Essential IVP Refernce???

Page 1 of 2 (28 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 27 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 85
Armwood | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Apr 11 2012 11:15 AM

Not to take up alot of your time, But really was looking into buying the Essential ivp Reference. So for any person who has this Reference let me know if you like it and then do you use it every week? I have the  sholar and the nicot/nicnt, wbc, isbe,the becnt the KEIL/DELITZSCH Commentary  Some of these are papper. 

THANKS Yes 

Armwood

Posts 3894
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 11 2012 11:20 AM

Armwood:

Not to take up alot of your time, But really was looking into buying the Essential ivp Reference. So for any person who has this Reference let me know if you like it and then do you use it every week? I have the  sholar and the nicot/nicnt, wbc, isbe,the becnt the KEIL/DELITZSCH Commentary  Some of these are papper. 

THANKS Yes 

I do not use it every week, although when I was preparing sermons, i just about did, especially the Dictionary of Biblical Imagery.  I am forgetting what all comes in the bundle now, but I, and many here, consider it a must have set.  Totally legit.  quality.  useful.  The dictionaries are not like a "bible dictionary" but will deal with theology and themes and issues related to each particular genre they are addressing (gospels, epistles, etc).

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 1649
Room4more | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 11 2012 11:45 AM

Armwood:

THANKS Yes 

I have it but the resources are intermingeld within the others[L4] so without looking directly at what is in the package I could not say. But I doo remember getting it for some of the particular resources......

DISCLAIMER: What you do on YOUR computer is your doing.

Posts 88
Johann | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 11 2012 11:50 AM

I don't have the Logos bundle, but I have hardcopies of :

• Dictionary of Jesus and the Gospels
  • Dictionary of Paul and His Letters
  • Dictionary of the Later New Testament and Its Developments
  • Dictionary of New Testament Background

I wish I had the whole set in Logos. I think they are really good. Can't comment on the other title. I think I paid around $50/book, making this a really good deal. 

Posts 2279
Andy | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 11 2012 12:31 PM

Armwood:

I would say that this is one of my best buys in Logos. I use it every week, particularly when I am planning sermons.

The Dictionaries (Jesus and the Gospels, Paul and His Letters) are particularly indispensable. I find the articles to be conservative and yet scholarly and substantial.

I find that the IVP Dictionaries complement the AYBD (my other serious multivolume Bible Dictionary) in my studies.

I have posted a couple of screenshots from the article on The Holy Spirit from Jesus and the Gospels (I happened to have this article open). Let me know if further screenshots would prove helpful.

Andy

Posts 120
Steve Robinson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 11 2012 12:32 PM

Armwood:

THANKS Yes 

I don't use/read/reference anything in Logos "every week" other than my Bibles. However, when I'm studying some specific passage in the Bible, (which I do a lot), I use my commentaries and word study resources pretty heavily, but hardly ever any encyclopedias or dictionaries. That said, when I'm doing more of a topical study or teaching a class on a specific topic or concept in the New Testament, I've found the IVP Dictionary volumes invaluable. In the "Dictionary of Jesus and the Gospels," for example, both the breath and depth on different elements of Jesus' life and times, from Abba to Zion, is impressive. The coverage of broader topics, such as "Miracles and Miracle Stories" and "Gentiles" are broken out into multiple sub-sections and many of the broader topics take up enough pages of valuable content where I consider them essentially a helpful, informative "booklet" on that specific.

My 2 cents, if you are doing any degree of study on the topics, concepts and/or background (cultural practices) of New Testament times, these will make a great addition to your Logos library and you will use them often.

Steve R.

Posts 1358
Edwin Bowden | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 11 2012 2:46 PM

Armwood:

I agree with the many forum users over the years that recommend this collection as THE MUST HAVE addition to any Logos library. Highest quality, unique approach. I use something from this collection at least weekly.

Since the original collection, 2 OT Dictionaries in this series have also become available. I recommend them as well.

http://www.logos.com/product/4714/ivp-dictionary-of-the-old-testament-bundle

Another unique volume that is highly recommended is the Commentary on the NT Use of the OT. $59.95. I waited until I caught on a great sale.  

http://www.logos.com/product/5321/commentary-on-the-new-testament-use-of-the-old-testament

Posts 824
GregW | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 11 2012 3:14 PM

I would strongly recommend this collection as one of the best buys you can make.  I use the Bible Background commentaries a great deal, and the Dictionaries referred to above are also extremely useful.  I don't have AYBD, but do find the New Bible Dictionary in this collection very useful (although will probably get AYBD when it comes on sale at a price I can afford).  If you have only a basic base package, then this is one of the best things you can buy to beef up your library. I use one element or other of it every week in preparing preaching and teaching. 

Running Logos 6 Platinum and Logos Now on Surface Pro 4, 8 GB RAM, 256GB SSD, i5

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 11 2012 3:37 PM

From a user that has a different point of view:

I have the series and I only sometimes use it.  Why?

Dan DeVilder:
The dictionaries are not like a "bible dictionary" but will deal with theology and themes and issues related to each particular genre they are addressing (gospels, epistles, etc).
The theology found in this collection is not the same as mine.

Posts 982
David Carter | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 11 2012 3:38 PM

Just in case people aren't aware, the Essential IVP Reference Collection is currently on sale.

Posts 1739
Ken McGuire | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 11 2012 3:41 PM

Armwood:

THANKS Yes 

While I can't say that I use it every week, I must say that this is one of the more useful additional collections out there, and is a good deal $ wise too.  The "black" New Testament Dictionaries are top notch resources, and in addition you get one of the better one volume dictionaries and commentaries out there.  In addition you get the Bible Background commentaries that give good background information to help you interpret the text.

The Gospel is not ... a "new law," on the contrary, ... a "new life." - William Julius Mann

L8 Anglican, Lutheran and Orthodox Silver, Reformed Starter, Academic Essentials

L7 Lutheran Gold, Anglican Bronze

Posts 11126
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 11 2012 4:05 PM

Armwood:
was looking into buying the Essential ivp Reference. So for any person who has this Reference let me know if you like it and then do you use it every week?

Actually the IVP Essential Reference collection was the resource that brought me to Logos (... coming to think of it... would IVP offer me a lifetime free copy of everything they produce to avert me sueing them for causing my Logos-addiction? ) and I managed to be a Logosian for nearly nine months before buying a base package. 

If you pay attention to the screen shots in the thread you'll see that (whereas in most resources the blabla from every product site that in Logos every word is a link is somewhat far-fetched) the resources within that set are thoroughly cross-linked and serve as an in-depth glossary to all meaningful words, people, etc. So these are special.

You get a dozen dictionaries plus the Bible Background Commentaries and the New Bible Atlas (which is much more than just a couple of maps), not to mention "Hard Sayings" and the New Bible Commentary, the latter surely being less relevant in your already impressive library. 

Running Logos 9 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 7628
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 11 2012 5:58 PM

Johann:

I don't have the Logos bundle, but I have hardcopies of :

• Dictionary of Jesus and the Gospels
  • Dictionary of Paul and His Letters
  • Dictionary of the Later New Testament and Its Developments
  • Dictionary of New Testament Background

I wish I had the whole set in Logos. I think they are really good. Can't comment on the other title. I think I paid around $50/book, making this a really good deal. 

To the O.P. if you have the money get it! It's a great bundle of great resources!

To Johann: I hope you're not carrying those dictionaries around.  I finally got to see the hard copy version of those and they are pretty thick Big Smile Carrying those can be a good work out for your biceps Stick out tongue Great bundle and I can't wait for volume 2 where the other OT along with other pocket dictionaries will be made available.  

Blessings!

DAL

Posts 312
Bruce Roth | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 11 2012 6:27 PM

Have to agree.  This was the collection that started the ball rolling down the slippery slope of emptying my wallet on all the other Logos deals.  I picked the CD up many years ago at an InterVarsity Camp bookstore.  Was interested in the books, and of course it came loaded with this Bible software called Logos.  The rest is history. 

Posts 77
Cliff Stumpf | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 11 2012 10:05 PM

This was one of my best buys from Logos.  This is alot of resources at a good price.  I highly reccomend it.

Posts 19045
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 11 2012 10:37 PM

DAL:
Great bundle and I can't wait for volume 2 where the other OT along with other pocket dictionaries will be made available.  

Some of the OT ones are available already in the IVP Dictionary of the Old Testament Bundle (but not the complete set yet; not available yet are Prophets and Wisdom, Poetry & Writings). But the price is nowhere near as good as the Essential IVP Reference which has all the NT ones and much, much more!

I concur with all the previous posters. This is probably the most useful bundle I've ever purchased from Logos, and the best bang for your buck outside of base packages. I love the Dictionary of Biblical Imagery, and it's the first place I go when I'm looking for inspiration.

Posts 88
Johann | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 11 2012 11:18 PM

Edwin Bowden:
Another unique volume that is highly recommended is the Commentary on the NT Use of the OT. $59.95.

Agreed. I would recommend this as a weekly resource, too. If there is some quote or allusion to OT in a NT text, this is very helpful. 

DAL:
To Johann: I hope you're not carrying those dictionaries around.  I finally got to see the hard copy version of those and they are pretty thick Big SmileCarrying those can be a good work out for your biceps Stick out tongue

Just from my bookshelf to my desk, I would definitely use it more if I had it in Logos. The physical size of the hard copy is massive. 

Posts 2854
Mike Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 12 2012 7:40 AM

Armwood:

THANKS Yes 

Yes, I very much like the various IVP Dictionaries - top evangelical scholarship.  And yes, I use them frequently, almost every week.  In fact, I would trust its dictionaries above all others, and I have some other good ones like Anchor Yale Bible Dictionary.  I think it would complement the resources that you have very well.  And it is a very reasonably priced set of resources for what you get.

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 1649
Room4more | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 12 2012 7:52 AM

Armwood:

THANKS Yes 

Armwood,

I will take this opportunity to clarify what I stated earlier. In that, since they are integrated with the other L4 resources, after having a look-see at the resources listed for the package, I may be using them and not realize it, especially when I do a random search of my library. They may show up in the results[hits] and I just do not pay that much attention to which package they were original installed as[from], since I have got many over the years……

Hope this helps to clarify.

DISCLAIMER: What you do on YOUR computer is your doing.

Posts 2401
Ronald Quick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 14 2012 7:19 PM

A few questions:

Is the sale price a good price?

Any idea how long this sale will be going on?

Page 1 of 2 (28 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS