Sil Exegetical Summaries

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 99
jtondee | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Feb 13 2012 4:26 PM

Ive been eyeing the SIL exegetical summaries for awhile now, and i'm pretty close to pulling the trigger, everything I have seen of them looks to be pretty useful. I know there is a page for the series from the wiki, but I am looking for user input. 

I realize they are not commentaries, they are exactly what they say exegetical summaries, but do you find them to be helpful and useful, especially with the amount of links contained within them.

I currently have platinum package, and have added, TNTC/TOTC,  and the BST series and quite a few monographs that have fit a particular need at particular times within my ministry. I am a pastor of small church and trying to build a well rounded library of books, Are there any suggestions, concerning books or commentary series or anything else for that matter around $400-500 that would be useful. (I don't have WBC, or the NINTC/NIOTC and some of the more expensive series, I would love to have them but they are out of my meager budget for now)

Thanks for the help

PS I know we get one of questions these about every week on the forums, but i certainly lve seeing different perspectives on Library building.

Posts 9051
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 13 2012 4:43 PM

If it were me I would be shopping around and asking around about buying WBC for under $500. It is available.

The exegetical summaries are useful, but mostly as a supplement to exegetical work in Greek. So if you are doing that, they can be helpful. As I said I'd spend the $500 on the WBC. Some have mentioned in the Forum that it available somewhere besides Logos though it is against forum rules to say where. That rule has been broken.

Another strong recommendation would be the IVP Reference Collection, again available elsewhere, and the Anchor-Yale Bible Dictionary (only through Logos).

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 201
Garrett Ho | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 13 2012 5:03 PM

How often do you use the NIGTC that comes with Platinum? If you don't use it at all, you probably don't need the exegetical summaries. If you do, then you might consider whether you need Do you need another commentary, or something quick that will list the "options".

The SIL Exegetical Summary series is helpful, but primarily as an original language help and supplement to trusted commentaries. Since you don't have it, I'd recommend getting WBC first (for value) and then whichever exegetical commentary would be your go-to resource. For me, that is often NICOT/NT.

Posts 349
Frank Fenby | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 13 2012 10:40 PM

jtondee:
i'm pretty close to pulling the trigger,

Pull it man, pull it! They are wonderful. They are in my "go to resourses" list.  Actually I make regular commentaries like WBC, NICOT/NICNT, etc. my "tools" of last resort. With the Exegetical Summaries you go right to the major works and can form your own opinions. With commentaries you have to filter through the bias of the commentator! Personally I prefer my own biases. Wink And the summaries have sorted things for you by bias. Betimes the exegetical summaries have exegetical questions that I failed to ask myself.

My only complaint with the exegetical summaries is that we do not have them for the 66 books!

Many of my Bible courses in seminary forbid us to use commentaries, we were to work from the whole book context down to the fine details. This procedure saves me many hours of groveling through other peoples ideas that often have very little to do with the context of the verse or original word at hand. My work here is the Alaskan Bush does not allow the luxury (i.e. pain) of plowing through 100's of pages of man's (especially western European man's) speculations on the text of Scripture. We have only need to apply the Scripture in its full context to the lives of people in their full context.

Posts 9914
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 14 2012 12:17 AM

jtondee:
Ive been eyeing the SIL exegetical summaries for awhile now, and i'm pretty close to pulling the trigger, everything I have seen of them looks to be pretty useful. I know there is a page for the series from the wiki, but I am looking for user input. 

The wiki page (in case anyone wonders) is here http://wiki.logos.com/Resource$3a_SIL_Summary_Series

We discussed the series here http://community.logos.com/forums/t/37053.aspx with some user input. Back then I was "pretty close to pulling the trigger" myself and have bought it. They are pretty helpful through the questions they ask and the listing of various answers from respected commentaries and bible translations. You will find examples in the thread - if you are interested in a specific passage, just tell.

I would prefer them to "one other series of commentaries" - but you might buy them one by one (same with WBC) according to your study interest or preaching plan. Back then I ended up buying the whole SIL series instead of only one or more books. I shared some of my impressions in the other thread - basically the linking to other resources sometimes doesn't work as smoothly as you'd expect. 

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 1374
nicky crane | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 14 2012 8:51 AM

Frank Fenby:
My only complaint with the exegetical summaries is that we do not have them for the 66 books!

I find them invaluable, tho frustrating that they don't cover more books!  

Posts 9914
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 1 2012 2:08 AM

nicky crane:

Frank Fenby:

I find them invaluable, tho frustrating that they don't cover more books!  

Update: The two missing volumes that were available from SIL but not from Logos are in PrePub now!

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 14
Ben Schoof | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 2 2012 8:56 PM

Frank Fenby:

jtondee:
i'm pretty close to pulling the trigger,

Pull it man, pull it! They are wonderful. They are in my "go to resourses" list.  Actually I make regular commentaries like WBC, NICOT/NICNT, etc. my "tools" of last resort. With the Exegetical Summaries you go right to the major works and can form your own opinions. With commentaries you have to filter through the bias of the commentator! Personally I prefer my own biases. Wink And the summaries have sorted things for you by bias. Betimes the exegetical summaries have exegetical questions that I failed to ask myself.

Many of my Bible courses in seminary forbid us to use commentaries, we were to work from the whole book context down to the fine details. This procedure saves me many hours of groveling through other peoples ideas that often have very little to do with the context of the verse or original word at hand. My work here is the Alaskan Bush does not allow the luxury (i.e. pain) of plowing through 100's of pages of man's (especially western European man's) speculations on the text of Scripture. We have only need to apply the Scripture in its full context to the lives of people in their full context.

You basically said everything I was going to say.

I have used them for exegesis papers in seminary and for exegetical sermon work, and they are fantastic if used correctly.

The correct way to use them is before you go to any other commentary. Basically they list all (or many) of the exegetical choices for each word and/or phrase of the original text. You can then make your own informed decisions on which way to go, then use NICOT/NICNT etc. to double check your work, thus avoiding the bias of the commentator.

I find especially the analysis of each phrase to be invaluable. Lexicons, and lemma searches in logos can help you decide the particular meaning of the word in each instance. But how each phrase fits together, how a preposition functions in each instance, these things I personally find much harder to analyze. But once the exegetical summary commentary gives me the options, I can usually work it out.

Provided you do actually have a good working knowledge of the original languages, these commentary sets are invaluable. The only people I'd recommend not buying them are those who don't know the originals (obviously) and those who are Hebrew & Greek and exegetical experts, they probably don't need them.

They are especially excellent in Logos once you start owning some of the big name commentary sets (NICNT, WBC, Hemeneia, etc.) because then you can hover over the link to get the context, or click on it to go straight to the volume. 

Whether or not to get this series or WBC first, I don't know. I own exegetical summary, WBC and NICOT/NICNT. I would advise to save up and get NICOT/NICNT before getting WBC. This is a personal taste, but I find the liberal bias and frequent skepticism of the bible's truthfulness in WBC to be quite a turn-off. I find NICOT/NICNT has equally good exegetical work, and less skepticism (as a whole, obviously you can find individual commentaries that are exceptions on both sides). 

So my advice is this: buy the exegetical summary series first. The price per volume of that series is excellent, and its usefulness is high, so its value for money is almost unparalleled. Then when you need a commentary on a specific book, buy an individual volume (research the best one for that particular book). If the volume you buy is part of a set, you can get that taken off the purchase price later on if you buy the set.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS