New Greek pre-pubs

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 1649
Room4more | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 11 2012 8:54 PM

Thanks rosie, but at the moment I am looking at the  Sophocles set.....

DISCLAIMER: What you do on YOUR computer is your doing.

Posts 18668
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 11 2012 9:08 PM

Room4more:

Thanks rosie, but at the moment I am looking at the  Sophocles set.....

I wasn't offering anything for people to thank me about. I've never heard of these and was asking if anyone knew them and would recommend them. Normally I jump at most things in pre-pub but I'm pretty loaded up with Greek textbooks already and haven't yet dug in to start studying Greek, so I will probably pass on these, unless someone says they are a must have. I have already bid on the Sophocles set because they're cheap in CP. Still probably won't end up using them, but you never know...

Posts 277
Mark Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 11 2012 9:33 PM

Greek is great gain is by William Larkin (the author of the IVPNTC on Acts).  He has taught Greek for years and has  a very good system for using practically using Greek from week to week in sermon development.  I have the book in paper and pre-ordered it.  It will be good to have it in digial format.

Posts 2736
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 12 2012 12:24 AM

Mark Johnson:

Greek is great gain is by William Larkin (the author of the IVPNTC on Acts).  He has taught Greek for years and has  a very good system for using practically using Greek from week to week in sermon development.  I have the book in paper and pre-ordered it.  It will be good to have it in digial format.

Thank you. Your recommendation helped me to decide. Actually I would need some good and practical book of this kind. I am glad it is in the pre-pub. Yes

Bohuslav

Posts 146
Joe Mayden | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 12 2012 7:57 AM

Both of these authors were my profs in seminary. 

Bill Larkin is a scholar who provides a system of study in "Greek is Great Gain" who provides a method of study that will equip any person wanting prepare great lesson or sermons from the original Greek.  My strengths are more people oriented rather than scholarly.  Larkin enables me to overcome my weaknesses by giving me an of study that starts at the surface of a passage and then dig and dig and dig.  You own the passage when you are done.  A personal note about Dr. Larkin.  He is a scholar who is passionate for his students, he wants them to be the best they can be and he personally takes responsibility for giving them all of him when he teaches.  I remember one day he came to class and wasn't up to his usual standard.  At the end of the class, he apologized to the class for being sick and not giving them the best.  In an academic environment this scholar continually modeled humility and servant hood.  I was taught a great deal more than Greek by this man.

Posts 846
Eric Weiss | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 12 2012 8:15 AM

Greek is Good Grief is perhaps the first book I've ever seen that, in teaching the so-called "Erasmian" system of pronunciation, says that υ (upsilon) is pronounced like the "u" in "cute" (see the third page in the Sample Pages from the Print Edition http://www.logos.com/product/18528/greek-is-good-grief-laying-the-foundation-for-exegesis-and-exposition)

So that means you would pronounce υπερ as "hyooPER," etc.? Stick out tongue I.e., he (inadvertantly?) seems to be suggesting that the pronunciation of υ is the same as what he says should be the pronunciation of ευ rather than the way he says ου should be pronounced (like "soup"). IIRC, I've usually seen Erasmian suggesting the "u" in "flute" or "put" (or the "oo" in "boot") as the way to pronounce υ.

(Full Disclosure: I'm a Buthian when it comes to the pronunciation of Koinê Greek http://www.biblicallanguagecenter.com/koine-greek-pronunciation/.)

Optimistically Egalitarian (Galatians 3:28)

Posts 178
DavidS | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 12 2012 8:31 AM

Rosie Perera:

Rosie, Thanks for pointing these out the one above looks good to me. I will be getting this one.

Ud Laugh2 if you saw what Jesus sees about our future!

Posts 484
Michael Kinch | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 11 2012 3:15 PM

Thanks Rosie for the heads up.  Greek is Great Gain ships tomorrow.  After reading the responses to your post I have ordered it as well.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS