missing resources... AGAIN.

Page 2 of 3 (59 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 58 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 8601
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 13 2009 9:55 AM

Larry Schmid:
  I believe it was the license report that would list "unknown resource" with an LLS: number.  It wasn't perfect but it at least indicated a discrepency that we could then attempt to reconcile.  I think some similar tool would be helpful here.
I agree, and I'd love to see this in L4.

The good news is that if you load L4, and L3, sync your licenses in L3 - than in the L3 license report the L4 sources will show up.

It isn't elegant, but it works.

Truth Is Still Truth Even if You Don't Believe It

Check the Wiki

Warning: Sarcasm is my love language. I may inadvertently express my love to you.

Posts 24
Larry Schmid | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 13 2009 9:57 AM

DanPritchett:
....feel free to contact customer service if you are missing a particular resource you have a record of purchasing.

I meant to add that that a license and resource report would facilitate this.  With thousands of resources, the only way that a person might catch that some are missing is if it affects a daily favorite.  Otherwise, it is left to either chance or painstaking inspection.

Thx,

Larry

AKA WillyBurger

Posts 24
Larry Schmid | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 13 2009 10:00 AM

Thomas Black:

The good news is that if you load L4, and L3, sync your licenses in L3 - than in the L3 license report the L4 sources will show up.

Does the L3 license report inspect the L4 resource directory?  If so, that would be a functional workaround.

AKA WillyBurger

Posts 2736
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 13 2009 10:15 AM

Thank you Dan. I think it will help many people since that question is quite frequent. It helped also me to understand how L4 works with the resources. Still I think it would be good to have some way of viewing (printing?) the list of all resources in my L4. Some kind of bibliography with the name of the book, the date and the name of the file. Yea, I know we older ones we are used to having control over our folders and files :-) For me it is not a big deal. But it looks it is for many people here.

Bohuslav

Posts 8601
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 13 2009 10:17 AM

Larry Schmid:

Thomas Black:

Does the L3 license report inspect the L4 resource directory?  If so, that would be a functional workaround.

The L3 license file will sync with your L4 licenses.  you can point L3 to read the resource directory (if memory serves: tools>general>resources) for L4.  Then it will at least recognize the lbxlls files, but NO it will not read the L4  specific files.  Since I don't have L3 on this machine I can't test it, but others have and it works.

Truth Is Still Truth Even if You Don't Believe It

Check the Wiki

Warning: Sarcasm is my love language. I may inadvertently express my love to you.

Posts 556
Brent Hoefling | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 13 2009 10:18 AM

painstaking inspection.  yep, that's what's happening.  okay, well not actually painfull, but it is timeconsuming, and don't even know if it will help.

Posts 687
Jon | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 13 2009 10:20 AM

The folder compare that will give you the most immediate answers would be Laptop -new install -resources to Desktop - upgrade- resources...

Posts 556
Brent Hoefling | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 13 2009 10:20 AM

i wanted to rebuld my desktop with a new OS install (64bit), but now am hesitating because of all this.  hardware is cheep, comparitively speaking.  it's the software/licenses/resources that I am concerned with. and it appears that aside from functionality differences, the resource issue is holding me back, currently.

Posts 517
Bobby Terhune | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 13 2009 10:22 AM

Larry,

It does, but when you point the L3 Resource Path to where your L4 resources are and check it in L3's "Location Manager" it pulls up everything that's lbxlls. It seems that is because the date has been changed somehow and now shows these files as "newer" resources, when in fact they are not newer, at least the majority of them. The net effect is that on a large library it's hard to use Location Manager to find missing files from L4 resource directory.

Posts 2736
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 13 2009 10:26 AM

BrentHoefling:

i wanted to rebuld my desktop with a new OS install (64bit), but now am hesitating because of all this.  hardware is cheep, comparitively speaking.  it's the software/licenses/resources that I am concerned with. and it appears that aside from functionality differences, the resource issue is holding me back, currently.

Still you can do a backup of the Logos 4 folder and than, after you install the fresh OS and Logos 4, just do scan {the path} to the resources in the backup drive. I have my Logos 3 and Logos 4 backup done, it is the first thing I do after getting some new resources. Portable HDD are so huge and cheap these days :-)

Bohuslav

Posts 556
Brent Hoefling | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 13 2009 10:34 AM

i do have a resource and license backup on a 32gb thumb drive.  but was hoping to NOT have to double up on resource files. :(

Posts 556
Brent Hoefling | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 14 2009 11:49 AM

okay, did the winmerges and there was just too much information to be helpfull.  I guess I will just have to be satisfied that one system has 35 less resources than the other with L4. 

And that as with the 1>2 and the 2>3 upgrades, I am losing resources again. If I were more OCD, I would know exactly what's in my library.  but I am not; so I guess it's my own fault for not knowing what's missing to be able to report it, and have someone be able to "fix" it.

With the new syncing happening, I guess I am surprised that the resource counts don't match.

Posts 25049
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 14 2009 12:09 PM

Bohuslav Wojnar:
Still I think it would be good to have some way of viewing (printing?) the list of all resources in my L4. Some kind of bibliography with the name of the book, the date and the name of the file. Yea, I know we older ones we are used to having control over our folders and files :-) For me it is not a big deal. But it looks it is for many people here.

I think we are getting a Biblio report, finally. This all shows that the costs of any activity (user resource management specifically) are not fully revealed by the statistics. How much did a simple Bibliography report save support costs of L3, and how many hours of problem solving, forum traffic, and passing the buck would it have saved in the Launch of L4. Another simple measure would have been to enable logging by default with the released versions. Never mind the potential performance hit because we (beta testers) would recommend switching it off if performance is the only issue!

EDIT: I use and recommend a folder compare (Sync) tool as this will clearly show discrepancies, but you can't beat what people are used to!

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 25049
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 14 2009 1:13 PM

BrentHoefling:
okay, did the winmerges and there was just too much information to be helpfull.

Google for "Beyond Compare". You can install a fully working evaluation version and it allows you to compare files with the same filename and ignore their type. When you set up a comparison it has a Misc tab with "alignment overrides" and you enter *.lbxlls and *.logos4. You should exclude *.lbxoeb file types from the comparison of L3 and L4 as these are Help and PBB files (do this on the Name Filters tab). On the Comparison tab check "Ignore timezone differences" and allow a 59 second tolerance (these are not crucial, but do help).  When you perform the compare just check for Orphans to instantly show missing files.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 204
Steven Yu | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 14 2009 1:19 PM

Just a quick question, how do you determine the number of resource, is there a resouce list or count that we can lookup in logos 4?

"And you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free", John 8:32.
"你們必定認識真理,真理必定使你們自由", 約翰福音 8:3.

Posts 19
Charles Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 14 2009 8:32 PM

I have the same issue. I owned v3 scholars gold before with a lot of extra books collected over the years. I upgraded to platinum and even some of the books in the platinum version are not there. For example if I look in Library for "reverse"...expecting to get any of the many Reverse Interlinears" it comes up empty.  

There were at least six in version 3 gold but none are in version 4 now.

??????

Posts 2212
Damian McGrath | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 14 2009 8:44 PM

Steven Yu:

Just a quick question, how do you determine the number of resource, is there a resouce list or count that we can lookup in logos 4?

Stephen just open your library and it's there...

Posts 25049
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 14 2009 8:46 PM

look in a blank Library Find box for the number of resources.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 25049
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 14 2009 8:51 PM

Charles Williams:
if I look in Library for "reverse"...expecting to get any of the many Reverse Interlinears" it comes up empty.  

The reverse interlinears are disguised by their English bible name eg. ESV, NASB95, NKJV, KJV (new). to determine if it is an interlinear look for Interlinear at the top of the window.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 19
Charles Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 14 2009 8:58 PM

They are not there. None of them come up in the names of the Bibles (ESV, NASB, etc), interlinear, or using the term "reverse." 

Page 2 of 3 (59 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS