What is the best tablet for using Logos?

Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 21 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 276
Mark Johnson | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Feb 27 2012 9:16 AM

I am thinking about getting a tablet and would use Logos on it.  What are your recommendations?  What is the best Android based tablet?  Is the Ipad better than the Anfroid?  By the way, I use an Android phone and Windows on my computer (if this makes any difference).

Posts 1875
Paul-C | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 27 2012 9:27 AM

[EDIT: Declaration of interest - I am an Apple fan boy! Surprise]

Personally speaking, I wouldn't commit to purchasing a tablet device until I'd taken a look at the third generation iPad which is rumored to be announced on 7 March 2012 and available for purchase later that month.  It's all conjecture at the moment, but the way these rumors are coming thick and fast right now suggests something is in the offing from Apple.

I've used a first generation iPad with Logos for a few months.  The main benefit to me of using an iPad (which I guess will be true of many other tablet devices) is that it allows me to interact with my Logos resources more like a conventional book (as opposed to reading them on a computer screen.) 

Do remember that Logos 4 does not work on the iPad.  The iPad runs its own Logos iOS app.  This has much scaled-down functionality compared to Logos 4, but is still a great asset to have whilst on the move!

Posts 596
LaRosa Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 27 2012 9:27 AM

Having used an Android tablet (Asus Transformer) and an iPad2, I would recommend the iPad, specifically because Logos' iOS development is much further along than is Android at this time. I will say that I loved using the Android tablet, but if primarily for Logos, then iPad is the way to go right now.

Urban Scholar - http://urban-scholar.com 
Christ-centered Hip-Hop - http://www.sphereofhiphop.com

Posts 885
Brother Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 27 2012 9:31 AM

Mark Johnson:

I am thinking about getting a tablet and would use Logos on it.  What are your recommendations?  What is the best Android based tablet?  Is the Ipad better than the Anfroid?  By the way, I use an Android phone and Windows on my computer (if this makes any difference).

You'll get lots of opinions from folks that own both IOS and Android tablets, but you're going to find that Logos on an IOS tablet (an iPad) is still more mature (feature rich and less buggy) than Logos on Android.  It won't be that way forever, and when Logos reaches parity on both platforms, your question will probably move from "which is better" to "which is less expensive".... or which is more reliable, etc.

"I read dead people..."

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 27 2012 10:18 AM

Mark Johnson:
I am thinking about getting a tablet and would use Logos on it.  What are your recommendations? 

Currently Logos mobile apps have more features in iOS.

Some retailers are discounting current iPad 2 models in anticipation of iPad 3 (rumor of Tue 7 Mar announcement).

Apple offers refurbished iPad's => http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/ipad (anticipating price drop after iPad 3)

Mark Johnson:
What is the best Android based tablet?

Android forum has thread => Best Android Tablet?

PC World has an article => http://www.pcworld.com/article/245154/tablets_in_2012_what_to_expect.html

Caveat: blog article wonders about Android tablet sales => http://www.livedigitally.com/2012/01/26/did-manufacturers-lose-2-billion-on-android-tablets-last-quarter/

Mark Johnson:
Is the Ipad better than the Anfroid?

Comparison of e-book readers => http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20009738-1/kindle-vs-nook-vs-ipad-which-e-book-reader-should-you-buy/ (story update is planned after iPad 3, already includes $ 199 Nook Tablet)

The # 1 Android tablet (volume shipped) is the $ 199 Amazon Fire => http://www.bgr.com/2012/02/16/explosive-debut-quarter-brings-kindle-fire-14-share-of-tablet-market/ that was a bit less than 10 % of Apple iPad sales in 2011.

Survey notes Amazon Fire likes and dislikes => http://news.cnet.com/8301-13924_3-57370148-64/survey-cites-amazon-kindle-fire-likes-and-dislikes/

Mark Johnson:
By the way, I use an Android phone and Windows on my computer (if this makes any difference).

Realistically makes no difference.

By the way, Apple provides free iOS upgrades, while a variety of Android phones lack OS updates from manufacturers => http://theunderstatement.com/post/11982112928/android-orphans-visualizing-a-sad-history-of-support

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 110
Ron Cook | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 27 2012 11:29 AM

I'm not an apple fanboy but I have become an iPad fanboy.  I use a windows laptop, and android phone, and I bought my wife a kindle fire for Christmas.  However, I absolutely love my ipad.  I used to enjoy tweaking computer systems and building custom pc's but the older and busier I get the more I just want things to work.  For me, the iPad just works, all the time.  There is no arguing that the Logos app is more feature rich on ios than on android.  If money is no object would you rather have a Kia or a Lexus?  (somebody is going to hate me for saying that :))

Samsung Series 7; Windows 8 64 bit; Intel Core i7-3635QM @2.4GHz; 8 GB RAM; 1 GB NVIDIA GeForce GT640M

Posts 27561
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 27 2012 1:41 PM

Ron Cook:
I'm not an apple fanboy but I have become an iPad fanboy.

You are on your way my friend, on your way. Smile

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 1418
Wild Eagle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 27 2012 1:53 PM

IPad, iPad, and iPad 

"No man is greater than his prayer life. The pastor who is not praying is playing; the people who are not praying are straying." Leonard Ravenhill 

Posts 27561
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 27 2012 2:11 PM

Slava Novik:
IPad, iPad, and iPad 

What's your fourth choice?

Posts 1418
Wild Eagle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 27 2012 7:51 PM

alabama24:

What's your fourth choice?

Iphone Smile, even though it is not a tablet 

"No man is greater than his prayer life. The pastor who is not praying is playing; the people who are not praying are straying." Leonard Ravenhill 

Posts 27561
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 27 2012 8:11 PM

Big Smile

Posts 1202
Ward Walker | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 27 2012 8:12 PM

Agree with the above, although I use a Windows Tablet--I'm partial to convertible tablets because I highlight a lot, and the keyboard shortcuts really speed me up.  I use a Windows tablet because that way I have the full version of Logos and all resources available to me--no compromises.

downside is it is heavier than an iPad and the battery life is good for only about 2 hours.

Posts 2824
Michael Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 27 2012 8:25 PM

Paul Clarke:
Personally speaking, I wouldn't commit to purchasing a tablet device until I'd taken a look at the third generation iPad which is rumored to be announced on 7 March 2012 and available for purchase later that month.

Me 2!  I did not upgrade from iPad 1 ti iPad 2 because the screen resolution was the same and I saw no benefit for Logos.  But the jump in screen resolution and the upgrade in processor makes iPad 3 sound like a big leap forward.

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 27 2012 8:36 PM

An iPad alternative may be an ultrabook, which can run Logos 4.5

For ultrabook hardware, Apple's refurbished MacBook Air models currently offer the best value: e.g. $ 999 => http://store.apple.com/us/product/FC969LL/A  (1.6 GHz i5, 4 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD, 1366 x 768 on 11" screen) with $100 more being bit faster and larger screen  => http://store.apple.com/us/product/FC965LL/A  (1.7 GHz i5, 4 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD, 1440 x 900 on 13" screen) while weighing a tad under 3 pounds.

Anticipating MacBook Air model refreshes later this year, which should be accompanied by refurbished price drop; reading rumors about new Intel mobile CPU's shipping in June so MacBook Air refresh may be weeks later.

Personally dreaming of a MacBook Air with a touch screen (would like to use finger gestures on screen like an iPad), but have no idea about future Apple products.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 2811
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 27 2012 8:38 PM

Mark Johnson:
What is the best Android based tablet?

I can't recommend the best, but I can recommend against what I've tried:  Kindle Fire.  While it runs, it just barely runs.  I don't recommend it.  I know it is not a true tablet, but it says it will run android apps.  It doesn't handle Logos very well.

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 602
Bill Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 27 2012 8:57 PM

I have used the Logos app on an iPad 2 and now use the Android app on an Asus Transformer Prime since the split screen functionality came to Android. On the Android side of the fence, this is the tablet I would recommend.

Posts 483
Gary Butner, Th.D. | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 28 2012 6:01 AM

I have an iPad 1.  My dream is an iPad 3, with the new high resolution screen.

Posts 1875
Paul-C | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 28 2012 6:19 AM

If you're not too interested in having the "latest and greatest" iPad, I suspect the price of the iPad 2 will drop on a new iPad hitting the market (in fact, it seems a few retailers are already trimming prices.) 

Also, Apple do have some great deals on refurbished iPads on their website.  I bought a first generation refurbished iPad and it really was like brand-new when I opened the box, and came with the same Apple warranty as a brand new iPad.

If you do opt for an iPad, think about how much storage you're likely to need, and also whether you will require 3G.  I found 32GB storage more than enough, for downloading books, emails, music and a lot of photos ( - I don't think I ever used much more than c.20GB.)  I also didn't need 3G since I have a mobile phone which, if necessary, I could set up to tether to the iPad thus giving it Internet access away from WiFi hotspots.

Posts 2695
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 28 2012 10:01 AM

Don't buy until after March 7 no matter what you do. Apple confirmed today they are announcing the new iPad 3 on that day. If they indeed give us a the higher res display then using Logos on that will be AWESOME!! The crispness of the text will beat the best Android device. It also looks like it will likely be about $80 more than previous iPads.

Posts 3659
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 28 2012 3:40 PM

Though I don't have an android tablet, I do have an android phone. And I'm irritated with android for its general inability to play well with other software that I have (notably, MS Office, and especially Outlook). In addition, I'm not at all confident that my vendor will update the version of android on my device, whereas all apple users regularly get all the updates.

Lastly, I saw an article in one of the computing pundit mags last week to the effect that on average users paid twice as much for apps on android as they did for apps on ios.

It's looking like I may go over to the dark side (apple), too...Big Smile

Grace & Peace,
Bill

Asus GF63 8RD, I-7 8850H, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 2TB HDD, NVIDIA GTX 1050Max
Samsung S9+, 64GB
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS