Logos-5---?

Page 2 of 3 (45 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 44 Replies | 7 Followers

Posts 29725
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 27 2012 4:50 PM

I hold to the (false) theory that in software 4.9.,,,, is followed by 5.0 - that gives the developers 10 significant shots at getting it right.Wink

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 6665
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 27 2012 4:52 PM

MJ. Smith:

I hold to the (false) theory that in software 4.9.,,,, is followed by 5.0 - that gives the developers 10 significant shots at getting it right.Wink

Us poor souls have to wait that long for L5? Crying

Lynden Williams Communications https://www.lyndenwilliams.net 

Posts 3879
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 27 2012 5:14 PM

Room4more:
wouldn't that be like having a VolksWagen and putting an RR emblem on it and calling it a Porche?

I am kind of hoping 5.0 will be like a Mustang.

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 6665
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 27 2012 5:24 PM

Dan DeVilder:

Room4more:
wouldn't that be like having a VolksWagen and putting an RR emblem on it and calling it a Porche?

Seeing the high cost of gasoline, would'nt that be expensive to operate, what about its carbon footprint?

Lynden Williams Communications https://www.lyndenwilliams.net 

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 27 2012 5:35 PM

Lynden Williams:

MJ. Smith:

Looking at Logos 4 stable release notes => http://wiki.logos.com/Logos_4_Release_Notes noticed 15 "gold" 4.## releases, which is about 5 "gold" releases per year.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 3879
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 27 2012 5:41 PM

Lynden Williams:

Dan DeVilder:

Room4more:

Seeing the high cost of gasoline, would'nt that be expensive to operate, what about its carbon footprint?

tsk tsk, details . . . 

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 571
Martin Grainger Dean | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 28 2012 4:15 AM
Lynden Williams:
Well I guess will not wait too long seeing L5 was leaked in the forums some time ago. Windows 8 is out and won't be too long (days or weeks?) until L5 will be officially out in the wild. Just guessing. Martin.
Posts 25876
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 28 2012 4:20 AM

Room4more:
I don't want three, what would be the purpose of that?

If you have Win XP  --->   L3 + L4

If you also have Windows 7/8  -->  L5

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 93
Robert C. Beckman Jr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 28 2012 6:27 AM

I remember very clearly that the upgrade was 89.00 from L3 to L4. I remember because this price ran out at the end of 2009. When you had to pay the full price for your base package. So, the week after Christmas I had to go out and buy a new computer (Old one would not run Logos 4) So I could spend $89.00 for an upgrade rather than $459.00. I would expect that I am not the only person who spent $700.00 to upgrade a $459.00 package.

1. It had better work. The quick fix on Mac this weekend was the best such fix in a while, though I nearly had a heart attack on Thursday night. We should not have to live in constant fear of updates. Most free software updates are a nice little perk during the day, something to smile about. Logos has made the process frightening because you just don't know what is gonna blow up.

2. It needs to be real cheap or dare I say....free? Many in the Logos camp have spent the last 3 years feeling like beta-testing guinea pigs. 

3. Real help files in the software. These forums are great and have helped many. The company has outsources too much of the basic training, question-answering and trouble-shooting to the forums. They need to provide better help files, incorporate better videos and just think through the needs of their customer base.

4. The competition. In 2013 all of the "big three" will be on both Windows and Mac. Logos needs to understand that if a certain company's Windows version is crash free that we will be at a major inflection point. The more resources are better argument will not win the day when the choice is between constant crashing and something working flawlessly. Logos 5 needs to be focused on stability and competitive power. Why L and not B or A? Logos 4 was supposed to be "Bible Study Re-imagined". Logos 5 should be Bible Study Re-focused.

5. Many of us buy resources judiciously and sparingly. I spent $100.00 this month on books, real print books. None of which were available electronically. I see many announcements of new resources. I just delete the Emails. I bought Logos because they seemed committed to producing great BIBLE software. Most development costs and processes seem to be allocated to new resources, which supposedly pays the bills. People will stop buying the resources when the software continues to frustrate them, OR Logos will become a platform simply for secondary resources and people will adopt a strategy of multiple programs.Logos could have "owned this market" but they are at great risk right now.

Posts 2637
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 28 2012 6:29 AM

Room4more:

Mike S.:

Room4more:

Do I now have three different locations of resource folders?

Why do you want to have three different versions installed?

I don't want three, what would be the purpose of that?

*******************************EDIT***************

Come to think of it, should L5 install independently it can run w/shared resources, but that still contitutes an Upgrade and not an Update.

L3 still does things that are not in L4 [and may not be in L5, L6, nor any other version before L99999999999999999]

Logos 3/Libronix is still an active forum [maybe only once every few days but it is active thus there are still users of L3 some that NEVER moved to L4]

Posts 11217
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 28 2012 8:51 AM

I'm still waiting for a 'must have' resource that's L4 (or L5) only. Heb-Discourse might have come close before they delayed it until the Second Coming. If the team got reassigned in 2012, it'll likely be reassigned repeatedly.

But for all practical purposes Libronix is fast, lets you manage your notations and licenses and easily installs in literally minutes. I'm still buying resources from Dana's breakups for Libronix and updating L4 'whenever'.  Logos4 has a few nice features, but if for some reason it 'won't start' I'll likely just uninstall it.  I think I have maybe 12 resources I'd dump.

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 2779
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 30 2012 1:12 PM

If L5 does show up soon, I hope it does one thing better than L4 - notes!! Better as in performance. If that's all we get, then good.

Posts 2171
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 30 2012 2:31 PM

DMB:
Heb-Discourse might have come close before they delayed it until the Second Coming.

These resources have already started to be delivered. I am loving the use of mine! Steve's team is responsive to our suggestions and working hard to complete the rest of the Hebrew Scriptures.

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 30 2012 3:21 PM

Kevin A. Purcell:

If L5 does show up soon, I hope it does one thing better than L4 - notes!! Better as in performance. If that's all we get, then good.

I think notes will be one of the things we will see in L5.

Posts 378
Clint Cozier | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 30 2012 7:59 PM

It seems to me that someone could write a stand alone app that specialized in research and study notes. I jump between all three of the "big" bible packages. I'd really love a piece of software that had hooks into Accordance, Logos and BW and could annotate and note across all three. Strange world where all three of those programs try to wall off their users. If Evernote has a public API....that would take care of the engine and the development would really be around the hooks into the three programs. 

Posts 30
williamvarner | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 31 2012 5:47 PM
Jack, within a year? Boy will you be surprised! Hang on!
Posts 8647
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 31 2012 8:13 PM

Hmmm. Dan Pritchett is tweeting...

https://twitter.com/DanPritchett/status/263769754668519424

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 1 2012 2:13 AM

I do expect to see L5 this year.

Posts 3103
Tes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 1 2012 7:27 AM

TCBlack:

Hi TCBlack, was it deleted by you or by Logos , the link you showed about the release of Logos 5?

Blessings in Christ.

Posts 1586
John Kight | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 1 2012 7:31 AM

For book reviews and more visit sojotheo.com 

Page 2 of 3 (45 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS