Suggestion: God's empowering presence by Gordon Fee

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
This post has 12 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 1506
Wild Eagle | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Feb 13 2012 4:57 PM

God's empowering presence by Gordon Fee

Fee offers a fresh and in-depth exegesis of every Spirit text in the Pauline corpus. Part Two synthesizes the analysis presented in Part One into a coherent invitation to consider the Holy Spirit’s crucial role in Pauline theology.

"Seldom does one find such a satisfying treatment of a theological topic so solidly based on serious and thorough exegetical analysis. In his study of the New Testament Fee recognizes and takes seriously the fact that Paul experienced the reality of the Spirit's empowering presence in his life and in the life of the church. Comprehensive in its scope, this scholarly volume speaks to pastors, students, and other church leaders as well as to the academic community. It is a good book that will do good." —Bruce M. Metzger, Professor of New Testament, Emeritus, Princeton Theological Seminary

"Fee's book is the most comprehensive treatment available of Paul's understanding of the Holy Spirit, a topic that has rarely received sufficient attention in studies of Pauline theology. Fee's method is exemplary: he first analyzes Paul's statements about the Spirit, in each individual letter, then moves to a synthesis of Paul's general pneumatology. The result is a book that is deeply exegetical, doing justice both to the particularity of Paul's writings and to the fundamental unity of his vision for the Spirit's role in the life of the Christian community. Most importantly, Fee emphasizes insistently that the Holy Spirit must be experienced as a living presence within the church. That message is both faithful to Paul and urgent for the community of faith in our time." —Richard B. Hays, Associate Professor of New Testament, The Divinity School, Duke University

"With the energy and care that is a trademark of his work, Gordon Fee here fills a significant gap in Pauline Studies. Both those who find talk about the Holy Spirit congenial and those who would happily marginalize it will be instructed by this book. Fee makes a genuine contribution as he examines Paul's letters in conversation with both the exegetical tradition of the academy and the pressing needs of the church." —Beverly R. Gaventa, Associate Professor of New Testament, Princeton Theological Seminary

"No man is greater than his prayer life. The pastor who is not praying is playing; the people who are not praying are straying." Leonard Ravenhill 

Posts 2279
Andy | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 13 2012 11:55 PM

Slava Novik:

This has been suggested before, but it is an excellent suggestion.

YesYes

Posts 19314
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 14 2012 12:05 AM

Yes indeed! Yes

Resource and feature suggestions should go in the Suggestions forum, by the way. The Logos folks who look in the forums for suggestions from us do not normally look in the General forum. But no worries this time, as I'm pretty sure they have this one on the list already, as it was suggested here.

Posts 2279
Andy | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 14 2012 12:10 AM

Rosie Perera:
But no worries this time, as I'm pretty sure they have this one on the list already, as it was suggested here.

I wonder if Logos have considered creating a list of previously suggested resources (a little bit like user voice)? I am not suggesting that they provide status updates (as negotiations with publishers are, I presume, sensitive), but it would be helpful to have a single place where we can see previous suggestions. I suppose this could be incorporated within the Wiki, but it would be more valuable to know that the suggestion has been noted by Logos.

Posts 140
Raymond Urne | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 14 2012 12:16 AM

Yes Yes! Have it in paper. It is good!

Posts 452
Is Mebin | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 14 2012 1:03 AM

I would like a Gordon Fee collection!Smile

Posts 824
GregW | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 14 2012 6:45 AM

Slava Novik:

YesYes

And to a Gordon Fee Collection

YesYesYes

Running Logos 6 Platinum and Logos Now on Surface Pro 4, 8 GB RAM, 256GB SSD, i5

Posts 19314
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 14 2012 11:26 AM

Just noticed that Gordon Fee's new Revelation commentary is now available in pre-pub as part of the New Covenant Commentary series! Yay! I took his class on Revelation at Regent College, and it was awesome. I've been looking forward to this commentary for years.

Posts 264
Michael G. Halpern | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 14 2012 11:31 AM

Yes Bring'em all.

Posts 138
LogosEmployee
Clifford Kvidahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 14 2012 11:35 AM

GregW:

Slava Novik:

YesYes

And to a Gordon Fee Collection

YesYesYes

A Fee collection is a great idea. But what kind of collection would you like to see? He has written many books, some of which we have and some we do not. If you could compile a collection of Fee, what would it look like? Try to keep commentaries in a separate collection. :)

Cliff

Posts 2745
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 14 2012 11:51 AM

Michael G. Halpern:

Yes Bring'em all.

YesIdea

Bohuslav

Posts 824
GregW | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 15 2012 2:39 PM

Clifford Kvidahl:

A Fee collection is a great idea. But what kind of collection would you like to see? He has written many books, some of which we have and some we do not. If you could compile a collection of Fee, what would it look like? Try to keep commentaries in a separate collection. :)

HI Cliff - I was thinking of things like:

• New Testament Exegesis
  • How to Read the Bible for All Its Worth
  • How to Read the Bible Book by Book (with Douglas Stuart)
  • How to Choose a Translation for All its Worth
  • New Testament Exegesis
  • To What End Exegesis?
  • God's Empowering Presence
  • Paul, the Spirit, and the People of God (possibly, but this is a popular version of GEP above)
  • The Disease of the Health and Wealth Gospels
  • Listening to the Spirit in the Text
  • Gospel and Spirit: Issues in New Testament Hermeneutics
  • Pauline Christology: an Exegetical-Theological Study
  • Discovering Biblical Equality: Complementarity Without Hierarchy

This omits works where he was a minor contributor (in amount rather than substance) and things like festschriften to which he contributed.  As far as commentaries are concerned, it might well be worth having a "Gordon Fee Commentaries collection" although I have got most of his commentaries in Logos already, but I am sure others, and especially Regent alumni, would be interested in them.

Running Logos 6 Platinum and Logos Now on Surface Pro 4, 8 GB RAM, 256GB SSD, i5

Posts 19314
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 15 2012 2:48 PM

GregW:
I am sure others, and especially Regent alumni, would be interested in them

That gives me a marketing idea for Logos. They should work on bundling together works by well-known seminary professors and market them with discounts for alumni of those institutions. Might be a good way to get some new customers on board. However it might complicate the purchasing system: people would have to prove they have a degree from an institution where that author taught. Not easy to handle. OK, well, never mind the discount then. Still, I bet people would be interested in buying collections of works by their favorite profs.

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS