Update Now vs. Update Resources

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 681
Harry Hahne | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Nov 12 2009 8:33 PM

Does Update Now only update the software or does it also check for updated resources?In other words, if automatic updates is off, should one run both commands periodically?

If you have automatic update on, does it automatically check for both software and resource updates or is it still important to run Update Resources periodically?

It would be nice to have a defaults option to only check periodically if there are updates, similar to Microsoft update. This would let you know if the update was available, but download it at a time when you can afford the system slowdown and Internet bandwidth.

Posts 715
Chris Elford | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 12 2009 8:50 PM

Harry Hahne:

Does Update Now only update the software or does it also check for updated resources?In other words, if automatic updates is off, should one run both commands periodically?

If you have automatic update on, does it automatically check for both software and resource updates or is it still important to run Update Resources periodically?

Seems to be software with Update Now and resources with Resources Now. I did the UN first and it did nothing, but RN got me 258 MB of resources.

I believe auto (if you can wait that long) does both, but I keep checking so I'm not sure. I'm an update addict.

Chris

Posts 16437
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 12 2009 9:11 PM

Harry, Update Resources is not intended as a regular check.

Update Now will invoke a pending update of resources or software if you have not received it via Auto download for some reason. Usually software is released on a 24 hour cycle spread across all users (perhaps even resource updates but I can't confirm that). If you can't wait for your slot then use Update Now.

If you set Autodownload Updates to NO, you still get a notification about software and resource updates. This is roughly equivalent to the MS option. But if you want them now then use Update Now!

EDIT:  Update Resources is a last ditch way to get resources you believe to be missing! It checks what you have against your licence and can be quite lengthy.    Update Now is an instant fix for download addicts.Smile

Dave
===

Windows PC, Android phone

Posts 715
Chris Elford | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 12 2009 9:24 PM

Dave Hooton:

Update Now is an instant fix for download addicts.Smile

I resemble that remark!

Posts 1208
LogosEmployee
Bob Pritchett | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 12 2009 9:52 PM

Bradley can address this better, but I'm pretty sure there's no batching of users for downloads; everyone can see them at the same time. It's just that the system checks once a day, and so Update Now lets you force a check "right now" if you started the product earlier in the day and the update was made available after your once-a-day check.

Posts 4126
LogosEmployee
Bradley Grainger (Logos) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 13 2009 12:12 AM

Harry Hahne:

By default, the system checks for updated software once a day, and updated resources at startup. "update now" forces these checks to happen again, without having to restart the software.

The "Automatically download updates" setting doesn't affect these checks. Whether it's done automatically or manually, the same updates will be detected. "Automatically download" just determines whether the download starts right away, or waits until you click a button.

Finally, "update resources" is used to work around bugs in the software. Right now, we know of one bug that prevents resources from being downloaded if (in certain circumstances) a previous download failed. Ideally, this command would not be necessary, but it can be used to force a full resource check (which can take a very long time) to ensure everything is up to date. Once we get all the bugs worked out of the system, "update resources" will simply be a very CPU-intensive way to confirm what the system already knows: that everything is up to date.

Posts 4126
LogosEmployee
Bradley Grainger (Logos) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 13 2009 12:13 AM

Harry Hahne:

It would be nice to have a defaults option to only check periodically if there are updates, similar to Microsoft update. This would let you know if the update was available, but download it at a time when you can afford the system slowdown and Internet bandwidth.

To achieve this, set "Automatically download updates" to "No". Logos 4 will regularly check for updates, but won't download them automatically; instead, it will prompt you, and you can wait until it's convenient to download them. (The command to download them now can be found in the Program Settings panel.)

Posts 16437
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 13 2009 5:49 AM

Bradley Grainger:
By default, the system checks for updated software once a day, and updated resources at startup. "update now" forces these checks to happen again, without having to restart the software.

Thanks, Bradley.  If it comes to memory then you know what happens to the original story after it has been passed from one person to another to another, etc. Just that I was first in line!

Dave
===

Posts 212
James Thompson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 13 2009 7:49 AM

Bradley Grainger:

Finally, "update resources" is used to work around bugs in the software. Right now, we know of one bug that prevents resources from being downloaded if (in certain circumstances) a previous download failed. Ideally, this command would not be necessary, but it can be used to force a full resource check (which can take a very long time) to ensure everything is up to date. Once we get all the bugs worked out of the system, "update resources" will simply be a very CPU-intensive way to confirm what the system already knows: that everything is up to date.

Bradley,

The "update resources" function only applies to L4 resources, right? We still need to use the scripts for L3, right?

Posts 314
Steven L. Spencer | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 13 2009 1:53 PM

I did an "update resources" check and the "checking for updates" icon is there, but nothing seems to be happening. It is doing a background search? How long should a normal 'resource' update take?

Posts 16437
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 13 2009 2:03 PM

James Thompson:
The "update resources" function only applies to L4 resources, right?

It is used only in L4 for resources that may be in any format. It does not work with/for L3, so use the normal scripts there.

Dave
===

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS