Logos 4 Crashes when Launched

Page 1 of 2 (29 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 28 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 11
Bill Stoddart | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Feb 7 2012 3:09 PM

Hello,

I have not had this happen before, but when I launch Logos It crashes.  I have tried holding CTRL and using the blank layout option and it does load.  However, any click after that anywhere within the window causes a crash.  Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Posts 9427
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 7 2012 3:14 PM

Bill,

We'll need logs. You should have some from the Ctrl key event. They are in your My Documents\Logos Log File folder.

See http://wiki.logos.com/Diagnostic_Logging  for how to enable permanganate diagnostic logging and how to attach these logs to a follow-up message.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 9427
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 7 2012 5:47 PM

Bill, two of those files (Logos4Error-2 and Logos4IndexerCrash) are from long ago.

The other logs show the crash was due to:

"Error    OurApp    Unhandled exception: System.AccessViolationException: Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt."

It seems to be trying to get resource info off your disc as it loads the program. I think it would be good if Logos looked at this. Perhaps someone will look in tonight. if not call Tech Support tomorrow. In the past, solutions to this problem were not straightforward. Sometimes corrupt resources caused it, sometimes processor overheating during indexing. You didn't submit an indexer log but it doesn't look like Logos was indexing when this crash occurred.

Someone else may remember a consistent cause and fix for this issue, I do not and in searching the forums cannot find one.

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 26364
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 7 2012 11:05 PM

Bill Stoddart:
Here are the logs...

There is no consistent fix for this. A couple of suggestions:-

• go to Control Panel >> Programs and Features, right click Logos 4 Bible Software and select Repair
  • if you have another working installation reinstall using Method 2 NB. remove the \Logos4 folder after uninstalling

Otherwise let Logos Support investigate on your computer.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 11
Bill Stoddart | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 8 2012 2:47 AM

Hey Mark,

Thanks.  That actually makes sense.  I restarted my box was was able to bring it up.  I started a reindex build and boom an hour in it crashed.

Posts 26364
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 8 2012 11:51 AM

Bill Stoddart:

Hey Mark,

Thanks.  That actually makes sense.  I restarted my box was was able to bring it up.  I started a reindex build and boom an hour in it crashed.

Logs?

Did you consider either of my suggestions or have you contacted Logos Support?

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 11
Bill Stoddart | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 8 2012 4:30 PM

I am working with support.  I have too many notes and such to lose by a reinstallation.

Posts 9009
LogosEmployee

Bill Stoddart:

I restarted my box was was able to bring it up.  I started a reindex build and boom an hour in it crashed.

The bug looks like an error in WPF itself, based on the call stack. Unfortunately, searching the Internet (to see if anyone else has run into this) turns up no results, so I have no suggestions for a workaround or a fix. I doubt that uninstalling and reinstalling will help.

Since it happened while rebuilding an index, there's a small possibility that your system is overheating (under load) and becoming destabilised. Tools like memtest86+ and Prime95 (see http://community.logos.com/forums/p/16836/128062.aspx#128062) can be used to try to detect hardware failures.

Posts 9427
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 8 2012 8:49 PM

Bradley Grainger:
Since it happened while rebuilding an index, there's a small possibility that your system is overheating (under load) and becoming destabilised.

A few of the problems reported on the forum earlier with this error were traced back to processor overheating during indexing. I didn't catch that going on in Bill's log.

Bill, what are your computer specs? I had this problem on my former computer but it didn't happen the first time I used L4. It appeared after many months, perhaps because of the aging of the computer.

If you follow the instructions that Dave Hooten pointed to on the wiki, you will not lose your data by reinstalling. That procedure calls for backing the files up and then putting them back after reinstalling. Your data is also on Logos' servers and would be replaced after you reinstall. I'd prefer to use the method Dave pointed you to so nothing can go wrong.

I hope support can help you.

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 11
Bill Stoddart | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 9 2012 2:55 AM

Thanks for your suggestion Bradley. 

I check the temp on my processor...104(f)...it is a water cooled processor and stays pretty cool.  I do not game or anything so it is over kill i know...but I thought it would be fun to build it that way.  Also, various versions of Logos has been running for a few years on this computer without this issues.

Bill

Posts 11
Bill Stoddart | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 9 2012 2:59 AM

Mark,

See my reply to Bradly about the specs...the processor is an i7 task manager reports 8 cores.  But this machine stays pretty cool.

I think i will take your suggestion and reinstall...sigh

I hope that works.  I will keep you posted...

Thanks, Bill

Posts 9427
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 9 2012 7:05 AM

Bill Stoddart:
.the processor is an i7 task manager reports 8 cores

I don't think overheating is the problem. My i7 only uses about 50% of its CPU cycles under the toughest indexing.

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 9009
LogosEmployee

Mark Smith:

I don't think overheating is the problem.

That was a wild guess based on the problem being reported as happening intermittently. It could well be a red herring.

Posts 11
Bill Stoddart | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 9 2012 8:31 AM

well...reinstalled and during indexing BOOM.  CPU was at around 4%...this is a tech support thing for sure...

Posts 9427
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 9 2012 12:47 PM

Bill Stoddart:
well...reinstalled and during indexing BOOM. 

Sorry you are having so much trouble. I hope the techs can figure something out for you.

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 39
Peter Banks | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 9 2012 4:26 PM

I am seeing the same symptoms. I had some type of update yesterday I wonder if it is related?

Posts 9427
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 9 2012 5:34 PM

Peter Banks:
I wonder if it is related?

Peter, please upload your logs. (See the instructions given earlier in this thread).

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 11
Bill Stoddart | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 10 2012 2:20 AM

Just a thought...I started using the new IPAD notes feature this weekend.  I wonder if it is related.

Posts 24233
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 10 2012 2:46 AM

Hi Bill

Bill Stoddart:
Just a thought...I started using the new IPAD notes feature this weekend.  I wonder if it is related.

With Bradley's post that this is a WPF-related issue I would think it very unlikely that it relates to the use of the iPad notes capabilities.

Graham

Page 1 of 2 (29 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS