larger ssd

Page 1 of 3 (45 items) 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 44 Replies | 5 Followers

Posts 164
Rick Harrell | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Mar 19 2012 3:30 PM

I have a great laptop system for Logos (i7 processor, 16G ram, 64 G SSD, 500 G 7200 RPM SATA secondary, 1G video ram, WIndows 7))  with one drawback - Toshiba installs the operating system and other stuff on the ssd rather than the other hard drive (7200 500g SATA). I want to replace the 64 G SSD with a 120 or larger. A tech at Geek Squad told me that it was possible to replace the SSD (which is the C drive thank you Toshiba) and then to reinstall Windows and the other factory stuff from the recovery disks. 

I ran out of memory on the SSD and switched Logos to the secondary drive - the resulting slowdown in Logos operation makes me sad.

Do any of you have any thoughts / suggestions about this process? 

Thanks.

Posts 34
dency hutchings | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 19 2012 3:39 PM

Hey Rick,

With a budget of:   $0, $100, $500, unlimited?

Posts 164
Rick Harrell | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 19 2012 3:49 PM

Budget of around $300. (for parts) I have seen Crucial 256 SSD on Amazon for 320. I don't know how easy an install that would be in my Toshiba. I would call Crucial first. 128 is $163 on Amazon. If the cost went to high i would start saving for a Mac desktop.

Posts 28228
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 19 2012 4:24 PM

Rick Harrell:
If the cost went to high i would start saving for a Mac desktop.

Yes

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 418
davidphillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 19 2012 4:48 PM

I'd check newegg.com. Sign-up for their e-mail specials. They run about 10 e-mail specials per week. If you're willing to wait, you can probably pick up a great deal.

Posts 34
dency hutchings | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 19 2012 4:54 PM

Yes

Hey man,

While the decision is yours I would weigh how much that perceived quickness vs sadness (slowness) affected my personal relationship with the Mighty One.  Then there are all those distractions, family, blessings, giving, book buying.  IMHO  When we (spend to tweak) that is a 'seed being sown' vs stewardship of resources we manage.

Posts 29
Orville J Erickson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 19 2012 5:33 PM

Reinstalling Windows from the disks is one option, but another option would be to buy a hard drive/SSD replacement kit that allows you to hook the new SSD to a USB port, then clone your current SSD to it, then you just swap out the drive - you get the additional space of the new drive, but all your other data, settings, etc are intact.  Dell sells one for example:  http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&cs=04&sku=A5274985&baynote_bnrank=1&baynote_irrank=0&~ck=baynoteSearch

You want the OS on the SSD because the OS has to load and run every time you run the system.  If it was on the slower 500GB you whole system would slow down, including Logos.

Orville

Posts 602
Bill Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 19 2012 6:45 PM

I just built a desktop system around a Patriot Wildfire SSD (240GB). It is a SATA III drive, so I had to make sure I had SATA III on the motherboard I purchased. Everything is super quick, with read/write transfer rates of 500/550 MB per second. 

If your motherboard has SATA II, then get a SATA II SSD. You'll get transfer rates about half of what I get with my Patriot Wildfire, but that is significantly faster than a 7200 rpm HDD.

Posts 570
Rev Chris | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 19 2012 7:07 PM

It really shouldn't be that difficult or expensive.  Find the SSD that fits your liking (and your machine) and swap it out with a screwdriver.  Just make sure you stay grounded properly and make sure you have a Windows install disk.  The problem with most Windows OEM installations is that they don't provide you with a Windows install disk (those days passed by long ago).  So, you're probably looking at buying a new copy of Windows along with your SSD.  Also make sure you have installation discs/software for your other programs once you get Windows up and running.  You'll probably be fine with drivers and what not - the internet is the most crucial one, and Windows comes with a plethora of those drivers pre-installed.  Most any other can be downloaded for free with a bit of searching.

But, that's why I like my Mac.  It came with a OSX installation disc and the parts are standardized so I don't have to worry about finding drivers and making things work.  (That and I find OSX to be better in many respects to Windows)

Pastor, seminary trustee, and app developer.  Check out my latest app for churches: The Church App

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 19 2012 10:40 PM

Rick Harrell:
Do any of you have any thoughts / suggestions about this process? 

One option is using => http://clonezilla.org/ to clone 64 G SSD to a larger SSD, which could be done by booting up Clonezilla, create an image for 64 G SSD on your 500 G drive.  Shut down computer, swap SSD's, then boot up Clonezilla, then restore image to larger SSD.

Personally partitioned a hard drive to have a dedicated fast partition for Logos 4 use.

Also may want to consider a RAM disk for Temporary files to reduce some SSD wear and tear.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 19 2012 10:47 PM

Rick Harrell:

Anticipating MacBook Air model refreshes later this year => http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/ 

Apple offers refurbished MacBook Air models => http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/macbook_air 

If was shopping for an ultrabook, would suggest refurbished 2011 MacBook Air models with 4 G of RAM.

For a desktop, a 27" iMac has 2,560 x 1,440 screen resolution => http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/imac/27 

Apple refurbished models have same warranty and packaging as new, with a sticker on the outside of the box indicating refurbished.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 1973
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 20 2012 8:55 AM

for all those who feel a need to promote Apple products in the Logos 4 WINDOWS Forum. Have you seen this? http://newsfeed.time.com/2012/03/12/watch-improv-everywhere-crashes-ted-conference/

There is a reason it is amusing. The Spinning Pizza happens often enough that it is a frustration for those within the Mac world. It is a reality that Mac users love to hate the spinning pizza.

I have read the L4Mac forums that complain about the lack of parity with L4Windows and have concluded that MAC hardware is not the best choice for me, but I keep my peace rather than hijack the threads and try to convert to the PC way of work.

Do us all a favor and keep the Pro MAC comments within the MAC forum and keep the pro PC comments in the Windows forum. When I am looking for a solution for a PC problem I don't want to hear how spending an additional $1000 on hardware will solve it (I just priced out a 15" MBP with 8 GB Ram. i7, discrete graphics and SSD at $2699 US and I can get a similar Dell 15z for only $1620).

I am NOT anti Apple. I own an iPod touch and recently bought an iPad. They are great for what they do and are useful tools for ministry. I just tire of hearing that Apple products are the solution to every PC frustration.

Rant concluded. Big Smile

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 570
Rev Chris | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 20 2012 9:46 AM

David,

We were simply responding to the OP's comment that he was on the fence between Mac's and PC's:

Rick Harrell:

Contrary to what you think our intentions may have been, we weren't "hijacking" this thread - we were simply helping the OP make a better decision.

Pastor, seminary trustee, and app developer.  Check out my latest app for churches: The Church App

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 20 2012 11:23 AM

David Thomas:
There is a reason it is amusing. The Spinning Pizza happens often enough that it is a frustration for those within the Mac world. It is a reality that Mac users love to hate the spinning pizza.

Concur spinning beach ball (or pizza) is no fun on Mac.  For Logos 4, Mac has inherited PC tendency for periodic reboot; have learned to monitor memory usage.  By the way, have experienced a number of no fun issues on PC too.  Overall, Mac OS X tends to be easier to use so Logos 4 Mac receives more complaints about not just working.

Not funny link is a recent Windows remote desktop connection vulnerability (patch or setting change is needed) => http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9225293/Microsoft_blames_security_info_sharing_program_for_attack_code_leak

Apologies: not know how Windows 8 will affect Mac sales => Why I'm finally switching to the Mac (written by a long time Windows enthusiast)

David Thomas:
I have read the L4Mac forums that complain about the lack of parity with L4Windows and have concluded that MAC hardware is not the best choice for me, but I keep my peace rather than hijack the threads and try to convert to the PC way of work.

Concur Logos 4 on Mac lacks a number of features compared to Logos 4 on PC; wiki has => Feature Parity with notable Logos 4.5 list reduction of 18 items. Thankful for many Logos 4 improvements on Mac and PC, including Personal Books.  Observation: Microsoft Word 2010 on PC can handle Hebrew and hyperlinks with logosres: URL, but Word 2011 on Mac cannot (however Word 2011 on Mac combines Word and Publisher for similar capabilities as Pages).

Caveat: Logos 4.5b Beta 4 is a bit buggy; have crashed and hung several times this week on Mac and PC since sync on startup and shutdown needs improvement on both platforms.  Since Logos combined releases for Mac and PC in March 2011, have noticed substantial feature parity improvement.

Also aware Logos 4 on both platforms has performance improvement opportunities; hence Logos User Voice suggestion => Improve Logos 4 Menu Responsiveness

David Thomas:
Do us all a favor and keep the Pro MAC comments within the MAC forum and keep the pro PC comments in the Windows forum. When I am looking for a solution for a PC problem I don't want to hear how spending an additional $1000 on hardware will solve it (I just priced out a 15" MBP with 8 GB Ram. i7, discrete graphics and SSD at $2699 US and I can get a similar Dell 15z for only $1620).

Concur MacBook Pro models have premium pricing; for more fun, compare 17" models, where can purchase two refurbished Dell 17" laptops for same price (or less) than one refurbished 17" MacBook Pro.

In contrast, refurbished MacBook Air models have the best ultrabook hardware pricing.  Less expensive ultrabooks by other manufacturers have less hardware.  By way of comparison, a 13" MacBook Air with 1.8 GHz i7, 4 GB RAM, and 256 GB SSD is $ 1,439 => Refurbished MacBook Air 1.8GHz dual-core Intel Core i7 (with slower 1.7 GHz i5 CPU, price drops to $ 1,349).  The 13.3" MacBook Air has the same 1440 x 900 screen resolution as a 15" MacBook Pro (MBP).

Apple has a Boot Camp option (with hardware drivers for Windows) so can run Windows natively on a MacBook Air.  Windows license not included (am aware of low cost licenses for education and non-profit organizations).

David Thomas:
Rant concluded. Big Smile

Apologies Embarrassed will try to remember to keep pro Mac comments out of Windows forum.

Thankful that Logos 4 works on both Mac and PC with similar user experience.  Likewise Thankful for Logos 4 being free to install on Mac and PC along with being able to use Logos resources on either platform.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 20 2012 11:24 AM

David B Phillips:

I'd check newegg.com. Sign-up for their e-mail specials. They run about 10 e-mail specials per week. If you're willing to wait, you can probably pick up a great deal.

Looking at Newegg today, noticed daily shell shocker => http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227726 has 120 G SSD for $ 139.99 with $ 30 mail-in rebate.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 164
Rick Harrell | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 20 2012 1:25 PM

dency hutchings:
I would weigh how much that perceived quickness vs sadness (slowness) affected my personal relationship with the Mighty One

As far as I know this issue does not affect my relationship with Jesus at all... It does impact my sermon preparation as delays in typing speed in notes and delays in the note window cause me to use features less frequently and subsequently impacts the depth of my study. i bought the machine for Logos use, and want to make it as effective a study and sermon preparation tool as possible.

Posts 164
Rick Harrell | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 20 2012 1:28 PM

Thank you all for the input and suggestions. the Forum continues to encourage me and make Logos 4 a more effective tool for my sermon prep and study of the Word.

It looks as if swapping out an SSD is neither as pricey nor as daunting as I had thought.

Thanks again to all, and may God richly bless you as you study and share His Word.

Rick

Posts 34
dency hutchings | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 20 2012 3:26 PM

Rick,

Thanks for your post.  Communication is always difficult.  Mea Culpa I did not intend that thought.  More like choose the 'good portion' you won't miss Jesus that way.  Apology to you for any offense.

Posts 164
Rick Harrell | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 20 2012 3:48 PM

Thanks Dency - No offense taken. May God bless you a bunch. Rick

Posts 3
Curtis Froisland | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 30 2012 8:23 AM

Newegg is doing 15% off OCZ SSDs right now using promo code 

HARDOCPX328D

.  You can get a OCZ Agility 3 240GB with SATA 3 speeds for $209 after 15% and $20 rebate.  Pretty high bang for buck.

Page 1 of 3 (45 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS