Questions about Upgrading

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
This post has 12 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 98
Christopher Powell | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Nov 12 2009 11:56 AM

Hi All,

I have spent some time going through the threads examining some of the feedback on Logos 4 and it has raised some questions for me, and I wondered if some kind beta-tester or Logos type might be able to answer them for me.

In the final final version (2nd Quarter 2010) which is when I'm likely to upgrade now based on the feedback I have read:

1) Will MS Word SmartTags be supported?  This is an absolutely CRITICAL feature for me.  I use it every day and would be lost without it.  This is the number 1 reason I won't be upgrading currently.  I don't believe I have the "provide feedback" enabled on my software.

2) I have MANY older resources that I use daily including some from the E4 group.  These are some of my most valuable resources.  My question is - will they work under Logos 4?  I know that PBB support is delayed, and, as long as that still comes through that's fine.  E4 and PBB resources are constantly in use on my desktop.

Thanks in advance and Blessings,

Chris.

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 12 2009 11:57 AM

ChristopherPowell:
1) Will MS Word SmartTags be supported?  This is an absolutely CRITICAL feature for me.  I use it every day and would be lost without it.  This is the number 1 reason I won't be upgrading currently.  I don't believe I have the "provide feedback" enabled on my software.

No assurance has been given, but Bob has taken note of the fact that it means a great deal to so many people.

Posts 98
Christopher Powell | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 12 2009 1:04 PM

Thanks Phil,

If they couldn't do SmartTags, I hope they would be able to do something like "RefTagger" for other (non-web) applications.   I loved InstaVerse (www.instaverse.com) but I can't get it to work on Vista.  So, I have come to depend on Logos' MS Word Smart Tags.

Blessings,

Chris.

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 12 2009 1:22 PM

ChristopherPowell:
2) I have MANY older resources that I use daily including some from the E4 group.  These are some of my most valuable resources.  My question is - will they work under Logos 4?  I know that PBB support is delayed, and, as long as that still comes through that's fine.  E4 and PBB resources are constantly in use on my desktop.

I'm not aware of any E4 books that aren't working with L4, but if you have a specific title you'd like me to check. I'll do it. I do have some E4 resources working in L4 and may have the one(s) you'd like.

[I don't have MSWord (never wanted to downgrade from WordPerfect) and so have never used SmartTags. Therefore I don't miss them.]

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 98
Christopher Powell | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 12 2009 1:49 PM

Thanks Rich, what do you use for quick access to bible verses?  As for the E4 offer, thank you - we'll start with - can you access Morton Smith's Systematic Theology or a Brackel's "A Christian's Reasonable Service"? 

Blessings,

Chris.

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 12 2009 2:18 PM

ChristopherPowell:
Thanks Rich, what do you use for quick access to bible verses?  As for the E4 offer, thank you - we'll start with - can you access Morton Smith's Systematic Theology or a Brackel's "A Christian's Reasonable Service"? 

Quick access to Bible verses? Not sure what you mean. I just highlight my Bible (or open a new one) and type in the Bible reference. If I want to go deeper I run an EG or a PG, or I just start hunting things down myself.

I have Morton Smith's ST and aBrakel's CRS (vols 1-4).

Posts 98
Christopher Powell | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 16 2009 9:09 AM

Rich, I mean if you want to copy verses into a sermon manuscript - how do you do it? 

Also, and this is for those who do use Word, does the upgrade to L4 break the smarttags functionality?  I thought that L3 separately still works - does the upgrade break the existing smarttag functionality?

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 16 2009 10:11 AM

ChristopherPowell:
Rich, I mean if you want to copy verses into a sermon manuscript - how do you do it? 

I use the Copy Bible Verse module from the Tools menu.

ChristopherPowell:
Also, and this is for those who do use Word, does the upgrade to L4 break the smarttags functionality?  I thought that L3 separately still works - does the upgrade break the existing smarttag functionality?

I don't use Word, but from what I'm reading smarttags are not (yet) working in L4.

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 16 2009 10:48 AM

ChristopherPowell:

No. They just go through L3 rather then L4, which means you have to have both running. Smart tags still work, we just want them to work our way :-)

Posts 14
Kenton Church EPC | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 16 2009 2:23 PM

I have the same issue with third party resources from Nelson etc.  I use the New International Commentary and Preachers Commentary along with Webber's set of books on worship. Will they work on L4? I'd love to have the multiple monitor support so I could split my resources but if I have to use version 3 to access them there's not much reason to upgrade IMHO.

Anyone got a clue as to this.

Alan

Posts 1666
SteveF | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 16 2009 2:40 PM

I have Webbers "worship" books and Preacher's Commetary in L3 - it works in L4..

Not sure which "New International Commentary" you mean. If the one that just graduated from Pre-pub, yes they also work in L4.

In L3 load one of Webber's books

Under HELP click ABOUT THIS RESOURCE go down until you see Resource Location - the file should end in .lbxlls - if it does it should also work in L4.

Unless their function has been changed due to new addins most/all .lbxlls files should work fine in L4.

It does not matter if they came from other publishers like Nelson etc, "Life Collection" whatever etc

Some have been updated to L4 and their file terminology will be different (starts with "LLS:" etc

Regards

Steve

Regards, SteveF

Posts 98
Christopher Powell | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 16 2009 5:40 PM

Thanks everyone - and especially Phillip - my question is answered.

Blessings,

Chris.

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 16 2009 5:41 PM

ChristopherPowell:
Thanks everyone - and especially Phillip - my question is answered.

your welcome.

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS