Oneness theology

Page 4 of 5 (82 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
This post has 81 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 803
JRS | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 12 2012 2:57 PM

MJ. Smith:
Let's shrug our shoulders, shake our heads and move on.

How about a yawn?  The essence of this thread gets posted at least once a month.  Different topics.  Different participants.  Same sort of arguing.  Same sort of pointless rants.  Same sort of self-righteous indignation (often, selective). 

How blessed is the one whom Thou dost choose, and bring near to Thee(Psa 65:4a)

Posts 10739
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 12 2012 3:02 PM

Room4more:

all the various denominatgions agree on is that to be Christian you have to be orthodox on the trinity, no iffs or buts it has to be accepted. 

Is an assault on other denominational theology's of those who use the Logos program for their study's.

You did not underline the portion of the statement that keeps it within the forum guidelines. It was a statement of fact, not an attack on non-Trinitarians. He could have had his facts wrong, but this statement does not violate the forum guidelines.

Also, please not that these are Forum Guidelines, not Forum Rules. It seems that those who are quick to enforce their personal interpretation of forum guidelines cause more controversy on these forums than many who espouse a theological position. Mention of the guidelines almost always creates a debate, whereas an offensive theological statement is best ignored. If the poster is looking for an argument, silence is the very best weapon to defeat him/her—although most offensive posters seem to be "him" Geeked

Posts 1649
Room4more | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 12 2012 3:13 PM

MJ. Smith - WOW!

Super Tramp - Dbl WOW!

Jack Caviness:

Room4more:

all the various denominatgions agree on is that to be Christian you have to be orthodox on the trinity, no iffs or buts it has to be accepted. 

Is an assault on other denominational theology's of those who use the Logos program for their study's.

You did not underline the portion of the statement that keeps it within the forum guidelines. It was a statement of fact, not an attack on non-Trinitarians. He could have had his facts wrong, but this statement does not violate the forum guidelines.

Also, please not that these are Forum Guidelines, not Forum Rules. It seems that those who are quick to enforce their personal interpretation of forum guidelines cause more controversy on these forums than many who espouse a theological position. Mention of the guidelines almost always creates a debate, whereas an offensive theological statement is best ignored. If the poster is looking for an argument, silence is the very best weapon to defeat him/her—although most offensive posters seem to be "him" Geeked

So then Jack, if I make the factual statement that trinitarianism speaks and teaches against the Scriptures and denies the Truth coming from God through Christ as His representative  - I have not infringed upon any forum "guideline"? would this be an accurate understanding of what you are stating. I just want to be sure that I understand your words and not read into them. Thanks.

[edit - removed statment ]

DISCLAIMER: What you do on YOUR computer is your doing.

Posts 10739
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 12 2012 3:18 PM

Room4more:
So then Jack, if I make the factual statement that trinitarianism speaks and teaches against the Scriptures and denies the Truth coming from God through Christ as His representative  - I have not infringed upon any forum "guideline"? would this be an accurate understanding of what you are stating. I just want to be sure that I understand your words and not read into them. Thanks.

I think I will ignore the bait as I do not intend to engage in debate with you.

Posts 1649
Room4more | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 12 2012 3:22 PM

Jack Caviness:

Room4more:

I think I will ignore the bait as I do not intend to engage in debate with you.

There is no bait - and there is no intention for debate or discussion[see you read into my statement what was not there], It is a straightforward question in direct reply to your post: either I have or have not.......simple-yes?

Posts 10739
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 12 2012 3:31 PM

Room4more:
It is a straightforward question

Not quite that straightforward. You ignore the point of my post in order to draw me in. The point is that in underlining a portion of a sentence, you twisted the original meaning of the statement in order to claim an infringement of forum guidelines. This resulted in the very debate concerning whether or not the statement crossed the line. As I said, more debates are started by those who rush in to invoke forum guidelines than by those who post offensive remarks.

Posts 1649
Room4more | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 12 2012 3:33 PM

Blair Laird:

Room4more:
I am wondering as I hit the post button if anyone has taken the time to read Blairs webpage.....

I am not sure what you mean by this? My post was asking about information on the subject. Many people who use this forum know good places to find material that is, and is not available through logos. Nothing in my posts have leaned towards bashing another theology, nor towards debate. 

Exactly and this I understand, but some apparently did/do not. As for your page. I took it upon myself since there was a link......there is no offense intended, just a thought put into words....I can remove it if you would prefer.

Jack, Nope you are reading into it. Plain and simple. I made a statememnt of fact - If one statement does not infringe upon the "guidelines" then another should not as well.    It either does or does not, agreed?

Posts 1649
Room4more | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 12 2012 3:47 PM

No problem Blair, it was the http. But I removed it all the same - My Apology.. Thanks. [note: bottom of your post has a link correct]

Jack,

See this is what I am talking about. If I make a statement based on my belief, I consider it to be fact. If another posts a statement based on what they believe - they inturn consider it to be fact.

This is the whole basis of the 'guidelines' - to sway people from doing such things because it only brings contention and borderline online in the forum debates[discussion]. They may not be 'rules' per se but they are there, provided people read them and understand them, and most importantly restrain themselves and abide by them

Is this clear?

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 12 2012 3:51 PM

Room4more:
I am wondering as I hit the post button if anyone has taken the time to read Blairs webpage.....
No, but thanks for pointing it out. Big Smile It looks like a more appropriate place for you to carry on your discussion.

Again, I am sorry you were offended. We have many "unorthodox" Logos users that frequently get their feet stepped stomped on by someone in the majority camp of some doctrinal issue. Most of those users have grown thicker skin  In an ideal community everyone would respect each other and leave judgement to God.

Did not John Calvin approve the death penalty for a fellow who rejected Trinitarian doctrine? Did the Crusaders kill with God's blessing? Is everybody proud of the Spanish Inquisition? Did you read my posts on Luther's anti-Semitism? How many TV evangelists have had moral scandals? Christian history is replete with "un-pretty" facts.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 1649
Room4more | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 12 2012 3:54 PM

Super Tramp:

Did not John Calvin approve the death penalty for a fellow who rejected Trinitarian doctrine? Did the Crusaders kill with God's blessing? Is everybody proud of the Spanish Inquisition? Did you read my posts on Luther's anti-Semitism? How many TV evangelists have had moral scandals? Christian history is replete with "un-pretty" facts.

Thanks, I agree. And, I believe that this is why the guidelines are in place.

We as 'christians' should realize this and do our best to abide by them, even when it means we bite our tongue's and tape our fingers.

I have no desire to debate the issue. But some apparently do. Either we practice what we preach or we do not preach at all........leaving our theological bias in the desk drawer and post accordingly. This is all I ask and have been asking - but some just do not get it.....Zip it! Embarrassed

Posts 1649
Room4more | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 12 2012 3:59 PM

Blair Laird:

Room4more:
No problem Blair, it was the http. But I removed it all the same - My Apology.. Thanks. [note: bottom of your post has a link correct]

Sorry I thought you were inferring something to me. I caught it when reading S.t.'s response. 

Sure, no problem, Soory if it caused an inconvenience.

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 12 2012 4:10 PM

Room4more:
We as 'christians' should realize this and do our best to abide by them, even when it means we bite our tongue's and tape our fingers.
  Coffee I agree.

In this whole thread I only saw one occurence of "stepping over the line."  One is more than we want but certainly a lot less than many other's have suffered. You publicly state your "denominational" affiliation and your beliefs are easily assumed so I doubt you are unfamiliar with persecution or harrassment due to your beliefs. Your protest is valid, needed to be said, and is a good reminder for everyone to share the world with others who don't belong to the mainstream. That benefit alone is worth keeping it.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 1649
Room4more | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 12 2012 4:22 PM

Super Tramp:

Room4more:
  Coffee I agree.

In this whole thread I only saw one occurence of "stepping over the line."  One is more than we want but certainly a lot less than many other's have suffered. You publicly state your "denominational" affiliation and your beliefs are easily assumed so I doubt you are unfamiliar with persecution or harrassment due to your beliefs. Your protest is valid, needed to be said, and is a good reminder for everyone to share the world with others who don't belong to the mainstream. That benefit alone is worth keeping it.

Thanks. if others understood, then we would not have had these conversations.

Posts 93
Michael Gaskin | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 12 2012 5:40 PM

James Macleod:

Mike Pettit:

I am not saying that non trinitarians cannot be wonderful people, but if Logos is to have any Christian credibility at all the trinity is where it really has to draw the line at where it will publish in anything but an apologetical or historical sense.  

I couldn’t disagree more. First it is not the place of Logos to determine orthodoxy for me. I don’t need Logos to shelter me from different viewpoints. Logos is doing the right thing. Second, how can I argue against a viewpoint that I disagree with, unless I read what the people themselves believe? I need to understand what they believe and not what others say they believe. I have learned that apologists often misrepresent an opponent’s views in order to score points. “Know thine enemy”.

Logos may be a “Christian” software company but it is also an academic software company. The more resources it contains the better. I am not sure what you are afraid of or what credibility you are speaking of. Logos is a software company, it isn’t the church.

Nailed it.. Thank you............

- Michael

Posts 1479
Blair Laird | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 12 2012 9:23 PM

Rossell Smith:

The author of Oneness theology lays down most emphasis Oneness. His views are much different from ordinery people in a good mannered way. Click on the link below.

testament">http://www.rsawills.com.au/]testament and will

the web add does not seem to be working properly for me

Posts 18886
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 12 2012 10:43 PM

Blair Laird:

Rossell Smith:

The author of Oneness theology lays down most emphasis Oneness. His views are much different from ordinery people in a good mannered way. Click on the link below.

testament">http://www.rsawills.com.au/]testament and will

the web add does not seem to be working properly for me

Looks like typical spam post to me. First time poster posting an irrelevant link having to do with something unrelated to the forum (wills and testaments), who made up some text based on what people were talking about in the thread to make us think he's joining in on the conversation, but it was obviously bland/generic text, not really understanding the subject. I would not try to follow that link if I were you. It's probably a site for some company or software that does wills and testaments.

I've reported it as spam/abuse.

Posts 74
Ralph Hale | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 12 2012 11:15 PM

MJ. Smith:
This translates into accepting that people who consider themselves to be Christians may also deny the Trinity, have an open canon, have closed communion, handle snakes or (heaven forbid) use instruments in worshipSurprise The forums are never the place to exclude anyone regardless of our own beliefs.
Now YOU  have crossed the line. Snake handlers are unique enough, They deserve their own forum.Wink

Page 4 of 5 (82 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS