Help Me Create New Style in Copy Bible Verses

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 11
Ken Bankston | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Mar 12 2012 3:42 PM

I know html and css, so I am not completely in the dark about scripting, but I am not an expert either. I am not even an expert at html or css. Thus, those of you who have played with creating a New Style in Copy Bible Verse might readily understand my confusion. I would like to make several styles, all very similar.The only difference would be whether the verse needed to be double or single space and whether the font size should be 11 or other.

I want to  make:

1. Everything Times New Roman.
  2. The verse address and translation = Bold
  3. The verse itself = italics
  4. The verse numbers = superscript
  5. It would be really nice, though not necessary, if I could give it a global left indent of 1 tab 
  6. Font size =12
  7. double space or single space

Could someone please help me accomplish this?

BTW, I may have double posted, if so I apologize.

Posts 18818
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 12 2012 6:40 PM

Hi Ken,

Here's the wiki documentation for the CBV style syntax: http://wiki.logos.com/Copy_Bible_Verses#Copy_Bible_Verses_Syntax

You'd need to use Word styles to get all the formatting you want. You can put the verse reference and translation in Bold using <b> ... </b> around it. You can do the font typeface and size and double or single space and left indent for the verse using %ForEachVerseStyle. You can make the verse numbers superscript using <sup>...</sup> around them and the verse italics using <i>...</i> around it.

Try this as a basic style and then in Word create two paragraph styles, named LogosHeaderStyle and LogosVerseStyle. You can set the font and font size and indentation and spacing on those as you wish. And you can monkey around with how I've got the verse reference displaying in here (I put in the full passage reference, but there are other options; and I've got the translation in parentheses after that):

%NoCharFormatting

%NoFootnotes

%NoCitation

%ForEachVerseStyle=VerseStyle

=Header

<p><b>[FullPassageRef] ([Version])</b> </p>

=ForEachVerse

<sup>[VerseNum]</sub> <i>[VerseText]</i>

Posts 11
Ken Bankston | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 12 2012 7:04 PM

I have a question... If I "can do the font typeface and size and double or single space and left indent for the verse using %ForEachVerseStyle," why would I need to do anything with Windows styles? It would be much easier to set the font style once in Logos and have it be my "go to" style and opposed to having to use a style in Logos and then restyle it every time in Word.

Can you show me what it would look like to have 12pt, Times, double space, indent using %ForEachVerseStyle? I am sure this would be helpful to others as well. There doesn't seem to be much in the way of examples on line.

Posts 18818
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 13 2012 11:47 AM

Ken Bankston:

I have a question... If I "can do the font typeface and size and double or single space and left indent for the verse using %ForEachVerseStyle," why would I need to do anything with Windows styles? It would be much easier to set the font style once in Logos and have it be my "go to" style and opposed to having to use a style in Logos and then restyle it every time in Word.

Can you show me what it would look like to have 12pt, Times, double space, indent using %ForEachVerseStyle? I am sure this would be helpful to others as well. There doesn't seem to be much in the way of examples on line.

Sorry if I wasn't clear. The Logos CBC style directive %ForEachVerseStyle takes as its parameter the name of a Word style. You must create a Word style with a given name and use that same name on the right side of the equals sign after %ForEachVerseStyle, and then when you copy and paste into Word, the text will get pasted in formatted with that style in Word. There is no way to assign the font formatting directly in Logos without going through a Word style. You don't have to restyle it every time in Word. You set up that style once in your Normal.dotx, and then it's available to you in whatever Word document you want to paste into. Do you know how to do Word styles and have them globally available via the Normal document template?

Posts 11
Ken Bankston | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 13 2012 2:54 PM

Thank you! That makes sense, though I am certain I will bungle it up. Sadly, I have now finished a three day Word project, and have to start on a different week long, non-Word based project that has nothing to do with the Bible or Logos. after that, I am going on vacation. So, I will try to get back to this in a couple of weeks. Again, thank you so much for the support, I wished I had time to put it into action right now, while it is fresh on my mind.

That said, expect another post from me on this issue in two or three weeks after I have bungled it up.

Posts 1
Zachary Janicello | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 26 2013 1:58 PM

Is there any work around for those of using Pages. I have paragraph styles defined, will they read using these same parameters?

Posts 11
Shawn Maze | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 8 2014 9:39 AM

I have tried in Pages and the parameters do not work. In fact, the Copy and Paste button doesnt work with the newest version of Pages either. You have to Copy and then paste manually. :(

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS