BUG: Search Results for the Thai Bible are Incorrect

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 103
Simon | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Apr 11 2012 7:43 PM

Just wondering if anyone has observed the following?

A search for "อาโรน" (Aaron) in the entire Thai Bible returns 273 hits.

The same search for "Aaron" in the ESV bible returns 355 hits.

For the Thai search the reference to Aaron in Leviticus 13:1 is not included in the search results. The reference in v2 is included and highlighted correctly in the Thai bible search.

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 12 2012 1:44 PM

S Mack:
Just wondering if anyone has observed the following?

I suspect that the number of people here that both have a Thai Bible and are capable of reading it is very small, so probably not. Smile

All I can do is try a shot in the dark, based on what's usually the problem in these cases:

1) Is Thai a language that inflects proper nouns?

2) Do you have Match All Word Forms checked?

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 3176
LogosEmployee
Thomas Ball | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 12 2012 3:40 PM

I can repeat the behavior regardless of whether or not "Match word form", "Match case", or nothing are selected. There is even a difference between พระคริสตธรรมคัมภีร์ and the Thai Standard Bible. I'll look into this to see if there is a bug or something else going on here. 

Posts 103
Simon | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 14 2012 6:59 AM

Thank you for the feedback.

Posts 103
Simon | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 26 2012 7:31 PM

What gives?

Setting a visual filter for "ยอห์น" (John) highlights occurrences of said word in the Thai bible but in Acts 4:6 the occurrence of said word is NOT highlighted!!! Setting "Match All Word Forms" has no effect! Subsequent occurrences of said word appear to be highlighted correctly.

Posts 67
Scott Groethe | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 4 2012 1:33 PM

SMack and others: I work in Thailand and don't know the reason. To the Logos people through I will say Thai has no inflection (as do few Asian languages) I did this test, ran the search on Thai and ESV, results as Smack said.

The first discrepancy was Exo 4.27 and 4.28. The ESV had both Thai just 4.28. Thought I would highlight and then search from the 4.27 occurrence - I work in another Tai family language and sometimes we key in a word differently (by error) but it looks the same on screen. The only way you can tell it's keyed in wrong is when you start forward or backward deleting the letters, they "come off" differenty due to the rendering that makes orbiting vowels and the like possible, and the challenge of putting material/vowels above and below the baseline.

With that in mind, highlighted 'Aaron' in Exo 4.27 ran the results, same 273 hits, and it didn't even include the very 'Aaron' in 4.27 that was highlighted. So I'm pretty sure that rules out the "keyed in differently" possibility. Still working in Exo 4.27, when I highlighted the word previous to 'Aaron' (kap = with) and 'Aaron' 4.27 was not a hit in the search results, but when I highlighted 'Aaron' plus the word following (waa = say) the results DID include 4.27 That's puzzling. Maybe SIL people would know the reason.

Posts 3176
LogosEmployee
Thomas Ball | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 5 2012 11:25 AM

SMack:

What gives?

Setting a visual filter for "ยอห์น" (John) highlights occurrences of said word in the Thai bible but in Acts 4:6 the occurrence of said word is NOT highlighted!!! Setting "Match All Word Forms" has no effect! Subsequent occurrences of said word appear to be highlighted correctly.

Hi Smack

Can you post a screen of where the highlight should appear in 4:6? Highlight the word specifically?

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS