC last month)
  • 5.3" screen with HD (1280 x 800) resolution - same as a full-size tablet, but still pocketable in a sports coat, or even a pants pocket.
  • 8 megapixel rear camera plus 2 megapixel front-facing camera. Should work well with Skype.
  • S Pen (stylus) input - seems kinda gimicky right now (lots of negative feedback after Sunday night's ad aired during the "big game"), but it's more than a mere stylus and has some neat possibilities. And like I said, I'm comfortable with stylus input using the Palm organizers. And if you don't like the S Pen, you just keep it tucked away and use multi-touch like any other smartphone / tablet.
  • User-swappable battery (2,500 mAh, by the way). It's dirt cheap to get 2 extra batteries plus a wall charger from Amazon.
  • 16GB ROM + expandable memory (microSD up to 32GB) = 48GB total. The highest-end iPad gives you 64GB, but $$$...
  • 2x the RAM of the iPad 2 (1GB vs 512MB)

I work for neither Samsung nor AT&T, but like I said, it seems to be the best of all worlds for me.

Downsides:

• It's HUGE for a phone. They had a non-functioning demo at Best Buy and I asked the sales guy to hold it up to his ear so I could see how it looked. Not all that absurd, actually. Even less so if you use a bluetooth headset.
  • Pricey - $300 (w/ 2 year AT&T contract) plus the data plan, but not unreasonable if you consider that you'd spend 2/3 of that on a Kindle and almost that much on a Nook. iPad is obviously much more. And if you have a data plan on your phone anyway, it's no more cost than what you're already paying.

For a high-end Android smartphone / mini tablet / e-reader all in one, I'm excited to go ahead with the upgrade. To each his own, but I suggest looking into it as a possibility.

Mike

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 7 2012 11:21 AM

Presuming a person has settled on getting an iPad, what is really necessary to run Logos well on one?

I was able to try out Logos on a iPad2 and on the original iPad last fall. The experience seemed the same to me. I don't need a camera or a thinner chassis of the newer model (I actually prefer the thicker one) I don't need anything other than wifi and won't subscribe to a phone plan. 

Will having more RAM make any noticeable difference? Any release date announced for the new iPad?

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 1539
Terry Poperszky | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 7 2012 11:56 AM

I am an Apple Fan boy, with that said I also manage the telecommunications for a national company that has chosen Android over IOS. I had my first iPad the day before they were released to the public and faithfully carried it everywhere I went. I ordered and tried every Android tablet that came out and sent them back after a short time. Until the Verizon Xyboard 8.2 (Xoom 2) came out, I played with it for a day and then gave my iPad to my kids, I like the 8.2 form factor much better than that of an iPad.

With that said, I would go with an iPad if your only consideration is Logos, the Logos app is much more mature than the Android App, and you will get the most bang for your buck now. Will Logos bring feature parity between the two platforms? They say they will, but they have also said that about Windows/Mac, and while I have no doubt they will keep their word, we may all be talking about a third platform by the time it occurs.

For me? I will stick with my Android tablet. I rarely study on a tablet, it is much more convenient to have dual 24" monitors rather than an 8" or 10" screen and my Android device has much more potential for what I really use it for.

BTW, I agree with don't buy anything now, wait until March, even if you don't buy the iPad 3, there will be a bunch of geeks like my guys dumping their older equipment to get the latest and greatest. 

Posts 29196
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 7 2012 12:09 PM

Super Tramp:
Will having more RAM make any noticeable difference?

There are no "ram" options between iPads of the same generation (all iPad 2's are identical).  Storage space (16, 32, 64) is always an issue if you like to cram everything in. I like to keep my computers/devices never more that 2/3 full.

Super Tramp:
I was able to try out Logos on a iPad2 and on the original iPad last fall. The experience seemed the same to me.

I have not been able to play with an iPad 2 much. I can tell you there does seem to be a big difference between my iPad (original) and my iPhone 4s (similar to iPad 2) in "snappiness."

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 7 2012 12:31 PM

alabama24:
There are no "ram" options between iPads of the same generation (all iPad 2's are identical)

On eBay I see iPads with 16GB, 32GB, and 64GB options. That is the "RAM" I was wondering about. I would probably like to cram a bunch of stuff on it. I presently have over 160GB of data on my netbook including full installs of Libronix 3 and Logos 4. I just wonder if an iPad or tablet would meet my usage style better.

Posts 29196
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 7 2012 1:21 PM

Super Tramp:
On eBay I see iPads with 16GB, 32GB, and 64GB options. That is the "RAM" I was wondering about.

That's not Ram, its the storage space.

Super Tramp:
I just wonder if an iPad or tablet would meet my usage style better.

Do you mean a tablet PC? An iPad is a tablet.

With your move to a Mac, an iPad is a no brainer. It will work together with you Mac really well. As for storage space… there is a strong movement towards the cloud which I believe is inevitable. This diminishes the need for larger storage space. Of course, there is something "nice" about having your entire library with you when you are away from internet. The questions I would ask: 1) how often are you actually away from internet and 2) do you really need your entire library.

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 7 2012 1:55 PM

alabama24:
That's not Ram, its the storage space.
Uh, Duh, I knew that,  how could I not have known that? Embarrassed

alabama24:
1) how often are you actually away from internet and 2) do you really need your entire library.

1) only when I am driving and I can't be using the device at that moment anyway.

2) Now you are starting to sound like Nina. Of course I really need all those resources!  I never know when I might want to read Tabletalk or which of 264 issues I need for the moment.

Posts 29196
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 7 2012 2:06 PM

Super Tramp:
Now you are starting to sound like Nina.

Smile

Super Tramp:
1) only when I am driving and I can't be using the device at that moment anyway.

In which case, storage space isn't all that critical. All of your mobile enabled logos resources are available when you are online.

Posts 439
Mark Stevens | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 7 2012 2:13 PM

iPad, hands down.

Posts 134
L.D. Young | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 7 2012 2:16 PM

iPad   Yes

Posts 643
Michael Kinch | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 7 2012 6:17 PM

Thanks everyone for your info.  It is very helpful and appreciated.

Page 1 of 1 (18 items) | RSS