Are there Pentecostal/Charismatic M.Div Users of Logos 4.5 ?

Page 3 of 3 (57 items) < Previous 1 2 3
This post has 56 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 1680
Jerry M | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 23 2012 8:25 AM

Peter Cellini:
Those with eyes can see.

My mother-in-law will go to the Adoration of the Eucharist and weep in God's presence.  Her tears become her language of devotion to Christ. I am not Catholic but I have eyes to see.  There are two sides to what you are saying.

"For the kingdom of God does not consist in words but in power"      Wiki Table of Contents

Posts 3667
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 23 2012 8:36 AM

In answer to the subject question, I'm claiming I'm a Christian... denominationally, I guess that puts me in the Assembly of catholic MethodoLutheroPresbyBaptiCostal Bible churches of Christ, even if I happen to be a PC (USA) pastor.Stick out tongueBig Smile

Grace & Peace,
Bill

Asus GF63 8RD, I-7 8850H, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 2TB HDD, NVIDIA GTX 1050Max
Samsung S9+, 64GB
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Posts 3767
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 23 2012 8:41 AM

i add to the voice of those who would like more charismatic as well as Pentecostal resources.  I keep wanting more Fee, for sure. 

I also would like more Anabaptist books, as one forum member has called for for years.  Now Logos has a nice collection.  Logos keeps adding and keeps growing. 

Thanks for adding these and other collections, Logos.  We look forward to what you will continue to add. 

As for the OP, I am not one for whom all the criteria fits, but I support your search.and hope more identify themselves to you.  I do agree that posting under "General" might yield more results.

I'd also like more books that show where charismatic and "non-charismatic" intersect, such as Kraft's "Christianity with Power", "Word and Power Church" (Doug Banister), Straight Talk on Spiritual Power (Bill Hull).  Sorry for being a bit off topic, painfree, but hope it is seen as providing a wider net of support.

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 336
Icarus38376 | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 23 2012 8:50 AM

Jerry M:
 Her tears become her language of devotion to Christ

Muslims weep before Allah...Weeping before a false christ does not make you right with God.  One needs to be born-again.  When they are born-again, they see evil for evil and run from blatant works salvation, idolatry and blasphemy.

Posts 39
John T Reagan | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 6 2012 10:14 AM

Graham, I searched my L4 library for Gordon Fee and came up with nothing.  Maybe I'm not doing the search right?  So far, my search for Pentecostal/Charismatic works -- especially commentaries -- is still coming up dry.

Posts 1880
Philana Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 6 2012 10:35 AM

John T Reagan:

Graham, I searched my L4 library for Gordon Fee and came up with nothing.  Maybe I'm not doing the search right?  So far, my search for Pentecostal/Charismatic works -- especially commentaries -- is still coming up dry.

Your library may not have any unless you have purchased books by Gordon Fee...you would need to go to www.logos.com to find Gordon Fee books.

Posts 127
Robert I | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 6 2012 1:22 PM

I only have an undergraduate degree in Biblical and Theological Studies but would love to get my M.Div. at some point.  I grew up Episcopalian but had a dramatic conversion at age 17 when I visited a non-denominational church.  The pastor (a 20 year Southern Baptist who had a 7 point sermon for the cessation of the gifts of the Holy Spirit only to have a Jack Deere experience when a Charismatic friend visited him and asked if he could pray for him) taught very Biblically and soundly thanks to his extensive theological training that complimented his experience (much like Gordon Fee).  I was fortunate to have a very sound theological foundation in approaching the Word of God.  Also, I went off to Gordon College only 1 year after my conversion, so that exposed me a bit early in my walk to more theological training.  Gordon Fee's son, Mark Fee, was also a Vineyard pastor for a time who was very theologically sound.  My current pastor (Calvary Chapel) is friends with Mark Fee and is very theologically sound.

I would love to see works from folks like Jack Deere, John White, John Wimber, and others who have taught at some respected seminaries as visiting professors.  I would also like to see more of C. Peter Wagner and the more extensive works of Gordon Fee.  I know know that J. I. Packer coined the phrase 3rd Waver for those not cessationists but not quite Pentecostal or Charismatic.  It is funny how the terms can have an unknown connotation in them.  In the South or the West, Charismatic is simply a non-cessationists.  Pentecostals are simply a flavor of Charismatics; however, after moving up to the East Coast, these terms are almost dirty words in some circles... even circles that are regularly considered Charismatic like Calvary Chapel.  I am sure that this comes from abuses within the church and errant theology.  I just hope we do not take a pendulum swing and create bad theology (and errant) that is just in opposition to error and fails to hold what Scripture says is the Christian experience as the standard.  Just because there are health-wealth preachers who abused faith does not mean we should take an anti-faith position.  On the contrary, faith is surprisingly huge topic that Jesus had a lot to say.  I do not want to recreate the NT version of the Mishnah in an attitude that results from fear (and took the Law further than it should ever have been taken).

I find myself a strong non-cessationist, most likely a Third Waver, and very appreciative of Gordon Fee's commentary on 1st Corinthians, Chuck Smith's book, "Living Water," and Jack Hayford's book, "Spirit-Filled."  I very much believe the Word of God is alive and powerful today as it was at the time that Christ walked with the Apostles and that He did truly call us to follow Him and walk the in power of the Holy Spirit as He did then, though God, yet emptying Himself in perfect obedience.  I say all that to express my desire to see more scholarship from this side.

...sorry for the over sharing, but I wanted to bring what I like to think might be a balanced view in my humble opinion.

Remaining in Him (1 John 2:28), Robert

Mac Book Pro, Windows 7 Professional, iPhone 4S, iPad 1

Posts 3767
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 6 2012 2:23 PM

Robert Iversen:

I only have an undergraduate degree in Biblical and Theological Studies but would love to get my M.Div. at some point.  I grew up Episcopalian but had a dramatic conversion at age 17 when I visited a non-denominational church.  The pastor (a 20 year Southern Baptist who had a 7 point sermon for the cessation of the gifts of the Holy Spirit only to have a Jack Deere experience when a Charismatic friend visited him and asked if he could pray for him) taught very Biblically and soundly thanks to his extensive theological training that complimented his experience (much like Gordon Fee).  I was fortunate to have a very sound theological foundation in approaching the Word of God.  Also, I went off to Gordon College only 1 year after my conversion, so that exposed me a bit early in my walk to more theological training.  Gordon Fee's son, Mark Fee, was also a Vineyard pastor for a time who was very theologically sound.  My current pastor (Calvary Chapel) is friends with Mark Fee and is very theologically sound.

I would love to see works from folks like Jack Deere, John White, John Wimber, and others who have taught at some respected seminaries as visiting professors.  I would also like to see more of C. Peter Wagner and the more extensive works of Gordon Fee.  I know know that J. I. Packer coined the phrase 3rd Waver for those not cessationists but not quite Pentecostal or Charismatic.  It is funny how the terms can have an unknown connotation in them.  In the South or the West, Charismatic is simply a non-cessationists.  Pentecostals are simply a flavor of Charismatics; however, after moving up to the East Coast, these terms are almost dirty words in some circles... even circles that are regularly considered Charismatic like Calvary Chapel.  I am sure that this comes from abuses within the church and errant theology.  I just hope we do not take a pendulum swing and create bad theology (and errant) that is just in opposition to error and fails to hold what Scripture says is the Christian experience as the standard.  Just because there are health-wealth preachers who abused faith does not mean we should take an anti-faith position.  On the contrary, faith is surprisingly huge topic that Jesus had a lot to say.  I do not want to recreate the NT version of the Mishnah in an attitude that results from fear (and took the Law further than it should ever have been taken).

I find myself a strong non-cessationist, most likely a Third Waver, and very appreciative of Gordon Fee's commentary on 1st Corinthians, Chuck Smith's book, "Living Water," and Jack Hayford's book, "Spirit-Filled."  I very much believe the Word of God is alive and powerful today as it was at the time that Christ walked with the Apostles and that He did truly call us to follow Him and walk the in power of the Holy Spirit as He did then, though God, yet emptying Himself in perfect obedience.  I say all that to express my desire to see more scholarship from this side.

...sorry for the over sharing, but I wanted to bring what I like to think might be a balanced view in my humble opinion.

you have an interesting background/story.  Blessings on your continued walk with Jesus.

Dan

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 127
Robert I | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 6 2012 2:36 PM

Dan DeVilder:

Blessings on your continued walk with Jesus.

Dan

Humbly... thank you and amen to that, sir.

Posts 98
Ed Blough | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 7 2012 9:56 AM

As I posted in another thread I think the problem is more the lack of material than prejudice on Logos' part. 

Stanley Horton has written a number of excellent books and they are offered by Logos as is a number of Jack Hayford's works.   However the Pentecostal community is lacking prolific writers.  Most of the books that are produced by Pentecostal authors are Christian living and Christian fiction rather than research resources.

The one Book I would like to see Logos get is the Full Life Study Bible written by Donald Stamp and published by Zondervan (as much as I dislike Zondervan). It is now called the Life in the Spirit Bible and/or the "Fire Bible". It has been produced under all three names. It is truly an excellent Pentecostal Study Bible, in fact I consider it the best.

Posts 3667
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 7 2012 11:52 AM

Part of the problem is definitions... as a Presbyterian pastor, I won't fit anyone's definition of pentecostal/charismatic, though I think of myself as more Presbycostal than frozen chosen. Big Smile (just trying to lighten things up. lol)

Grace & Peace,
Bill

Asus GF63 8RD, I-7 8850H, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 2TB HDD, NVIDIA GTX 1050Max
Samsung S9+, 64GB
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Posts 26764
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 7 2012 1:13 PM

BillS:
Presbycostal

Yes

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 127
Robert I | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 7 2012 1:41 PM

BillS:

Part of the problem is definitions... as a Presbyterian pastor, I won't fit anyone's definition of pentecostal/charismatic, though I think of myself as more Presbycostal than frozen chosen. Big Smile (just trying to lighten things up. lol)

YesYes !

Posts 98
Ed Blough | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 8 2012 9:44 AM

Perhaps a better term would be Non Cessationalist.Big Smile

Posts 1852
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 8 2012 1:17 PM

Ed Blough:

Perhaps a better term would be Non Cessationalist.Big Smile

or stated positively, a continuationist

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 127
Robert I | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 8 2012 8:49 PM

David Thomas:

or stated positively, a continuationist

I like that!

Yes

Posts 2736
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 9 2012 1:20 AM

David Thomas:

Ed Blough: