Recommendations For A New Laptop

Page 1 of 1 (16 items)
This post has 15 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 107
Larry L. Dix | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Feb 11 2012 9:19 PM

Greetings,

I am in need of some advice on purchasing a new laptop. Currently when I am working I will have Logos, Microsoft Office, maybe Firefox, Windows Live Email running at the same time. With this in mind, are there any suggestions about what kind of processor, RAM, that I should look for in a new laptop? Would an I3 processor with 4gb be enough or would I need an I5 or I7. What has worked or not worked for you? Additionally, I have been envious of the pictures of some who have had multiple monitors while working with Logos, any recommendations about the type of video graphics card? Is an Intel HD 3000 sufficient enough?

Also, thinking of getting a tablet to use in the pulpit and when teaching classes (podiums are not really big enough to handle a laptop). Any suggestions as to which one has worked best for you?

Any suggestions that you are willing to share would be greatly appreciated.

Posts 8670
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 11 2012 9:37 PM

Larry, I would not get an i3 for Logos. It is a bottom end processor for word processing, email, and the Internet. So i5 or i7. Dave Hooten, an MVP, has an i5 and seems to like it. I have an i7 and finally feel I have a laptop that runs Logos well. I'd go with at least 6 GB of Ram. I have seen over 5 GB in use at time on my 8 GB machine. Be sure to get a dual core i5 processor (with four threads). If you go i7 get a quad core (with eight threads). Here's a comparison of mobile processors: http://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Processors-Benchmarklist.2436.0.html

Be sure to get a 7200 RPM drive.

You really want to spend the extra for a discrete graphics card. Get one with 1 GB of RAM.

My computer specs are given below.

I have no experience with tablets, but do know that the Android app is still in beta testing. The iOS app for the iPhone and iPad is further along with more capabilities. You can see what's up with the Android app here: http://community.logos.com/forums/t/34373.aspx I haven't seen a similar list for the iPhone/iPad but know that notes and highlighting are available on that platform.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 5585
Forum MVP
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 11 2012 10:51 PM

I have Intel HD3000 Graphics in my i5 Thinkpad, and I'm happy with its Logos performance.  It's as least as fast as the discrete graphics in my previous dual core laptop. I purposely avoided a discrete graphics card because of cost, heat and battery life, and I don't regret it.  If those things aren't concerns then by all means get the faster graphics.

I agree with Mark on his other points.

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 11 2012 11:39 PM

For Logos 4 use, concur with recommendation for 2nd Generation Intel i5 and i7, which includes July 2011 MacBook Air models (weighs about 3 pounds).

Apple offers refurbished MacBook Air models (same warranty as new) => http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/macbook_air  (if was shopping for Logos 4 use, would look for July 2011 models with 4 GB RAM)  Apple has a support article for running Windows 7 on MacBook Air using bootcamp =>  http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4410 

Also Apple offers refurbished iPad's => http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/ipad

Caveat: reading rumors about Apple updating MacBook Air and iPad's later this year (iPad may be within a month); Buyer's Guide => http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 23283
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 12 2012 2:06 AM

Mark Smith:
So i5 or i7. Dave Hooten, an MVP, has an i5 and seems to like it.

Dunno who that guy isSmile but first generation i5 is really good for L4, therefore second generation will be better.

New form factor Ultrabook is also worth considering - Netbook size but without the performance penalty as they run low heat versions of i5 & i7 and with SSD's built-in (or HDD's).

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 3163
Dominick Sela | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 12 2012 5:14 AM

One difference I would offer, if you can at all afford a solid state disk (SSD) in the size you need, it is well worth it. The difference in disk performance between an SSD and mechanical disk drive is incredible. Logos 4 needs good graphics (the discrete card Mark suggested), memory, a fast CPU, and a fast disk. 

Posts 25958
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 12 2012 5:35 AM

Larry - I will keep my comments to a minimum in the windows forum … Stick out tongue

If you are thinking about both a laptop and a tablet, I would suggest you consider a MacBook Air & iPad. It is wonderful having devices work together as well as Apple ones do. If you need convincing, start a thread in the Mac forum. Smile

OSX & iOS | Mac Logs | PC LogsInstall

Posts 5544
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 12 2012 7:35 AM

alabama24:

Larry - I will keep my comments to a minimum in the windows forum … Stick out tongue

If you are thinking about both a laptop and a tablet, I would suggest you consider a MacBook Air & iPad. It is wonderful having devices work together as well as Apple ones do. If you need convincing, start a thread in the Mac forum. Smile

If your primary reason for upgrading your laptop is to run Logos, then it would be a mistake to by an Apple product, IMHO, as Logos4 for Mac is still behind Logos4 for Windows, and is still having reliability  and other "issues."

Apple users love their machines, and Apple tech support is very, very good. But one cannot say that Logos4 runs as good on a Mac as it does on a Windows PC.

I haven't checked for a while, but when I did check Consumer Reports Dell and HP are considered the most reliable Windows PC's, and are the most well-liked by consumers who check in with them. I have almost always bought Dell's and really like the ability to customize on-line to get just what I want.

Most laptop graphics cards allow for a second monitor, but it's good to check to make sure that it will. Also check the type of connection needed as there is more than one spec for the type of cables needed (do you need an HDMI cable for your 2nd monitor, e.g.), and the screen sizes supported (will the card support 1680X1050, e.g.).

It's important to know what you want before you go shopping.

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 1445
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 12 2012 8:47 AM

If your primary reason for upgrading your laptop is to run Logos, then it would be a mistake to by an Apple product, IMHO, as Logos4 for Mac is still behind Logos4 for Windows, and is still having reliability  and other "issues."

Apple users love their machines, and Apple tech support is very, very good. But one cannot say that Logos4 runs as good on a Mac as it does on a Windows PC.

YesYesYes

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 12 2012 11:48 AM

Richard DeRuiter:
I have almost always bought Dell's and really like the ability to customize on-line to get just what I want.

Another option for Dell that has customization choices by others is buying from Dell Outlet, which has a twitter page with coupon codes.  Caveat: prudent to compare Dell Outlet price with build to order since Outlet price can range from being the same to about 50 % off (with a coupon).

Richard DeRuiter:

Thankful for many Logos 4.5 feature parity improvements; looking forward to future major releases.  Wiki has Mac and PC User Interface Differences => Feature Parity

Currently puzzled by Logos 4.5 on Mac taking noticeably longer to index than PC => Logos 4.5 Beta 12 Library Indexing Speed Regression - Mac is Slow

Thread => Logos is very slow - is this normal includes:

Mike Binks:
I know that it is counter intuitive - but you do still need to restart your mac occasionally if you run Logos.

Windows code - that underlies the Logos engine - has a built in 'dead man's handle' if you don't let it know you are there by restarting occasionally everything grinds to a halt.

- - - - - - -

Richard DeRuiter:

Depends on your Logos 4 usage style, whether Mac is as good as PC or not.

Personally switching my primary Logos 4 usage back to Mac since larger 27" screen can show more resources side by side, including periodic restart of Mac.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 570
Rev Chris | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 12 2012 12:15 PM

Larry L. Dix:

Additionally, I have been envious of the pictures of some who have had multiple monitors while working with Logos

You could always go with the 6-monitor setup from Amazon! Big Smile

Pastor, seminary trustee, and app developer.  Check out my latest app for churches: The Church App

Posts 493
David P. Moore | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 12 2012 8:29 PM

I would recommend paying attention to the screen resolution for the laptops that you are considering, based on what I learned recently in another thread. Otherwise you will get a less than desirable text display experience. A 1680×1050 resolution for a 15.4" monitor would be nice.

Posts 38
Douglas Stolberg | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 5 2012 9:41 PM

How about the AMD processors? I heard that the graphics processing was much improved.

What resolutions are a problem?

I am also contemplating a new laptop and these suggestions are a great help.

Posts 2771
Michael Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 6 2012 6:28 AM

David Thomas:

That is exactly why I bought a new PC for my last computer purchase.  My primary purpose for my computer is Logos.  That makes it a no brainer for me.  Of course, Apple fans would say that all PC purchases are "no brainer" purchases, but I disagree.  Wink

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 5544
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 6 2012 7:29 AM

Douglas Stolberg:
How about the AMD processors?

There was a time when AMD was ahead of Intel in some respects. There was a time that AMD was on a par with Intel in some respects. That time has past.

If you money is more important to you than processing power, speed and battery time, go with AMD. Logos4 is processor intensive -- just saying.

But don't take my word for it. Do a search on the internet for AMD vs Intel. Make sure you're looking at a current (2012) article and read for yourself.

Also, when you buy your laptop, look carefully at the video graphics specs. You'll want as much dedicated video RAM as possible (get as close to 1GB video RAM as you can afford).

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 38
Douglas Stolberg | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 6 2012 4:41 PM

Thanks Richard, the Logos mandate of dropping XP is nudging me to launch into modern times Embarrassed  I do know that the hard drive seems to be the key to speedy Logos as I put a 7200 rpm in my laptop and it made a big difference...and also at draining my battery faster Sad . Looks like it will be Intel then.

Page 1 of 1 (16 items) | RSS