Free Download: Dictionary of Latin Forms

Page 1 of 3 (50 items) 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 49 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 138
LogosEmployee
Clifford Kvidahl | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Mar 1 2012 2:20 PM

I just wanted to give you all the heads up. We have made available for free an awesome Latin Dictionary. We have been working on this for awhile, and we are excited to give this to you for free.

So, go check it out and tell us what you think.

Cliff

Posts 10324
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 1 2012 2:28 PM

Clifford ... can we assume this is L4 only? The Libronix download delivers an empty file.

Posts 9102
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 1 2012 2:32 PM

Thank you. My Latin dates back to the times of the Caesars so I need significant help.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 18766
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 1 2012 2:37 PM

Cool. Thank you, Clifford!

Posts 138
LogosEmployee
Clifford Kvidahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 1 2012 2:38 PM

DMB:

Clifford ... can we assume this is L4 only? The Libronix download delivers an empty file.

DMB,

Unfortunately we will only have a L4 version of this resource. Sorry about that.

Cliff

Posts 10324
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 1 2012 2:52 PM

Thanks for the quick reply Clifford ... and it's March 1 so that makes sense.

Posts 645
Dean J | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 1 2012 3:02 PM

Clifford Kvidahl:

I just wanted to give you all the heads up. We have made available for free an awesome Latin Dictionary. We have been working on this for awhile, and we are excited to give this to you for free.

So, go check it out and tell us what you think.

Cliff

I use Whitaker's words, so I'm very happy to see this in Logos. I don't know if it's intended this way, or if it's a glitch, but when you click on a conjugated or declined form, it goes to the lemma - you have to type the particular form in the window at the top to get the possible parsings for it. But this is minor compared to having it in Logos - a big thank you!

Edit - if you right click, it'll go right to the morph form.

Posts 645
Dean J | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 1 2012 3:05 PM

Free books for March in Logos and Vyrso, amazing deals on Community Pricing, and now this! You've made my day Logos!

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 1 2012 3:09 PM

Clifford Kvidahl:

Thanks Big Smile Wonder about adding to Perseus search => http://www.logos.com/products/search?Product+Type=Perseus

Appears Latin Dictionary includes analytical parsing. Geeked

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 138
LogosEmployee
Clifford Kvidahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 1 2012 3:18 PM

Dean053:

Free books for March in Logos and Vyrso, amazing deals on Community Pricing, and now this! You've made my day Logos!

That is what we aim to do here at Logos. We are glad your day was made, and we are glad that our users enjoy the Dictionary.

Cliff

Posts 1649
Room4more | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 1 2012 3:34 PM

Clifford Kvidahl:

Dean053:

That is what we aim to do here at Logos. We are glad your day was made, and we are glad that our users enjoy the Dictionary.

Cliff

Well done!! Kudos and Almonds all around!!!! 

When is the expected release of the Latin Bibles in Interlinear form? Since now we have a latin ‘Lexicon’…..? [I took note of your post there KS4J---]

DISCLAIMER: What you do on YOUR computer is your doing.

Posts 18766
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 1 2012 3:38 PM

Robert Booth:
When is the expected release of the Latin Bibles in Interlinear form?

Yes, that would be awesome.

I do hope to learn some Latin someday, and this would help. Though George would tell me having a Latin Interlinear Bible would be the worst thing to do if I want to learn some Latin. I beg to disagree. I think it's a great little step ladder. Never the place to stay, of course.

Posts 1649
Room4more | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 1 2012 3:53 PM

Hey Clifford, got an indexing issue with the download. It has been sitting at 0% for at least 10 minutes - need to check whatever....anyone else getting this?

Posts 3669
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 1 2012 3:53 PM

Clifford Kvidahl:
We have made available for free an awesome Latin Dictionary.

THANK YOU!

Grace & Peace,
Bill

Asus GF63 8RD, I-7 8850H, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 2TB HDD, NVIDIA GTX 1050Max
Samsung S9+, 64GB
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Posts 489
LogosEmployee
Louis St. Hilaire | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 1 2012 3:58 PM

Dean053:

I use Whitaker's words, so I'm very happy to see this in Logos. I don't know if it's intended this way, or if it's a glitch, but when you click on a conjugated or declined form, it goes to the lemma - you have to type the particular form in the window at the top to get the possible parsings for it. But this is minor compared to having it in Logos - a big thank you!

Edit - if you right click, it'll go right to the morph form.

I'm guessing this is from the Perseus Latin texts? The Perseus texts are lemma tagged, so Logos prefers the lemma to the conjugated/declined form on a double-click. In a sense, the auto-lemma tagging we applied to the Perseus texts is redundant with (part of) the function of a WORDS lookup that this dictionary is based on.

As others have noted, the great thing about this dictionary is that you can use it not just to look up lemmas, but to instantly get possible parsing for hundreds of thousands of conjugated or declined forms. This adds incredible value to the Vulgate and the growing number of other Latin texts in Logos.

I also can't resist putting in another plug for Lewis & Short's Latin Dictionary. This tool provides a handy lookup for any form, but once you've used it to find the lemma, it would be great to be able to jump to more in-depth information from there. Lewis & Short would provide that (if we can get enough orders).

Posts 6489
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 1 2012 4:03 PM

Robert Booth:

Hey Clifford, got an indexing issue with the download. It has been sitting at 0% for at least 10 minutes - need to check whatever....anyone else getting this?

Having the same problem Robert. Sitting at 0% for over half an hour.

Everything ever written in Religion and Theology formatted for Logos Bible Software.Logos Youtube Channel

Posts 1649
Room4more | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 1 2012 4:05 PM

Ok, thanks.

The file is called glossworddict.logos4, but I could not cut the file from the resources to get it to re-download anew…..since it is stuck in index mode…..thats the newest addition to the resource folder...

Posts 9102
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 1 2012 4:31 PM

Mine seems to have indexed just fine. If you have a Logos4Indexer.log file you could upload it so we can take a look.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 1649
Room4more | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 1 2012 4:32 PM

Wheres the index file, i can delete that....hopefully.

Posts 6489
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 1 2012 4:35 PM

8306.Logos4Error.log

It is stil indexing. This is the latest file that I could find. Using the latest beta.

Everything ever written in Religion and Theology formatted for Logos Bible Software.Logos Youtube Channel

Page 1 of 3 (50 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS