Platinum Base: Pros-or-Cons?

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 22
Richard Landon | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Mar 31 2012 9:23 AM

I am on the verge of getting Scholars Library Platinum to augment my studies in seminary.

Now if you were me, and you had about $2000 to spend on Logos, would you go this route?

Would you do something else given your experiences with the system?

Let me know if you think some other route would give the "biggest bang", so to speak.

You can assume I can deal with original languages, that I have a keen interest in biblical studies and biblical theology, and the history of church and its doctrine. 

Posts 178
DavidS | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 31 2012 9:28 AM

Platinum will certainly give you the most books for the money. If you want what books are in it then go for it. If there are books you want that are not in it then maybe Gold and purchase them. It all depends on what you want.

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 31 2012 9:45 AM

Ud Laugh 2:

Platinum will certainly give you the most books for the money. If you want what books are in it then go for it. If there are books you want that are not in it then maybe Gold and purchase them. It all depends on what you want.

I agree.  I went with the OL, and filled in the gaps with the books that I want and would use.  Spending $$$ on books that I would not use is simply wasting $$$.  A lot of people like to count and see how big their library is.  For me, size does not matter.  The content of the library is the most important thing for me.

Posts 611
Graham Owen | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 31 2012 9:49 AM

Richard Landon:
I am on the verge of getting Scholars Library Platinum to augment my studies in seminary.

I think the best answer to your question is in the required/recommended reading for your studies, if platinum contains enough books that you need then I'd say go ahead, if not it would make sense to use your funds to purchase items that are include.

Platinum is a great way to ensure you have a large library but big is not always better...

God Bless

Graham

Pastor - NTCOG Basingstoke

Posts 2477
Ronald Quick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 31 2012 10:35 AM

It's definitely wise to look at the resources in the platinum package to see if which ones you would use.  Then add up how much it would cost to purchase them individually and compare them to see what would be less expensive. 

Two important points:

1.  Contact a sales representative - sometimes they can get you a deal that is lower than the online price.

2.  I have also found some resources in the package I bought that I didn't expect to become favorites of mine.  I would have never discovered them if I had individually purchased only those resources I already knew I wanted.

Posts 19177
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 31 2012 10:37 AM

Ronald Quick:
1.  Contact a sales representative - sometimes they can get you a deal that is lower than the online price.

Also be sure to mention that it's for your seminary studies, or ask specifically to talk to someone in Academic Sales. If you've been accepted at seminary already, you probably qualify for the Academic pricing, which is a significant discount.

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 31 2012 10:54 AM

Richard Landon:

Now if you were me, and you had about $2000 to spend on Logos, would you go this route?

Would you do something else given your experiences with the system?

Let me know if you think some other route would give the "biggest bang", so to speak.

You can assume I can deal with original languages, that I have a keen interest in biblical studies and biblical theology, and the history of church and its doctrine. 

In addition to all the other fine advice (especially to talk with academic sales!), IMHO the Platinum base package gives a very good, well-rounded theological and ministry library. For the money, and what you get, I think it's the best package Logos sells.

As you look at the resources you want, consider what you'd want/need to add to your library, if you bought a lower package (if anything). Then search the Logos site for those resources and add up the cost of adding those resources to your library. If the cost of adding what you want/need is less than the cost difference between that package and the Platinum package, get the lesser package and add what you want. If buying the Platinum package is a better deal for what you want get that package. No doubt the Platinum package will also include stuff you don't think you'll need. Ignore that, and just go by cost.

If you're experience is like mine, you'll find that even some of the stuff you thought you'd never look at, you'll find helpful at some point--not all of it, but some of it...okay a little of it. But still, you've got a well-rounded library of stuff that you can use, not only in seminary, but in your ministry that follows.

I helped my son, who is also a sem student, by Platinum. The cost to him as an academic student was substantially lower than I would have paid, had I not upgraded from a similar package. I was happy to do it.

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 165
Wayne | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 31 2012 11:01 AM

There is occasional buzz about Logos 5 on the forum. When Logos has made significant changes in the program, they usually upgrade the libraries. We are 30 months past the last library makeover. I think that the next upgrade in the basic libraries will happen in the eighteen months, maybe even as early as this year  The last changeover happened just before the November theological society meetings. Logos likes to attend those meetings with something good to announce. I have no inside information, but my opinion is that if you can wait the deals will be better in the future. If you need the books now, go ahead and buy. You should get a good price to upgrade to the newer Platinum library when it comes out at some future point.

Posts 3733
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 31 2012 1:17 PM

Since I acquired my language tools independently of platinum, I don't know if they're included... you'll want to make sure the tools (language, etc.) you NEED are covered, then figure out what you have to spend...

Your seminary most likely will require BDAG and  BDB and/or  HALOT (I commend both to you). In addition, Liddell & Scott's Intermediate Greek Lexicon is also very helpful for better access to classical Greek, in the external literature.... If you already have those covered, then your next need will be a good critical/exegetical commentary for each book of the Bible. Here, you'll need your profs' inputs, as they will often require you to have a particular one... For exegetical/critical commentaries, if you're on a pastoral track ONE of these for each book is all you'll really need...

Once you you've covered your "have-to" tools, the biggest bang for the buck is Platinum... 

Grace & Peace,
Bill

MSI GF63 8RD, I-7 8850H, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 2TB HDD, NVIDIA GTX 1050Max
iPhone 12 Pro Max 512Gb
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Posts 8002
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 1 2012 8:59 PM

Cons: Does not have the Baker content it used to have (e.g. BECNT, Bakers NT Commentary, Baker Encyclopedia of Psychology, etc.).  This was a huge hit and I'm surprised Logos never said anything about replacing this GREAT content with some other descent content, such as Tyndale commentaries or at least Bible Application Commentary Bundle

Pros: It's still a good value for your money and you can fill in the gaps with whatever you want.  BDAG is included, Charles Simeon and other good works are included also.

Personally, I feel blessed to have upgraded during the time the Baker content was available, because that gave me the opportunity to custom build my library with other resources that in my opinion equal or better Portfolio.  Of course, there's more stuff I'd like to add, but now they are definitely out of my financial reach (e.g. NICOT/NICNT even though I think is over priced, and Nelson's Reference Bundle - which I thought I was going to get, but it turns out you don't get a discount for every Nelson title you own, but only WBC and Preacher's commentary volumes you might own.  That was a bummer...lol...but it's ok).

That's all folks!

DAL

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS