Welcome to the Forums

Page 1 of 2 (32 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 31 Replies | 6 Followers

Posts 104
Jayson Bradley | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Mar 28 2012 2:12 PM

Welcome to the forums! Come on in, make yourself comfortable, and get to know some other Logos Bible Software users!

With over 75,000 users, this forum is a great place to get many of your questions answered, meet a lot of wonderful people, and learn many new tricks and tips from seasoned Logos users.

• For starters tell us how long you have been a Logos user?
  • What kinds of resources or packages you own?
  • What kinds of tasks do you use your Logos software for?
  • And what is on your Logos wish list?

Posts 15769
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 28 2012 2:36 PM

I was probably the very first beta tester outside of Bob Pritchett's own family, back in 1991 when Logos was not even a company yet, when Bob and his colleague Kiernon at Microsoft were working on it in their spare time.

I have upgraded base packages several times along the way from the first time the concept of "base packages" was introduced, when Bob gave me a free copy of Logos 2.0 Level 4 with everything unlocked! Whee!  I've spent more than enough since then to make up for his generosity. I won't confess the amount but it's in the 5 digits. I now own Portfolio plus lots of add-on resources. I've got over 9000 resources in my Library, and that doesn't count the more than 1000 I've hidden because they aren't useful to me.

I use Logos for personal study, sermon prep, worship service planning, reading books of interest, general research, and helping others on the Logos forums. (I was an MVP formally for a couple of years and am now reducing the time I spend on the forums so I'm an MVP Emerita.)

There's not much on my Logos wish list since I've bought just about everything in the catalog that I'll ever want already. But there are books I wish Logos would produce. Top on my list are the works of John Stott and C.S. Lewis. Also more works by faculty and teaching fellows from Regent College (my alma mater), such as Gordon Fee, J.I. Packer, Eugene Peterson, Marva Dawn, and many others less prolific and less well known, but no less wonderful. I'm working up a list of those ones to request, since I think others would benefit from them as well.

Posts 3164
Forum MVP
Dan DeVilder | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 28 2012 3:01 PM

Jayson Bradley:
For starters tell us how long you have been a Logos user?

I had some Logos products in 2000 or earlier, but didn't get the bible package until around 2003 or so.  I bought Series X, Scholars, from a bookstore, who'd marked it incorrectly, netting me about a 2-300 dollar savings.  And they stood by that discount, when I (almost didn't!) pointed it out.  Since then, I have steadily upgraded and looked for deals.

Jayson Bradley:
What kinds of resources or packages you own?

Portfolio, which was the hardest to justify.  But it came around Logos 4, and I couldn't refuse the great discount.  I also have Perseus, which I am starting to dabble in, and looks good for my homeschool kids at home.  I have some video resources (using greek/hebrew, e.g.), and have started snapping up Vyrso books, and have downloaded both readers.

Jayson Bradley:
What kinds of tasks do you use your Logos software for?

1. Preaching studies--use passage guide (sometimes Explorer), exegetical guide, interlinears, commentaries, illustrations
  2. devotions--RCL daily readings, various books that I feel drawn to
  3. pastoral care/chaplaincy studies: research my library for various topics: bio-medical ethics, transactional analysis, theory, etc
  4. worship resources--such as the Library of Christian Worship by Robert Webber, to use in planning services
  5. reading to stretch me: eastern orthodoxy, science/astronomy, etc.
  6. Just for fun: Pujols' biography, Dietrich Bonhoeffer biography
  7. Kids' books: downloaded several around Christmas, and then some.  breaking them in.

Those are a few uses.  I love the clipping tool.

HP Pavilion dv 7z 1000   AMD Turion X2 Ultra Dual-Core Mobile ZM-80 2.10 GHz  3.00 GB RAM 64-bit Win 7

Posts 3164
Forum MVP
Dan DeVilder | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 28 2012 3:14 PM

Jayson Bradley:
And what is on your Logos wish list?

1. NT Wright resources
  2. Commentary Sets: Hermeneia, AYB, Paideia, Black's, Cornerstone upgrade, Interpretation etc
  3. Fortress Press collections: Paul, Pastoral counseling
  4. Various Zondervan Collections: counterpoints, NIVAC, EBC, etc etc. 
  5. Ratzinger collection
  6. Lion History
  7. Missional Theology collection
  8. Jesus Studies collection
  9. SPCK NT Studies
  10. Guide to NT Exegesis
  11. Removing the Veil book
  12. The Anabaptists
  13. OT Theology, volumes 3 (have 1 & 2)
  14. several other single volumes.

HP Pavilion dv 7z 1000   AMD Turion X2 Ultra Dual-Core Mobile ZM-80 2.10 GHz  3.00 GB RAM 64-bit Win 7

Posts 1
Jayson Goff | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 28 2012 6:38 PM

My son works at Logos and I want to support his vocation. I have been an avid bible student for the past 25 years. I have the software on my Droid phone and my Mac. I plan to expand my software packages as the Lord provides the resources.

Posts 2
Robin Hughes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 29 2012 4:43 AM

Hello Jayson,

I love this software!!! It has revolutionized my Bible Study.

In answer to your questions:

I have been a user for about two months

I have the scholar package

I use the software for topical study, book study and historical information

Wish list - i am going to be teaching a class on a new testament overview.  How can I find resources on Logos to help me?

John Hughes

Posts 10177
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 29 2012 6:06 AM

Hi John - and welcome to the forums

Robin Hughes:
Wish list - i am going to be teaching a class on a new testament overview.  How can I find resources on Logos to help me?

You should have some resources already in your library

If you open your library (for details see http://wiki.logos.com/Library__) and put a search string such as "title(introduction, introducing) in the filter box you will get results something like the ones below. (This syntax searches for books with titles containing either "Introduction" or "Introducing")

You may also get some introductory material in your dictionaries.

If you want access to more such resources, go to the Logos product page - http://www.logos.com/products and use the filters on the left-hand side to select Introductions and "New Testament" you should get some resources to look at.

Hope this helps

Graham

Posts 1718
Paul-C | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 29 2012 6:19 AM

Robin Hughes:

John Hughes

Hi John.  At the moment there are a few resources going through the "March Madness" sale which may interest you including:

Introduction to the Old Testament by Longman - $24.49 sale price

An Introduction to the New Testament by Moo - $20.79 sale price

Introducing the New Testament: A Short Guide to Its History and Message by Moo - $8.44 sale price

If you do buy a March Madness resource, make sure you click the "Buy" button from the March Madness website to ensure you receive the proper discount at the check-out.  Otherwise, buy the resource normally through Logos' website, but make sure to note the relevant March Madness discount/coupon code (again, found on the March Madness website linked above.)

Posts 1
Larry R. Seabolt | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 29 2012 6:23 AM

The first contact I had with Logos was in Feb 2010 when I purchased the Scholars Silver package.  Soon after I enrolled in college at Appalachian Bible College, and began to see how valuable the software was and upgraded to the Platinum package.  I have completed the process by getting the Portfolio package and an now adding books to it.  That makes it about 2 years that I have been using Logos.  I am totally pleased with Logos and am in it every day and night.

I use it for personal Bible study, daily devotions, Sunday School Lessons, and inquiries about things I find in the Scriptures that I need to know more about to get a closer understanding of God’s Word and draw closer to Him.

My wish list is non-existent right now.  I continue to look for collections and book sets that I don’t have but really and truly, I have so much right now that I probably will not have scratched the surface of the software by the time I leave this world! 

Posts 602
Graham Owen | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 29 2012 6:45 AM

Started with Logos 2.0 in 1996...

I own Platinum plus quite a lot of other stuff making around 6,300 resources.

Sermon preparation, general study, reading, lesson preparation, fun!

I would definitely like to see more pentecostal materials specifically those from Pathway Press our denomination's publishing house and especially our training materials which are similar to the Assemblies of God ones that are available.

God Bless

Graham

Pastor - NTCOG Basingstoke

Posts 1
Tshililo Liphadzi | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 29 2012 7:11 AM

My name is Tshililo Liphadzi.  I have been using Logos for more than 10 years but very limited in its use.

I have Scholars Library

I use Lgos for the following:

Preaching

Research for writing articles

Reading

My wish list contains books on the following topics

Reformed Theology

African Religion

WisdomLiterature

Old Testament Theology

Posts 13251
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 29 2012 7:35 AM

Robin Hughes:

Welcome Big Smile

Another idea for finding resources in your Logos library searching for subjects:

subject:(Intro,Author,Canon)

then click on Subjects column to group resources by subject, followed by expanding interesting subjects:

My Logos library has Scholar's Platinum plus many additional purchases, including Master Library Builder.  Currently have 6,222 Logos resources, including free Perseus collections.

Graham Criddle:

If you open your library (for details see http://wiki.logos.com/Library__) and put a search string such as "title(introduction, introducing) in the filter box you will get results something like the ones below. (This syntax searches for books with titles containing either "Introduction" or "Introducing")

Optionally, could combine subject and title searches for library filtering:

subject:(Intro,Author,Canon) OR title:Introduc

Note: "title:Introduc" matches both Introduction and Introducing.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 84
Jerry Fourroux | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 29 2012 7:56 AM

I have been a Logos user since 2000 when on my way to seminary friends were giving me Bible Study software including the IVP Reference Collection and Van Til's Library.  I used the old LLS 2.0 for a long time along with Bibleworks for seminary and as an associate pastor.

Upon taking a new ministry senior pastor position with preaching every week, I upgraded to Logos 4 and climbed up to Platinum along with ABD, WBC, and BENCT add ons. 

I have mostly wished for large commentary sets: JPS, NICOT/NICNT, AYB, and Heremenia, but also some fillers that allow me to get the best of Portfolio without going in $2600.

I have learned a ton here and learning more every visit.

Posts 178
DavidS | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 29 2012 9:19 AM
  • For starters tell us how long you have been a Logos user?

I have been using Logos since Nov. 2010. I have used other Bible Software since about 1990. My first love was Quickverse until they messed it up. Then Word Search and Bible Works. I have taught laity to use The Word because of price. I was a systems analyst for NCR before pastoral ministry. What I find the most appealing about Bible Software is how you can open up the Original Languages of scripture with very little knowledge of them. I don't really want to be fluent in them I just want to be able to reap the benefits of greater understanding of our great God and Savior. Let's let the WORD speak to us.

Logos 4 is far superior to everything else I have used. I am glad Logos has entered into the Apple market as I am considering a switch in platforms. I love the fact that Logos 4 allows you to customize how you use it.

• What kinds of resources or packages you own?

I started with the Original Language Package. I have added NIC. and other items. I upgraded to Gold @ Christmas. I am closing in on the $5000 dollar mark.

• What kinds of tasks do you use your Logos software for?

Sermon Prep.; Devotions; Prayer; Biblical Language Studies; Producing Sermon guides of the congregation with MS Publisher; Personal enrichment, mostly in History of Faith; Fun; a Dashboard for everything else I do on my Laptop.

• And what is on your Logos wish list?

The ability to better organize the Library. (maybe nested MyTags or making Collections visible in the library so you could organize by them; this would allow them to be dynamic so books automatically are categorized when they are added to the Library) I know how to use rules to get to what I want but it would be better to go to the Library like a bookshelf and just browse and look at the books; or just pick up the old favorite with ease. I have been working on a system of MyTags which will allow me to better categorize my Library. It is just too much work. Maybe there should be library of congress numbers on each book or Dewey Decimal or something that organizes the Library in a more useful way. If you can't find it you might as well not have it.

The cost of Logos makes it unavailable to to many people from financially strapped seminary students, to foreign pastors and to laity. We are to go unto all the world to reach those in need of Christ. Rosie's 5 digits is obscene when we look a the average income of the world. I know the publishers need to get their cut; the Logos employees must be paid etc. But something must be done. 

Please know that I want Logos to excel to the level of the Lord's vision for it.  I would help to reach that goal if asked. I actually pray for the ministry of Logos. Logos 4 goes far beyond what I could dream in the early 1990's. I believe Bible software is a very important ministry of the great commission of the Church.

Ud Laugh 2 if you had disciples like us.

Posts 178
DavidS | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 29 2012 9:30 AM

Rosie,

I am not shooting at you. You are great!!! God did a very good thing when he made you!!! I am almost half way to 5 digits myself.

Posts 16395
Forum MVP
alabama24 | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 29 2012 9:56 AM

Jayson Bradley:
For starters tell us how long you have been a Logos user?

I dabbled in Logos but lost track when I switched to Mac. I have been using L4 Mac since early 2011.

Jayson Bradley:
What kinds of resources or packages you own?

I own the platinum base package, along with the BECNT & Nelson add on package.

Jayson Bradley:
What kinds of tasks do you use your Logos software for?

I wish I had purchased L4 earlier in my seminary career… but it was very helpful when I did. Since I am between ministries, I do not (regularly/weekly) use it for sermon prep, but I plan to use it when I find my next church family to serve with. I currently use the app for devotional & personal study. I especially like reading my resources on my iPad.

Jayson Bradley:
And what is on your Logos wish list?

I know it is beyond Logos' control, but I would really like the works of C.S. Lewis. I also want to purchase the NICOT/NT, but it is beyond my means at present.

As for the software itself:

1. Closer interaction with Mac OSX Lion (& soon Mountain Lion)
  2. Better file management
  3. Better library organization
  4. System optimization

OSX 10.10 | iOS 8 | L5 Gold | Mac Logs | Install

Posts 4836
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 29 2012 10:42 AM

Robin Hughes:

John, if you are a professor at a College or University, you may want to see if you qualify for academic discount. Call Logos and talk with one of their sales persons.

Everything ever written or spoken in Religion, formatted for Logos Bible Software. Logos Youtube Channel

Posts 468
Matt Hamrick | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 29 2012 10:59 AM

I've been a Logos user since about mid 2006 and I started with Scholars. Since then, I have upgraded to Portfolio and have a ton of add on resources I have purchased. I am a second semester sophmore and I have not had to visit my library as I can use my digital library. I use my software for personal study, academic studies, ministry studies, theology, history, language, apologetics, sermon prep, and recreational reading. My vyrso purchases I read in Logos software. My Logos wish list is growing and I do not remember everything on it.

And Rosie, I hit the five digits recently.

Posts 3164
Forum MVP
Dan DeVilder | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 29 2012 1:32 PM

just checking with everybody: "wish list" (I think) is a reference to the actual "wish list" that Logos has incorporated on their website. some people don't know about this still, it's pretty new.  If you don't know about it yet, might I suggest that the next time you take a strol through Logos' resources online, take some time to mark ones you like on your wishlist.  Smile

Posts 15769
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 29 2012 1:50 PM

Ud Laugh 2:

Rosie,

I am not shooting at you. You are great!!! God did a very good thing when he made you!!! I am almost half way to 5 digits myself.

Thank you, Ud. I didn't mean to put it out there as a point of competition. I've had 20 years to be accumulating Logos books, so spread out over that many years it's not really that much. But it also could be considered a negative: an addiction. I have very little self-discipline when it comes to buying books. Used to be with paper books I was limited to what I could carry in my arms out of the bookstore. But buying digital books with just a click of a button is so much easier and more dangerous to the bank account! Smile

Page 1 of 2 (32 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS