Princeton Theological Review (443 issues) - initial price too high

Page 6 of 8 (151 items) « First ... < Previous 4 5 6 7 8 Next >
This post has 150 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 485
Randy Lane | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 5 2012 4:07 PM

Beloved:

Been in @$75 since 8/12 would seriously consider raising bid to $100 if I saw a peak at this price

Consider this.

Out of over 90 Community Pricing listings, only 10 have more actual bids than the Princeton Review. But at $50, which is the price that it appears most of the bidders have said is the most they will pay, it has not even garnered 20% of the necessary interest to become a genuine pre-pub and get scheduled for development.

Posts 3166
Beloved Amodeo | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 5 2012 4:29 PM

Randal M Lane:
But at $50, which is the price that it appears most of the bidders have said is the most they will pay, it has not even garnered 20% of the necessary interest to become a genuine pre-pub

So, what will happen if there are half as many new bids at $100?

Meanwhile, Jesus kept on growing wiser and more mature, and in favor with God and his fellow man.

International Standard Version. (2011). (Lk 2:52). Yorba Linda, CA: ISV Foundation.

MacBook Pro macOS Big Sur 11.6 1TB SSD 

Posts 737
Evan Boardman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 5 2012 5:38 PM

tom collinge:

JRS:
a most worthy investment!)
FYI... Those of us at $50 don't think it is a worthy investment at 100.

Then why bid at all if you know $50 isnt gonna do anything?

Posts 159
Darcy S. Van Horn | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 5 2012 6:06 PM

I've just upped my bid from $50 to $150.  I doubt it's going to ship within the next 12 months or so, even if everyone bids $150.  By January 2014 I will have a 'refreshed' book allowance (the Lord willing) that will hopefully not already be pre-committed (like my January 2013 book allowance is!), so $150 should be 'do-able' and well worth it.  This material looks like it will be very valuable, and doubly so in Logos (as compared to print).

In Him,

Darcy

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 5 2012 6:19 PM

Evan Boardman:
Then why bid at all if you know $50 isnt gonna do anything?
Because I am willing to pay $50 for this product.

Posts 194
KPK | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 5 2012 6:34 PM

I bidded 50. :)

Posts 485
Randy Lane | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 6 2012 8:33 AM

Beloved:

Randal M Lane:
But at $50, which is the price that it appears most of the bidders have said is the most they will pay, it has not even garnered 20% of the necessary interest to become a genuine pre-pub

So, what will happen if there are half as many new bids at $100?

Depends on whether that happens becuase existing bidders raise their bids, or because there is a slew of new bids at $100

Given that the product has already garnered a high number of bids (ranks as #11 among all Community Pricing products in terms of the quantity of bids), I doubt seriously that there are enogh potential new bidders out there for the journal to make it into production unles the large majority of existing bidders raise their bid amount, and probably to at least $150 at that.

Posts 826
JRS | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 6 2012 9:12 AM

Darcy S. Van Horn:

I've just upped my bid from $50 to $150.  I doubt it's going to ship within the next 12 months or so, even if everyone bids $150.  By January 2014 I will have a 'refreshed' book allowance (the Lord willing) that will hopefully not already be pre-committed (like my January 2013 book allowance is!), so $150 should be 'do-able' and well worth it.  This material looks like it will be very valuable, and doubly so in Logos (as compared to print).

In Him,

Darcy

Personally, I think DSVH has the proper approach to this particular product.  It appears that it is going to be a long, hard slosh to get it over the %100 threshhold and then, because of its size, I suspect it is going to be months in production.  Bid $150 now, start saving your pennies, and by the time Logos is ready to bill you it shouldn't be a problem. 

Hodge/Hodge, Vos, Machen, Warfield, &etc.   ...    "There were giants in the earth in those days"

JRS has left the building.

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 12 2013 7:50 PM

Phil Gons:
$100 is probably the minimum price it'll require in order to cover the production cost. At $50 we'd need a lot more people to participate in Community Pricing, and it could take many years. So for those of you pushing for $50, you need to make sure you're getting 10 friends who don't use CP to jump on board and place a bid (and they need to bring 10 friends too)! Otherwise, moving your bids up to $100 is in everyone's best interest.

I would like to suggest this resource is worth at least $.50 per issue. If a lot of $50 bidders can see their way to $100 we might see this go over by the end of the year.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 9629
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 13 2013 4:07 AM

Since this is not moving very quickly I agree that a new strategy is needed. I raised my bid this morning.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 1987
mike | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 13 2013 4:38 AM

Posts 72
papa_gowgow | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 13 2013 6:06 AM

Bruce Dunning:

Since this is not moving very quickly I agree that a new strategy is needed. I raised my bid this morning.

Agreed. I'm in at $100

Posts 2279
Andy | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 13 2013 11:30 AM

Bruce Dunning:

I also agree. I have just upped my bid.

Posts 124
Mark Ziebold | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 13 2013 1:24 PM

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 13 2013 1:26 PM

upped to $200

Posts 826
JRS | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 13 2013 4:54 PM

Super Tramp:
upped to $200

Moi aussi, mais ...

this entire exercise illustrates the weakness of the Community Pricing model.  CP works well for single books and/or wildly popular/highly desired volumes.  But for extremely large collections with limited numbers of bidders, it is difficult if not impossible to know what to bid.  We want to keep the price low for the sake of our own budgets and so that as many people as possible can participate, but we also want to be realistic and get the number and size of bids up to where they are effective so we don't have to watch this set languish for years.

The problem is that we, the bidders, are not privy to certain information such as 1) the number of bidders at any given time and 2) the actual projected cost of development.  This is certainly understandable from Logos point of view but it leaves the bidders blindly swinging at a piñata with little or no idea as to how close or how far away they are.  Earlier comments from Logos employees in this thread are of minimal help except to say that everyone needs a much bigger bat and more people need to be swinging.

Breaking up the collection during CP bidding (as some have suggested/requested) will not help since the total projected cost of development will remain the same (or might even go higher due to a longer development period).  We would just be swinging at three or four different piñatas.

What is needed is some more relevant information to help us 'solve' this currently indeterminate puzzle.  Recognizing that Logos does not want to release specific development cost information, I propose the following: 

Publish two CP benchmarks for bidders to consider. 

First would be what bid is required if the historically highest number of bidders were to bid on this set.  IOW, if the largest number of bidders for any past CP product was, say, 80,000 people on the XYZ Commentary back in 2010, then Logos would use this number to project the necessary bid to get PTR over the line.  No need to publish the number of bidders or any other information ... just give us the value of BIDMAX.  Assuming all of the previous 80,000 people could be persuaded to bid at the BIDMAX level, then BIDMAX would approximate the lowest price that could be expected for this set.

Second would be what bid is required if the historical average number of bidders were to bid on this set.  IOW, take a raw average of the number of bidders for all successful CP products and then use this number to project the necessary bid to get PTR over the line.  Again, no need to publish the number of bidders or any other information ... just give us the value of BIDAVG.  BIDAVG would approximate a more-easily-obtained, reasonable price for the set and, because of the fewer number of bidders it is based on, will be a higher price than for BIDMAX.

In essence,  these two benchmarks have established a bracketed range of reasonable bids.

JRS has left the building.

Posts 9527
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 13 2013 5:34 PM

JRS:

Publish two CP benchmarks for bidders to consider. 

First would be what bid is required if the historically highest number of bidders were to bid on this set.  IOW, if the largest number of bidders for any past CP product was, say, 80,000 people on the XYZ Commentary back in 2010, then Logos would use this number to project the necessary bid to get PTR over the line.  No need to publish the number of bidders or any other information ... just give us the value of BIDMAX.  Assuming all of the previous 80,000 people could be persuaded to bid at the BIDMAX level, then BIDMAX would approximate the lowest price that could be expected for this set.

Second would be what bid is required if the historical average number of bidders were to bid on this set.  IOW, take a raw average of the number of bidders for all successful CP products and then use this number to project the necessary bid to get PTR over the line.  Again, no need to publish the number of bidders or any other information ... just give us the value of BIDAVG.  BIDAVG would approximate a more-easily-obtained, reasonable price for the set and, because of the fewer number of bidders it is based on, will be a higher price than for BIDMAX.

I agree these would be helpful and better than some suggested bid by Logos.

I just don't think this collection is what bidders want. At $200 it is less than $0.50 a volume, but that is still a lot of money for largely dated material.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 14 2013 12:04 PM

Mark Smith:

I just don't think this collection is what bidders want. At $200 it is less than $0.50 a volume, but that is still a lot of money for largely dated material.

Yes

This is why my bid is at $50, and it is staying at $50.

Posts 2853
Forum MVP
Ted Hans | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 14 2013 12:45 PM

Mark Smith:

I agree these would be helpful and better than some suggested bid by Logos.

I'm in at $100, might consider $150 but $200, not sure.

Dell, studio XPS 7100, Ram 8GB, 64 - bit Operating System, AMD Phenom(mt) IIX6 1055T Processor 2.80 GHZ

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 14 2013 3:40 PM

bump  

Princeton Theological Review (443 issues)

Page 6 of 8 (151 items) « First ... < Previous 4 5 6 7 8 Next > | RSS