Calvin vs. Calvin

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
This post has 3 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 19
Patrick Malone+ | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Feb 9 2012 7:37 PM

Greetings,

I have Calvin's Institutes as part of my Scholars library and I see that there is one in pre-pub.  What is the difference?

Patrick

Posts 18773
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 9 2012 8:05 PM

Patrick Malone:

I have Calvin's Institutes as part of my Scholars library and I see that there is one in pre-pub.  What is the difference?

The one in pre-pub is the Ford Lewis Battles translation, edited by John McNeil, which is considered to be the best translation, and it's got extensive footnotes and several excellent indexes, including an index to all the quotes and allusions Calvin makes to the Early Church Fathers.

Posts 2278
Andy | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 9 2012 11:40 PM

Hi Patrick,

Firstly, welcome.

I just wanted to echo what Rosie has already said. I own the Beveridge translation in L4 (it came as part of my base package) and the Ford Lewis Battles translation in hard copy. The FLB edition is, as Rosie has suggested, scholarly with detailed footnotes and is, in my view, indispensable for the serious student of Calvin.

Moreover, the FLB translation is, I understand, more accurate and, in my view, far, far more readable. If you are interested in the Institutes, I expect you will find the FLB a superior, and more pleasurable, read.

I have ordered the FLB translation on pre-pub.

God bless,

Andy 

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 10 2012 9:27 PM

Andy Evans:
I have ordered the FLB translation on pre-pub.

Pre-pub link => Institutes of the Christian Religion (2 vols.)

Keep Smiling Smile

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS