CP Princeton Theological Review: Bid Low!

Page 1 of 1 (19 items)
This post has 18 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 201
Garrett Ho | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Mar 15 2012 10:07 PM

Princeton Theological Review

Currently the projected price is $225 but there isn't a peak on the graph. If everyone bids $50 or around there while the CP is still new, we can quickly have a new, low projected price. If you're wondering what will happen if the projected price stays high, just look at the Classic Commentaries on Revelation, which have been languishing at $160 for 8 months.

In at $50!

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 15 2012 10:37 PM

Garrett Ho:
Princeton Theological Review

Couple observations: hardcopy price is $ 999; also has over 65,000 pages, which is a bit over 5 times as large as  Classic Commentaries on Revelation

Placed a bid much higher than $ 50 for a resource with many well known authors.

Edit: a bid of $ 100 has a 90 % discount compared to hardcopy purchase.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 18668
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 15 2012 11:05 PM

I just jumped in at $50. At that price, though, it might take way more bidders to make it up over the top than ever buy any journals. Bob has said somewhere that the number of users of most of the journals is in the hundreds. If 100 people each bid 50, that's only $5000, and I'm guessing it will cost Logos quite a bit more than that to bring this into publication. We'll see.

Posts 767
Alan Charles Gielczyk | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 15 2012 11:33 PM

This is a steal at $100 and that is where I jumped in. At $100 it will take half the bidders $50 takes. Ok, that is self evident but it's late.

Posts 521
Russ White | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 16 2012 12:03 AM

I jumped in at $100, as well...

:-)

Russ

Posts 18668
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 16 2012 12:09 AM

The going price is now down to $100 from $225. It's too soon to tell, but that seems to be a price that will get bidders and could make it to 100% in a reasonable amount of time. As KS4J pointed out, it's a 90% discount off the print-based retail price.

Posts 10030
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 16 2012 12:45 AM

Rosie Perera:

The going price is now down to $100 from $225. It's too soon to tell, but that seems to be a price that will get bidders and could make it to 100% in a reasonable amount of time. As KS4J pointed out, it's a 90% discount off the print-based retail price.

Nevertheless... I'm in at $50

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 245
BriM | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 16 2012 1:35 AM

Also in at $50.

Posts 44
Schamma | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 16 2012 1:48 AM

Also in at $50. And - for the moment - this is the projected price.

Posts 18668
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 16 2012 1:59 AM

The price is now down to $50. Now everybody bid on this amazing resource! Even if you only bid $25. It might still go down that low.

Yes, this collection of journals (65,000 pages worth) is old, and yes it's available free online, but the pages are images, not searchable. And imagine how much work it would be to download these all onto your computer, OCR them, and turn them into Personal Books. Let's say you make $10-$25 an hour at your job (might be more or less). Isn't it worth the equivalent of about 2 hours of your time to have someone else spend HOURS and HOURS converting these journals into fully indexed and linked Logos resource for you?

Now what about the charge that the journals are old (1825-1929 to be exact)? Well, consider that it's got articles by these folks whom you might be willing to buy books by in your library, and that might make you reconsider. Journal articles are short and to the point and often much more relevant than trying to wade through an entire book (even with Logos's powerful search capabilities) finding information for something you're studying or writing on for school.

• Charles Hodge
  • A. A. Hodge
  • B. B. Warfield
  • Philip Schaff
  • Archibald Alexander
  • William G. T. Shedd
  • J. Gresham Machen
  • Geerhardus Vos
  • James Orr
  • Charles G. Finney
  • Robert Lewis Dabney
  • Frederic Godet
  • Abraham Kuyper
  • A. T. Robertson
  • H. C. G. Moule

Many more, but these are the ones whose names I'm most familiar with from the list Logos gave on the product description page. And they left out some big names like Herman Bavinck, George McCready Price, John Macleod, Louis Berkhof.

Also, these issues are from the time before the fundamentalism/modernism controversy which split the Presbyterian Church. It's a fascinating look at the history of Presbyterianism in the US. See articles like "Our Indians and the Duty of the Presbyterian Church to Them" by J. Elliot Condict; "Calvinism and American Independence" by Thomas Balch; "The Great Awakening of 1740" by Lyman H. Atwater; "Catholic Elements in Presbyterianism" by Edward D. Morris.

Also there are hundreds of articles still useful to us today, with solid scholarship: e.g., "Tertullian and the Beginning of the Doctrine of the Trinity" by Benjamin B. Warfield; "The New Testament Account of the Birth of Jesus" by J. Gresham Machen; "Calvin and Common Grace" by Herman Bavinck.

Browse through some of the other fascinating article titles here: http://www.logos.com/product/17817/princeton-theological-review

And then consider whether this is worth a bid for $25 or $50 to you. And go bid. It's non-binding at this point.

Posts 1703
Robert M. Warren | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 16 2012 9:51 AM

With guys like these, old is good.

I'm wondering how old Finney got in there, since he's an imaginary Presbyterian at best, and probably best considered a Pelagian. Charles Hodge had an interesting observation in his review of Finney's Lectures on Systematic Theology.:

"This is in more senses than one a remarkable book. It is to a degree very unusual an original work; it is the product of the author's own mind. The principles which he holds, have indeed been held by others; and the conclusions at which he arrives had been reached before; but still it is abundantly evident that all the principles here advanced are adopted by the writer, not on authority, but on conviction, and that the conclusions presented have all been wrought out by himself and for himself. The work is therefore in a high degree logical. It is as hard to read as Euclid. Nothing can be omitted; nothing passed over slightly. The unhappy reader once committed to a perusal is obliged to go on, sentence by sentence, through the long concatenation. There is not one resting-place; not one lapse into amplification, or declamation, from beginning to the close. It is like one of those spiral staircases, which lead to the top of some high tower, without a landing from the base to the summit; which if a man has once ascended, he resolves never to do the like again."

Win 10 Android 8.1 Fire OS 5

Posts 1599
Ken McGuire | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 16 2012 10:05 AM

Robert M. Warren:

I'm wondering how old Finney got in there, since he's an imaginary Presbyterian at best, and probably best considered a Pelagian. Charles Hodge had an interesting observation in his review of Finney's Lectures on Systematic Theology.:

That name jumped out to me too.  I'm wondering if it isn't a review of Finney rather than the text itself?  

The Gospel is not ... a "new law," on the contrary, ... a "new life." - William Julius Mann

Posts 737
Evan Boardman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 16 2012 10:15 AM

Robert Lewis Dabney works still need bidders!!!!Ick! http://www.logos.com/product/8520/robert-lewis-dabney-collection

Posts 1783
Tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 16 2012 12:32 PM

Evan Boardman:

Robert Lewis Dabney works still need bidders!!!!Ick! http://www.logos.com/product/8520/robert-lewis-dabney-collection

Yes Big Smile Yes

www.hombrereformado.org  Solo a Dios la Gloria   Apoyo

Posts 1178
David Wilson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 16 2012 5:39 PM

$100 bids would be "low" for this.  At $50 it would be a bargain !! 

It should be able to generate enough interest to go for $50, but IF it stagnates it is well worth doubling the bid to $100......

Posts 654
David Bailey | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 16 2012 6:18 PM

I'm in at $50.  Looking forward to this massive resource next year!

Posts 2331
Ronald Quick | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 16 2012 6:18 PM

I'm in for $50 also.

Posts 168
Bill Gordon | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 17 2012 5:26 AM

I'm in at $50. At this price each volume is only about 11 cents each.

Posts 18668
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 17 2012 5:30 AM

Bill Gordon:

I'm in at $50. At this price each volume is only about 11 cents each.

Wow, it's going to take a lot of bids to make up the cost of production then. Everyone tweet about it, post it on Facebook, email your friends.

Page 1 of 1 (19 items) | RSS