True variety of resources?

Page 2 of 3 (43 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 42 Replies | 5 Followers

Posts 5301
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 2 2012 10:32 PM

I was raised in the ELCiC although now call the Anglican Church of Canada home now...

I must recommend looking at 

http://www.logos.com/product/8803/new-interpreters-bible

There are more than a few lutheran authors contributing to it (personal note I am trying to get people interested in this series since i really want it in Logos, but it is a very fine series…numerous links to examples are available here http://community.logos.com/forums/t/45235.aspx?PageIndex=1 )

http://www.logos.com/product/6284/fortress-press-luther-studies-collection

Is something i have on preorder looking very interesting to me.

http://www.logos.com/product/8047/hermeneia-and-continental-commentaries 

Is a a very fine series some of the vogues are just great gems, but it is a bit technical for my liking.

http://www.logos.com/product/5608/christian-theology-set

is a wonderful 2 volume set.

http://www.logos.com/product/4292/augsburg-commentary-on-the-new-testament

This series is a great little commentary on the new testament, lenski is available too but when i looked at it I could not see how it was going to be of much value to me.

http://www.logos.com/product/7988/preaching-liberation

Should be of interest to you too..

http://www.logos.com/product/15719/preaching-from-the-lectionary-an-exegetical-commentary

is very brief but insightful and might give you some good jumping off points.

http://www.logos.com/product/6751/interpretation-a-bible-commentary-for-teaching-and-preaching

While I do not like this series as well as the New Interpreter's Bible it is a very fine series.

http://www.logos.com/product/9330/the-peoples-bible-complete-set

And while i know it is far more conservative usually than I would like, I do value this set by Northwestern and have found some absolute gems of truth in many volumes. 

Here are a couple examples...

We become little stones, and it is Christ’s goal to mortar us together into a grand building called the holy Christian church. Isn’t it interesting that we are called stones rather than bricks? Bricks are all alike; stones are all different—in color, texture, size, and shape. But there is a place for us all in God’s building. All the different believers are joined together in a dazzling and beautiful mosaic for [God’s] glory. --M. A.  Jeske, James, Peter, John, Jude. People's Bible

Abstain from sinful desires and live good lives.…Twenty-first century Christians, especially those in developed countries like America, need these words even more. It is easy to get comfortable here and to spend our time and resources trying to get even more comfortable. Having many things is a worse problem than having few. --M. A.  Jeske, James, Peter, John, Jude. People's Bible

Blessings to you and I hope you found a resource or two of interest in this list.

-Dan

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 2 2012 11:56 PM

Dan Francis:

Noticed set is included in a bundle => The Northwestern Publishing House Electronic Library: Collection One (albeit 100 volume bundle is more expensive)

Searching my Logos library for: women WITHIN 24 WORDS empower found many results:

Looking at Logos comparison => http://www.logos.com/comparison noticed "Semeia: An Experimental Journal for Biblical Criticism (91 vols.)" is included in Scholar's Gold and higher.  By the way, Scholar's Gold also has my favorite commentary series => UBS New Testament Handbook Series and => UBS Old Testament Handbook Series

Dan Francis:

Noticed resource is included => Master Library Builder

Combing Scholar's Gold and Master Library Builder results in an extensive digital library with a variety of views.  Note: depends on resource usability whether to consider upgrade to Scholar's Platinum or Portfolio.  The Master Library Builder includes many resources in Platinum and Portfolio (along with two partial collections included in Scholar's Gold for 24 volumes) so estimating Scholar's Gold plus Master Library Builder to be ~ 2,900 volumes (about $ 1.33 per volume at regular price).  In contrast, Porfolio regular price per volume is $ 2.68 (plus regular price is $ 410 more than Scholar's Gold plus Master Library Builder).

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 18899
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 3 2012 1:59 AM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):

It is also included in a much smaller collection, Fortress Press Homiletics Collection. At this point, until Logos comes up with a more broad church library builder bundle, I'd recommend against the Master Library Builder or higher base packages. For someone not coming from a conservative evangelical position, even though the savings are substantial with the larger bundles, I'm guessing you'd be so frustrated with much of the content in them that it wouldn't serve you well to spend your money there. However, you could take the time to make yourself a spreadsheet listing all the titles in the MLB and decide whether you'd want them or not. That would be very time consuming, but could be worth it for you if you end up getting it.

Note: You can always hide books that you're not interested in. See http://wiki.logos.com/Hiding_Books

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 3 2012 2:20 AM

KatieBLutheran:
As to what kind of resources I'm looking for- well, when it comes to Liberation Theology, I've read Guitierrez, but I'd love some further exploration of what that movement has done elsewhere on the globe.  I've attended an emergent church service in Minneapolis, and it wasn't really my thing, but I would be interested in finding out more about the movement, particularly the motivations behind it.  My favorite books are the ones written by pastors "on the ground" about their experiences, with theological reflections arising from them.

These type of resources are few and far between in Logos but they are virtually non-existent in other Bible software. I will hazard a guess here that the bottom line is the demographics that Logos has developed on the customer base says the established buyers of resources are not keen on the minority writings. Most users tend to buy what they already agree with. (I actually buy mostly from perspectives I do not agree with so that I can learn the what & the why of others' doctrinal views.) The demographics could be flawed because the liberal-inclined customers can not buy what is not offered. With the recent release of many Catholic resources in Logos we may see a continuing broadening of offerings. I personally have purchased many Fortress Press titles and found quite a bit of the content you seem to be looking for. Unfortunately most are thrown in with unrelated subjects in a bundle that gets very expensive after it leaves Pre-Pub.   

As Logos continues to break up collections and bundles it may someday be possible to gather together many individual titles of particular personal interest and get some kind of HUGE discount for a "pick-your-own" Eclectic Bundle.  Give me some more books by Korean writers, something from Desmond Tutu, and some Liberation Theologians. It is often easy to dismiss them out of hand when their Christianity is not our Americanized Christianity. I also want to give them a fighting chance to explain why their theology didn't work so well for their stated goals. Or maybe it did. I won't know until we have their voices in Logos too. Wink

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 386
MJD | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 3 2012 7:58 AM

Super Tramp:
These type of resources are few and far between in Logos but they are virtually non-existent in other Bible software.

Logos is a Bible Study Software company and it's mission is to help study the Bible.  Therefore, when resources are limited (in a mature Bible Software Company) one must weigh out why are they limited?  I think the answer is CLEAR!

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 3 2012 8:46 AM

MJD:
Logos is a Bible Study Software company and it's mission is to help study the Bible.  Therefore, when resources are limited (in a mature Bible Software Company) one must weigh out why are they limited?  I think the answer is CLEAR!

First thing first, Logos has stated time and time again that they are a for profit company.  Like all for profit companies, the mission of the company is to make a profit.  There is nothing wrong with this at all, it just needs to be stated before any theological understanding can be placed on what any company offers.

I believe with you that the answer is very clear about the sources that Logos provides.  It is very likely that we disagree on the answer.  Not to sound brash, but the answer is money.

Logos has a consumer base that has a particular theological understanding.  Now, when Logos offers a new product, it goes through the pre-pub process.  If there are not enough customers, the product does not get produced.  Therefore, any book that is written by an author that has a different theological understanding than the customer base will have a difficult time getting into production.

Posts 5301
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 3 2012 10:45 AM

tom collinge:
Logos has a consumer base that has a particular theological understanding.  Now, when Logos offers a new product, it goes through the pre-pub process.  If there are not enough customers, the product does not get produced.  Therefore, any book that is written by an author that has a different theological understanding than the customer base will have a difficult time getting into production.

This is the major problem. It is also a major problem for Logos. If they wish to grow their customer base. It's frustrating that one of the most popular commentaries in the "mainline churches" the New Interpreter's Bible, it has yet to make it to production level. And while i have talked to several people who would love to see NIB in a good software to use on their iPhone or iPad but usually I hear that until it's shipping they are not interested in signing up for something that they have no idea when they would have it. 

-dan

Posts 18899
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 3 2012 1:38 PM

MJD:

Super Tramp:
These type of resources are few and far between in Logos but they are virtually non-existent in other Bible software.

Look at all the books Logos sells on Vyrso.com and ask yourself whether any of them is designed to help people study the Bible better. There are plenty on the main Logos.com site that aren't exactly Bible study books either. They are open to publishing other works, it's just a question of gauging customer interest and prioritizing what they think will sell better.

Posts 386
MJD | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 3 2012 2:09 PM

Rosie Perera:

MJD:

Super Tramp:

Look at all the books Logos sells on Vyrso.com and ask yourself whether any of them is designed to help people study the Bible better. There are plenty on the main Logos.com site that aren't exactly Bible study books either. They are open to publishing other works, it's just a question of gauging customer interest and prioritizing what they think will sell better.

Who brought up Vyrso.com?  I am speaking about Logos.  How do you dispute what Bob Pritchett said himself?

Per Bob Pritchett in an interview with "Bible Software Review"

BP: We are focused on supporting and encouraging "serious Bible study." We want to build tools that help everyone go deeper into the Word...Going deeper in your study is something we want to make as easy as possible.

Posts 80
Pastor Kay | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 3 2012 2:15 PM

Okay!  Thank you to everybody who provided links and advice, it looks like I have a lot of good stuff to sort through.  I really appreciate the help, it looks like a lot of this is exactly the kind of thing I was looking for.  (I love wish lists, they're such happy things.)

I'm going to unsubscribe from the thread now- I believe it's served its purpose well, and personally I don't have a lot invested in the current set of side conversations.  Thanks again, this has been a very helpful introduction to the forums and Logos for me.

ETA: I appreciate everyone's comments about seminarian discounts with a certain winsomeness- alas, for I have already graduated! And was consistently broke throughout, for a variety of reasons.  Oh well.

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 3 2012 2:42 PM

KatieBLutheran:
Any tips on better search words to find what I'm looking for?

The only tip I can think of is to use the left column to your advantage. You can, for example, see all resources tagged as Lutheran. But I presume you had already figured that out.

KatieBLutheran:
Logos itself doesn't seem to have a theological stance itself, or at least I haven't found one on their website

Mission statement.

Publishing Philosophy. (Updated just a week ago, it seems.)

Short version: "Logos Bible Software is a member of the Evangelical Christian Publishers Association, and we subscribe to the Statement of Faith of the Association (http://www.ecpa.org/?page=about_ecpa)."

KatieBLutheran:
I find it, frankly, odd, that such a major company ... chooses not to have an equal balance of resources

1,5 years ago it was a lot worse, believe me.

Rosie Perera:
you could take the time to make yourself a spreadsheet listing all the titles in the MLB and decide whether you'd want them or not. That would be very time consuming, but could be worth it for you if you end up getting it.

No need to do something that's already been done. I'm too tired now to look for the right thread, but the spreadsheet is here somewhere.

EDIT: Guess I wasted my time posting that...Tongue Tied

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 352
Mike & Rachel Aubrey | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 3 2012 2:59 PM

Discovering Biblical Equality is truly unmatched as an egalitarian handbook: http://www.logos.com/product/2960/discovering-biblical-equality

I buy copies for friends regularly.

Posts 1513
Josh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 3 2012 4:01 PM

Simple math: m ≠ w Stick out tongue

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 3 2012 6:24 PM

fgh:

Rosie Perera:
you could take the time to make yourself a spreadsheet listing all the titles in the MLB and decide whether you'd want them or not. That would be very time consuming, but could be worth it for you if you end up getting it.

No need to do something that's already been done. I'm too tired now to look for the right thread, but the spreadsheet is here somewhere.

EDIT: Guess I wasted my time posting that...Tongue Tied

Internet search for:

site:community.logos.com christmas master 2010

has link to => Christmas 2010 Master Collection (2,010 vols.) A GREAT Bargain! that includes a spreadsheet done by Praiser in 2010.  Personally downloaded, then added a column: placed number 1 in each row for resources already in my Logos library (Scholar's Platinum plus additional purchases), estimated MLB would add a ~ 1,525 titles. so choose a Logos payment plan for purchase.  MLB additions has a wealth of Biblical topics that interest me, including original language resources, Jewish history, plus more.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 3 2012 7:18 PM

Joshua,

Just to let you know that I did take offence to your statement.  While men are women are not the same, we are equals.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 3 2012 8:38 PM

In December 2010, a thread was started => Why less women? (now has 282 items) after a Logos facebook post:

Logos Bible Software Give us your input! Studies show that women are more likely to read, but only account for about 7% of Logos users. What are we missing?

As a customer, am seeing Logos, the company, striving to broaden product mix for wider appeal and usage for many.  Looking forward to more resources being offered on Logos.com and Vyrso.com plus awesome Bible Study capabilities on a variety of platforms, including sharing stuff with groups.

Note: humanly am glad to not have all the various authors in my Logos library in my living room at the same time (suspect peace on earth is currently not possible).  Thankful for an incredible amount of resources that are available to study, ponder, and prayer.  Thankful for many friendly forum discussions about using Logos Bible Software and resource information.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 5301
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 3 2012 9:05 PM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):
Note: humanly am glad to not have all the various authors in my Logos library in my living room at the same time (suspect peace on earth is currently not possible).  Thankful for an incredible amount of resources that are available to study, ponder, and prayer.  Thankful for many friendly forum discussions about using Logos Bible Software and resource information.

Me too Smiling… I am not as theologically conservative as most of what i find on Logos, but I do find inspiration even when i vigorously disagree with what I have just read. Thank God the Spirit can move in wonderful ways.

-Dan

Posts 386
MJD | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 4 2012 3:36 AM

tom collinge:

Joshua,

Just to let you know that I did take offence to your statement.  While men are women are not the same, we are equals.

You said it yourself, man and woman are not the same.  God created us to be different for his purpose.  Joshua's comment is accurate.

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 4 2012 7:21 AM

Please. Let's stop this uh-uh / uh-huh arguing. My denomination battled over this issue for over 30 years and still didn't resolve it. It won't get resolved in this forum.

If you must debate this, take it elsewhere.

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 1513
Josh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 4 2012 12:04 PM

tom collinge:

Joshua,

Equal in worth, yes. Equal in role, no.

"Fully equal before God, women and men enjoy the same free grace, are called to the same obedience, and are capable of receiving the same spiritual gifts and blessings. Yet woman is not man, and man is not woman. They are equal in worth and personhood as the creation of God but remain functionally different in the role assignments each is to fulfill."

From: Woman's Study Bible (Nashville: Thomas Nelson, 1997).

Katie was look for Logos resources that focused on "empowering women in the church" - the one I quoted from is one.

Page 2 of 3 (43 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS