Logos 4 sluggish - any suggestions?

Page 1 of 1 (20 items)
This post has 19 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 493
Brian W. Davidson | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Nov 12 2009 9:27 AM

I am having a couple problems with Logos 4. If anyone has any answered I would be very grateful.

1. Logos 4 is rarely responsive to scrolling with the trackpad on my laptop. I do not think the issue is with my laptop because 3.0 still has no issue whatsoever with this, nor does any other program I use (e.g. Word '07)

2. The information window takes several seconds to display information. This is not so much an issue if I am hovering over a scripture reference or abbreviation. The issue is with tagged Bible texts. I don't understand why it would take so long. The pop-up window comes up instantly.

Logos 4 is responding sluggishly as a whole. Sometimes it can take a few  seconds just to close a tab. But searching is not an issue. The whole indexing process seems to have worked like a charm. I can search my whole library in a second or two, but when it comes to displaying the results of the search it may take anywhere from 5 seconds to a minute. Maybe I am wrong, but I do not think the problem is my laptop. No other programs I use have these types of issues (including 3.0).

My laptop: brand new 14" Acer Timeline; 1.3 GHz Intel Core Duo processor; 4GB DDR3 RAM; Windows 7

Collection: Platinum with several add-ons

Brian Davidson

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 12 2009 9:49 AM

BrianWayneDavidson:
1. Logos 4 is rarely responsive to scrolling with the trackpad on my laptop. I do not think the issue is with my laptop because 3.0 still has no issue whatsoever with this, nor does any other program I use (e.g. Word '07)

Scrolling is not yet implemented in L4 (but it's coming). Use PageUp/PageDown, the Space bar, or the Windows scroll bar to scroll for now.

BrianWayneDavidson:
2. The information window takes several seconds to display information. This is not so much an issue if I am hovering over a scripture reference or abbreviation. The issue is with tagged Bible texts. I don't understand why it would take so long. The pop-up window comes up instantly.

BrianWayneDavidson:
Logos 4 is responding sluggishly as a whole.

I assume indexing has finished. If not, it will be more sluggish until it does.

There have been reports of some components of L4 causing lag on some systems. Logos is looking into this, but we haven't had any reports of how/when this could be resolved. Keep watch. In the mean time, try working without these components running: Cited By; Power Look-up; Interesting Words, also, if you run a Reading list, use Calendar form (not list form).

BrianWayneDavidson:
My laptop: brand new 14" Acer Timeline; 1.3 GHz Intel Core Duo processor; 4GB DDR3 RAM; Windows 7

I assume this is a Core2 Duo. Is Win7 32bit or 64bit? Do you have integrated (vs dedicated) video (most laptops do)?

One person reported significant performance improvement by turning off Spybot Search and Destroy's "Tea Timer."  You can try that (if you have it running), and look at other system monitoring processes you may have running.

Once again, Logos is looking into this. If all else fails, be patient; finding and solving issues like these can be amazingly difficult.

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 59
Nathan Wells | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 12 2009 10:26 AM

Interesting, "Scrolling is not yet implemented in L4"
Scrolling works for me, but it is sluggish - hopefully that will be resolved like you are saying - but releasing a program without scrolling, that's kinda weird...

L4 does seem sluggish as a whole, it would be cool if there was a feature to get rid of all the eye-candy, because I really think that is what makes it slow.

I agree that searching works great - much faster than L3 for sure (I was not really happy with L4 until I tried a search)! But I have the same issue with the information window, as well as when I right click on a word, the menu pops up, but it takes a few seconds for the menu to be populated - I understand that it is searching for information, but I like the old way - in L3 it was instant and I could go from lemma to a dictionary without any waiting...I want that back (am I missing something, can I disable something to make it instant?).

-nathan

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 12 2009 10:50 AM

NathanWells:
Interesting, "Scrolling is not yet implemented in L4"
Scrolling works for me, but it is sluggish - hopefully that will be resolved like you are saying - but releasing a program without scrolling, that's kinda weird...

By 'scrolling' I assumed that Brian was talking about a function many laptops and 3-wheel/button mice have that allow scrolling from the mouse cursor. Basically you enter 'scrolling mode' by pressing the cursor pad in a certain place, starting with a key combination, or pressing the middle-wheel/button of a three button mouse. An arrow appears and you move the mouse cursor up or down to scroll the page.

Of course you can scroll with the scroll bars, arrow keys, etc. But that's not the same as 'scrolling.'

Don't you just love overlapping terminology?

Posts 97
Greg Gray | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 12 2009 2:17 PM

Brian, I have almost the exact same specs as you with very similar issues.  I started a thread to try to standardize some tests to hopefully try to pinpoint the issues that are slowing up some systems.  

The thread is here:  http://community.logos.com/forums/t/4562.aspx

Also, Richard - would you mind taking the test as well as a reference point for a system that is working well with V4? 

Posts 493
Brian W. Davidson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 12 2009 3:19 PM

Thanks for the reply, guys. It is encouraging to know that there are at least a couple others having the same issues.

Richard:

1. Yes, what I meant by scrolling is moving up and down within a resource by using the "trackpad" or "touch pad" on my laptop. I hope this is what you are referring to when you say that scrolling is not yet a part of L4 but will be in the future.

2. Yes, indexing has stopped. I didn't touch the program until all the installation stuff (including indexing) was totally finished. The processor is a Core2 Duo and Windows is 64bit. I don't know about whether the video is integrated or dedicated.

3. What is Spybot search and Destroyer's "Tea Time"? I am not familiar with those words at all.

Brian

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 12 2009 4:04 PM

1. Yes, scrolling, as you and I understand that term, is coming (woo-hoo!).

2. The information window is one of those modules that seems to slow down the rest of L4. Hopefully a fix is coming soon.

3. "Spybot Search and Destroy" is an anti-spyware program. It has a component it calls "Tea Timer" (because that what its original programmer actually built it to do -- back on topic, Richard [takes breath] okay...).  If you don't know what it is, it's not likely that you have a problem with it, unless you have a 'helpful' person who occasionally does things to your computer to make it run better.

Posts 10
David M. Hunt | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 21 2009 11:00 AM

I see the last post, which I could find, in regards to using a scroll wheel was this one. I am just wondering if there has been any news concerning the patch's ETA - being  a creature of habit, I have become conditioned (if not dependent) on that basic capability in the other software I use. Thank you guys for all you help.

David

Posts 41
Rick Goettsche | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 21 2009 11:32 AM

I don't know all the details on this, but I was unable to use my trackpad to scroll in Logos 4. Then, in an effort to reclaim some speed I set Logos to run as administrator, and lo and behold, my trackpad works for scrolling! I have read the statements that it is not yet implemented in the platform on which Logos 4 is built, and I can't explain why mine suddenly works, but it does. Give that a try and see if it helps you.

Posts 10
David M. Hunt | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 21 2009 1:33 PM

Thanks for the suggestion Rick, I really appreciate it - but still no scrolling  joy here! It is odd that that made a difference in your case. Is your "usual" account a "limited user" or is it an admin account just not the "Administrator" account - just curious? Thanks again Rick!

David

Posts 323
Doug | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 21 2009 3:48 PM

Hey guys,

Scrolling, as you guys understand it, didn't work for me either until I turned off my tablet input and (this is the one I think made it work) right clicked on the L4 icon, went to compatability settings and ticked on the "Run as Administrator" box.

Now it works fine.  That was my biggest gripe with L4.  I was so used to that in L3 that it really bugged me that it wouldn't work in L4.  But no more problems with it now.  In fact, L4 is running much better overall now.

Posts 10
David M. Hunt | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 22 2009 8:13 AM

Thanks for the clarification Douglas.I have it running as Admin now, but I have nothing to scroll ... My Library is gone ... and I can't find info on the forums that tells how to reload it and index (if necessary) -

Any help would be appreciated ... thank you very much

I am running XP Pro on a Lenovo (IBM) X301 (I wasn't real keen on Vista) - 2GB Ram and shared RAM w/video (an assumption- I've never looked into it) - Core 2 Duo 1.4Ghz

David

Posts 13412
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 22 2009 8:19 AM

You shouldn't really run Logos with different permissions from those you had when you ran it for the first time. It can cause errors. I'd untick the "Run as administrator" if I were you, especially as it's not helping.

I can't help you on the scrolling issue, I'm afraid. If you're running RC2 then you'd probably be better off looking for the discussions on scrolling in the beta forum. If you're running SR-7, I think there were some scrolling problems.

Posts 10
David M. Hunt | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 22 2009 8:58 AM

Thanks Mark, I have gone back to running it under my credentials - I appreciate the heads up ... I don't really like the idea of having to do that with brand new software. I assume it was created while, both Vista AND Win 7 were "in sight" - so, even though it works, I wasn't feelin' real good about having to implement that drastic of a work around while using XP Pro -

So, back to my original question, I guess - Any word on an ETA for scrolling (with a scroll wheel/trackpad?

Thanks,

David

Posts 13412
Posts 41
Rick Goettsche | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 22 2009 9:15 AM

David, I realized this morning that I may have remembered incorrectly. Around the same time I made the switch to "run as administrator" I also upgraded to the Release Candidate. I can't be entirely sure whether it was running as administrator or updating to the RC that gave me trackpad scrolling. If you don't want to install something that is still technically beta (though they say RC2 is quite stable), you can wait another week or so and see if 4.0a gives you scrolling. Hope that helps! Sorry for my fuzzy memory!

Posts 10
David M. Hunt | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 22 2009 9:44 AM

Rick - that's fine ... I know EXACTLY what the "Fuzzy Memory Syndrome" feels like - I've been battling it for some time now ... Fortunately, His Grace IS sufficient! LOL - No worries my friend, I really appreciate the info that you did offer, and how quickly you replied!!! I think I'll try the Beta ... If The Lord is for me, what Beta Software can be against me?! ... Plus I really miss being able to scroll w/ mouse ... especially with so many windows opened - it leaves for small viewing areas - Thanks Rick!

David

Mark - I appreciate the link ... and the detective work - I searched under many "Scroll" and "Scroll Wheel" search strings, so would have probably had a tough time finding that, if I had decided to search some more. I appreciate your quick responses too!!

David

Posts 3118
Tes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 22 2009 10:04 AM

I have been asking to Logos to include the Amharic bible in their Format,(the Haileselassie 1) for about  two years ,I  still keep on reminding.

I have sent them as sugestion too.

Blessings in Christ.

Posts 323
Doug | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 22 2009 2:34 PM

I started running as administrator with SR7 and it caused scrolling to start working for me.  I now have RC2 and it still works fine.  It didn't affect my library or give me any other problems.  It did set L4 free.  It was like cutting chains off of it.  It runs faster, the sluggishness is gone, and the scrolling works.  The only drawback I'm experiencing is that I have to click the UAC button everytime I start L4.  No other problems though and the improved performance is worth the button click. 

Posts 10
David M. Hunt | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 23 2009 8:57 AM

Was the account (Windows Account) that L4 was installed under, originally, a "limited User Account" or an Admin account, just not "The" Administrator account?

Page 1 of 1 (20 items) | RSS