Which Commentaries? Why?

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 221
James Thompson | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Feb 23 2012 6:25 PM

A quick question to the informed out there... which would you select? 1. Upgrade Baker Exegetical, 2. Purchase the Interpretation Series, 3. Purchase the Pillar Series or 4. Purchase the New International Biblical Commentaries. All these are roughly in the same ballpark price wise. I'm just interested in your thoughts quality/scholarship wise. Thanks!

Posts 138
LogosEmployee
Clifford Kvidahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 23 2012 6:41 PM

James Thompson:

A quick question to the informed out there... which would you select? 1. Upgrade Baker Exegetical, 2. Purchase the Interpretation Series, 3. Purchase the Pillar Series or 4. Purchase the New International Biblical Commentaries. All these are roughly in the same ballpark price wise. I'm just interested in your thoughts quality/scholarship wise. Thanks!

James,

All of the sets that you mentioned are excellent in one way or another. Answering your question can be somewhat difficult. Because users have different needs and areas of study, they may prefer one set over the other. If you were to ask me as an employee, I would say get them all. But if you were to ask me as a longtime users of Logos and a student, I would rank them in this order:

1. Pillar
  2. Upgrade BECNT
  3. Interpretation
  4. NIBC

Each of these has there strengths-and their limitations. But this is how I would rank them in terms of exegetical strengths.

I hope this helps.

Cliff

Posts 5285
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 23 2012 8:25 PM

Personally I fined most of the time the New Interpreter's Bible much better done than the Interpretation series, both are fine series and each has strong and week points, but at $489, you get a far better set than Interpretation, and you can use some of that money to get other items. New Interpreter's Bible (12 vols.) is less than a quarter a page (they are pretty big pages too compared to the Interpretation volumes. I am no knocking the JKP series it is good, I just think NIB is better.

-Dan

PS:http://community.logos.com/forums/t/45235.aspx has numerous examples linked there...

Posts 2841
Michael Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 23 2012 8:42 PM

I agree with Cliff.  I would put Pillar number one of the options you gave.

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 1357
Edwin Bowden | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 24 2012 5:08 AM

Michael Childs:

I agree with Cliff.  I would put Pillar number one of the options you gave.

I agree with the order, except I have not used Interpretation.

Posts 450
Alexander | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 24 2012 6:37 AM

I agree with Cliff - it really depends on what you want. For me, I prefer NICOT/NT, WBC, and Tyndale to be my top three depending on how deep I want to go in the text. With any series, however, there is not one complete commentary that has every book done to the same quality of level. So, with Cliff again, I'd say buy those commentaries that complement each other well (NICOT/NT and WBC complement each other very well if you want a very high quality mix of conservative reading).

Posts 1512
Josh | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 24 2012 8:12 AM

I own both Pillar and BECNT. They both have been fantastic resources. I like BECNT slightly better though. Bock did an amazing job on Luke.

Posts 3690
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 24 2012 10:50 AM

I have the Baker NT & Baker Exegetical NT & I'm learning to appreciate the Bake NT (though you didn't mention it) even more than the Exegetical version... more applications. Both are spot on. But for preaching I find I only need one good exegetical commentary, whereas I need many commentaries that help me see new applications... Many of the Scriptures, we're going to preach more than once. It really helps to have new applications each time. :-)

Grace & Peace,
Bill

MSI GF63 8RD, I-7 8850H, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 2TB HDD, NVIDIA GTX 1050Max
Samsung S9+, 64GB
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Posts 221
James Thompson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 29 2012 12:37 PM

BillS:
I have the Baker NT & Baker Exegetical NT & I'm learning to appreciate the Bake NT (though you didn't mention it) even more than the Exegetical version... more applications. Both are spot on. But for preaching I find I only need one good exegetical commentary, whereas I need many commentaries that help me see new applications... Many of the Scriptures, we're going to preach more than once. It really helps to have new applications each time. :-)

That's exactly what I'm looking for Bill: a very good blend of exegetical and the application. I, too, have some very good exegetical material but I'm always looking for good application material. That's why I was leaning toward the Interpretation Series. I also have NIVAC, which I like, and Preachers Commentary. I hadn't considered Baker NT so I'll look at that series too.

Thanks to all who commented. Appreciate your thoughts!!!   Yes

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS