Can we make clippings more academic research friendly?

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 65
Jeffery Ferrell | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Mar 4 2012 3:40 PM

Let me first say that clippings in its present state is a phenomenal research tool! I am particularly appreciative that I can format using Turabian. That feature alone saves me a load of hair pulling. I would love to be able to export my clippings to print out like note cards where each clipping would be on its own sheet.

Posts 9396
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 4 2012 4:08 PM

Jeffery,

This is a good idea, but I don't know whether Logos will feel the need to do a special print format.

I just tried exporting to MS Word and formatting clippings to fit on 4x6 index cards. I had to spend a few minutes resizing things, eliminating the footer that Logos adds to each clipping, inserting page breaks and page numbers, but its pretty workable. Here's a sample:

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 19040
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 4 2012 5:37 PM

Jeffery Ferrell:
I would love to be able to export my clippings to print out like note cards where each clipping would be on its own sheet.

Jeffery, I'm afraid printed note cards is what academic research looked like up to about the 1980s. Those were beginning to fade away by then, and now are virtually unheard of, even by people who compose all their notes on the computer. Why print stuff out anymore? There are still a few poor souls trying to hang onto the use of paper (see this desperate website by a $5B company trying to prove it isn't a dinosaur). But I don't see Logos going in the direction of more support for the print-based world in the future. In fact, their printing feature (which does turn out to be pretty good) was almost an afterthought. It wasn't included at all in the initial releases of Logos 4.0.

I concur with Mark's response. But actually, if you don't care about the size of the paper (you probably don't have 4x6 notecard stock ready to load into your printer) and merely want one one clipping per sheet, it's pretty easy in Word to insert a page break between clippings. Just move your cursor to the beginning of each clipping and hit Ctrl+Enter.

If you've got hundreds of them in one Word document and want to save some time, I've created a little Macro, which you can assign to a keyboard shortcut, that will do the Ctrl+Enter for you and find the beginning of the next clipping. Just hit your keyboard shortcut over and over until the macro doesn't find any more occurrences.

To make this a functioning Macro in Word and assign it to a keystroke combo:

1. First in Word you'll need to enable the Developer tab if you haven't already (go into Word Options > Popular > and check the box marked "Show Developer tab in the Ribbon").
  2. Select and copy all the text of the macro below (except not including the Sub and End Sub lines, as those will be created for us in Word)
  3. Go back to Word and click on the Developer tab
  4. Click Record Macro
  5. For the name, type whatever you like (e.g., SplitLogosClippings, as I've called it below)
  6. Click Keyboard.
  7. Press a shortcut key that isn't assigned to anything yet (for example, a lot of the Ctrl, Alt, Shift, Ctrl+Shift, and other combinations with function keys are unassigned). To see if a key combo is assigned to something already, just type it, and Word will tell you what it's "Currently assigned to:"; backspace over it and try again with something else if it's already assigned, until you see [unassigned].
  8. Now click Assign, then Close.
  9. Immediately click Stop Recording.  (the point isn't to record a macro but just to create space for one and a key assignment.
  10. Then click Visual Basic (leftmost icon on the Developer tab on the ribbon).
  11. Select all the text from the Sub line to the End Sub on the new empty macro that just got created
  12. Paste in the text of this macro below.
  13. Now choose File > Close and Return to Microsoft Word.
  14. You're now ready to use your macro. Position the cursor at the beginning of the Clippings document (Actually you could put it at the beginning of the second clipping to avoid having an unnecessary page break inserted at the beginning, but the macro can find that for you if you want to let it, then you can delete the extra page break afterwards.)
  15. Press your keyboard shortcut and continue doing that again and again until you've gone through the whole document.

Sub SplitLogosClippings()

Selection.InsertBreak Type:=wdPageBreak

Selection.Find.ClearFormatting

Selection.Find.Font.Bold = True

With Selection.Find

.Text = "Clipped:"

.Forward = True

.Wrap = wdFindContinue

.Format = True

.MatchCase = True

.MatchWholeWord = False

.MatchWildcards = False

.MatchSoundsLike = False

.MatchAllWordForms = False

End With

Selection.Find.Execute

Selection.MoveLeft Unit:=wdCharacter, Count:=1

Selection.MoveDown Unit:=wdLine, Count:=2

End Sub

Posts 65
Jeffery Ferrell | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 5 2012 9:32 AM

Thanks for that Mark, can you email me the process by which you did this? I am not a MS Word expert I'm trying to learn it. Thanks again for your reply!

Posts 65
Jeffery Ferrell | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 5 2012 9:33 AM

Thanks Rosie for the reply as well as the details of how to recreate it! I'm going to try it now!

Posts 9396
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 5 2012 10:38 AM

Jeffrey:

In the Print/Export pane for Clippings select Send to New Document> Microsoft Word.

In MS Word Hit CTRL-A to highlight all text. Then in the Home tab under fonts reduce all text using the down arrow button. I hit the button twice.

Manually go through the document inserting a CTRL-Enter at the beginning of every clipping past the first one. This puts the beginning of each clipping on a new page.

Next delete any remaining horizontal lines to reduce space in the document.

Change the page size to the index card size you want. Go to the Page Layout Tab and select Size under Page Setup. This will put each page on one or more cards.

Change the Orientation setting to Landscape.

Go to the Insert tab and select Footer. Select Remove Footer at the bottom of the menu.

Select Page Number and choose Top of Page>Plain Number 3 (or whatever setting you prefer). Then hit the red X button to close Header and Footer.

Return to the Page Layout tab and select Margins. Choose Narrow.

Save your work because at this point you should be finished.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS