Bibliography for research paper

Page 1 of 3 (47 items) 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 46 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 5
Mark Tetzlaff | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Nov 13 2009 7:14 AM

In Logos 3, it was possible to generate a Bibliography for all open resources which could be copied to a research paper.  Has anyone figured out if there is a way to do this in Logos 4.  I haven't yet found a way, and I am very disappointed because I used about 40 works, and it will take a long time for me to insert each one individually. 

Posts 19
Charles Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 13 2009 7:21 AM

Mark, I'm wondering the same thing. This is a very important feature that I hope is just hidden somewhere we haven't found it yet. There is a setting to select which output format but I can't find the way to create the bibliography. I use Zotero for everything like this but you have to be able to get the data out of Logos first.

Posts 620
Jonathan | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 13 2009 7:22 AM

I think it is something coming out in an upcoming release if I remember right. You'd have to check the "What's Missing" page. I can't find a link to it at the moment. I am sure someone will post it for us soon.

Syntax Searching Group | Michigan Logos Users | L5 FAQ | OSX 10.10 | 2.4 GHz i5 | 8 GB Ram

Posts 620
Jonathan | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 13 2009 7:23 AM

http://www.logos.com/4/missingfeatures

Here it is... that feature is scheduled for 2nd Quarter of 2010

Syntax Searching Group | Michigan Logos Users | L5 FAQ | OSX 10.10 | 2.4 GHz i5 | 8 GB Ram

Posts 9
Evan Brammer | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 13 2009 7:30 AM

While this isn't a perfect solution, far from it really, since you continue to have full 3.0 functionality and (from what I've heard) you get the new books that come with 4.0 even in your 3.0 library, you could reopen all those resources in 3.0 and copy the bibliography info from there.  Like I said, not very "friendly".

Actually, now that I think about it.  You could just copy & paste some text from 4.0 to Word or something and the reference should come with it still.  Copy something from each of your sources, reformat the reference and there you go.

Posts 5
Mark Tetzlaff | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 13 2009 7:44 AM

Well, that's the slow way, but fortunately it sound like Logos will have the solution within a year. 

Posts 8601
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 13 2009 7:54 AM

EvanEdwardBrammer:
since you continue to have full 3.0 functionality and (from what I've heard) you get the new books that come with 4.0 even in your 3.0 library,
Slight correction.  You get most of the new books that come with 4 in your 3 library.  Some of the books simply will not work in L3 because they require the capabilities of L4.  And yet still, some books made for L4 are in need of being recompiled for L3. 

Be assured they're working on it. 

Evan, the rest of your tip is a great way to at least get your Biblio.

Truth Is Still Truth Even if You Don't Believe It

Check the Wiki

Warning: Sarcasm is my love language. I may inadvertently express my love to you.

Posts 1690
LogosEmployee
Bob Pritchett | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 16 2009 8:38 PM

How do you want to specify which books to generate a bibliography of? Your entire library? Books you manually add to a bibliography document?

What about just generating a bibliography from a Clippings document? Then you just copy stuff to a clippings doc, then select the bibliography from it whenever you want?

Posts 33
Mike Melloy | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 16 2009 8:42 PM

In L3 I would often create a collection for a paper that I was working on. I would then generate a bibliography for that collection to copy into my paper. Is that possible in L4?

Posts 3809
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 17 2009 2:57 AM

Bob Pritchett:

What about just generating a bibliography from a Clippings document? Then you just copy stuff to a clippings doc, then select the bibliography from it whenever you want?

I like this idea.

Posts 24961
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 17 2009 3:29 AM

Bob Pritchett:
How do you want to specify which books to generate a bibliography of? Your entire library? Books you manually add to a bibliography document?

My preference is from a Collection or entire library.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 604
John Fugh, Jr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 17 2009 4:18 AM

Bob Pritchett:
How do you want to specify which books to generate a bibliography of?

I would like to have the bibliography so that I can export my books to zotero.  See the logos blog for more information:  http://blog.logos.com/archives/2009/02/exporting_your_libronix_library_to_zotero.html

This is quite useful for research papers and bibliographies.  When you do the bibliography for v4, could you please make it export as described in the blog?

Thanks!

John

Posts 8601
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 17 2009 4:28 AM

Bob Pritchett:

Clippings would be good, but I don't work that way any more (with note cards)  that is  essentially what clippings is.   IF that is how Biblio's were generated, then I could change my habits.

I would also like a biblio to be generated from collection files.  That matches my usage in L3.  If I were working on an article, I would add each resource to a collection and then create a Biblio from it.

And please.  Can we set this so that it somehow exports well with programs like Zotero, Notabene and biblio?

Check the Wiki

Warning: Sarcasm is my love language. I may inadvertently express my love to you.

Posts 3809
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 17 2009 4:32 AM

Thomas Black:
I would also like a biblio to be generated from collection files.  That matches my usage in L3.  If I were working on an article, I would add each resource to a collection and then create a Biblio from it.

Actually that brings to mind tags. Bibliographies generated by a specific tag would be great.

Posts 8601
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 17 2009 6:46 AM

Philip Spitzer:
Actually that brings to mind tags. Bibliographies generated by a specific tag would be great.
+1 Yes

Check the Wiki

Posts 274
Daniel Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 17 2009 7:54 AM

Bob Pritchett:

Generating from a collection would be ideal for me, particularly if we could create a collection based on resource add date.  For me, I have my Logos works in Zotero - as of now, exported from 3, so lots of the Logos 4 stuff is missing. 

If I could create a collection of "all resources between ___ and ___" and export in BibTex or another format compatible with Zotero, then I would have all the books I'd added since a given point.  That would be most helpful.  Otherwise I have to export all resources, import to Zotero, retag, etc.

Posts 653
Alex Scott | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 17 2009 8:56 AM

Bob Pritchett:
How do you want to specify which books to generate a bibliography of?

For me, I'd prefer the whole library at least.

Longtime Logos user (more than $30,000 in purchases) - now a second class user because I won't pay them more every month or year.

Posts 188
Kevin Taylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 17 2009 9:21 AM

Bob Pritchett:

While I like the Clippings idea I think that the Logos 3 entire Library method should be here as well.  Logos 4 is an upgrade and a good one at that, but any upgrade should allow you to keep what you had and add more not take options away.  While this may be one of the more minor details I still see great value in have the bibliography for an entire library and hope to see it added to Logos 4 soon.

Logos 5, Windows & Android perfect together....

Posts 692
Otto S. Carroll | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 17 2009 10:02 AM

Bob Pritchett:

In Logos 3, I use the "Titles and Location" bibliography of my entire library and the "Account Summary" report to manage my library. I keep updated pdf copies of both and would love to have this option in Logos 4.

15" rMBP 2.6 GHz i7 | 16 GB RAM | 1.0 TB Flash Drive | OS X 10.12.3 | Logos 7.0 (7.3.0.0062)

Posts 314
Steven L. Spencer | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 17 2009 10:04 AM

I totally agree! The bibliography should be in the top 5 priority list. Mid-October 2010 is way too long to wait for this important feature.

Page 1 of 3 (47 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS