? Runge's works

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 85
Armwood | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Apr 17 2012 7:27 AM

Steve Runge works.  What if any of his work do you have? PLEASE feel free to tell the  PRO  @  CON that you may have of his works.

Armwood

Posts 23600
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 17 2012 7:35 AM

Hi Armwood

You might find the discussion on his High Def Commentary on Philippians at http://community.logos.com/forums/t/32366.aspx useful.

Graham

Posts 85
Armwood | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 17 2012 8:01 AM

Thanks Graham,  That was very useful.Yes

Armwood

Posts 249
Giovanni Baggio | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 18 2012 5:26 PM

Pro: Nice graphics

Con: A bit over priced. I bet when the series is done (if it ever gets done) it'll prolly cost more than NICOT/NICNT.

Take it or leave it.

Giovanni

Ps. I'm in a good mood today so no sarcasm on this post.

Posts 19045
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 18 2012 6:55 PM

Giovanni Baggio:

Ps. I'm in a good mood today so no sarcasm on this post.

Will wonders never cease? Smile Nice to see you do have a non-biting side to you, too. And I'm sorry to hear that most of the time you're not in a good mood. Praying for more joy and positive moods to come your way.

Anyway, thanks for your helpful post. I agree, the High Def commentaries (of which Philippians is the only one released so far) are overpriced for pretty but IMHO simplistic graphics. Frankly I don't think the graphics contribute anything. I mean, seriously, does this graphic help you understand what part of the sentence "this same thing" is referring to in Phil 1:6? No, I thought not.

And $64.95 for a pre-pub price for one 175p volume (Romans)? Yikes! That's more than 30% higher than the shipped price of any volume of one of the more expensive commentary series: WBC, and all of those are like two or three times the page count. The Philippians one was only $19.95 in pre-pub, and is only $24.95 now that it's shipped. I wonder why Romans is so much more expensive? The book of Romans is four times as long, but still... most commentary sets normalize the variation between their volume prices a bit more than that, if not completely. In WBC they're all the same regardless of length. In NAC they vary from $19.99 to $29.99 with only one as expensive as $32.99 and even that is a lot closer than $19.95 to $64.95 (or $24.99 to whatever Romans is going to sell for after it gets out of pre-pub)!

That said, the concept of discourse grammar is useful, and Steve's writing style is clear and easy to understand, and this commentary and his Discourse Grammar of the Greek New Testament: A Practical Introduction for Teaching and Exegesis are worth having.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS