Bug: Selecting text with a mouse is one-way only: down.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 106
Bruce Fraser | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Apr 17 2012 9:02 AM

This post is about selecting a block of text which extends beyond the window.

The standard procedure to select text is left-click-and-hold the mouse at one end of the text, then scroll to the other end of the text and release the mouse button. The text is now selected. One can do this going either up or down.

You can even extend the selection beyond what appears in the window, by holding the mouse cursor outside the window; the screen scrolls the text, with the selection continuing uninterrupted. The scrolling often happens quite quickly, so when one reaches the end point, one might have to go back a few words or lines. That works fine...

... as long as one is scrolling down. If one begins at the end of the desired text, scrolls up beyond the window, and then jiggles the mouse back and forth a bit, the entire selection is lost.

I have attached a screen video recording showing this.

Posts 1649
Room4more | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 17 2012 9:57 AM

This may help in the usage of the mouse scroll and L4:

hold firmly on the mouse, for some reason I can not get the jing video to load.....I did it up and down...

Video

DISCLAIMER: What you do on YOUR computer is your doing.

Posts 11642
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 17 2012 10:12 AM

Bruce Fraser:
If one begins at the end of the desired text, scrolls up beyond the window, and then jiggles the mouse back and forth a bit, the entire selection is lost.

I can't replicate this on my system - works perfect. Win 7 Home, 32 bit with a cordless mouse. 

EDIT: works for me exactly as in Room's video. No issues.

Running Logos 9 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 3578
steve clark | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 17 2012 10:31 AM

Hi Bruce,

Another alternative way to select text is shown below:

1. Click on the starting location of text that you want to select.
EDIT: you need to release the mouse button after you click where you want to start!

2. Scroll with your mouse or use the vertical scrollbar to position your text where you can see where the end of your selected text should be. Then hold the Shift key down and click on where you want the end of the selected text to be placed. (note: don't click between step 1 until you click for this step).

QLinks, Bibl2, LLR, Macros
Dell Insp 17-5748, i5, 1.7 GHz, 8G RAM, win 8.1

Posts 3187
LogosEmployee
Thomas Ball | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 17 2012 10:39 AM

NB.Mick:

Bruce Fraser:
If one begins at the end of the desired text, scrolls up beyond the window, and then jiggles the mouse back and forth a bit, the entire selection is lost.

I can't replicate this on my system - works perfect. Win 7 Home, 32 bit with a cordless mouse. 

EDIT: works for me exactly as in Room's video. No issues.

I also am unable to  reproduce the behavior demonstrated in the video. It almost looks like the mouse is being depressed at one point, and then clicked again--thus losing the selection. Are you using a mouse or a track pad? Does this happen with all books or selected ones? Can you capture a log of the behavior as well? Logos 4 Diagnostic Logging - Logos Bible Software

Posts 106
Bruce Fraser | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 17 2012 3:00 PM

I've done a bit more testing.

1) It appears to happen only with Bibles. Of course I didn't test all the books in my library, but the few that I tested work fine.

2) I DID test all of the Bibles in my library. Most of them work fine. I was able to reproduce the problem consistently in these:
* NLT
* NASB 95
* The Message

3) I just got back in the study. Haven't had time yet to produce the log. Will do that later.

4) I am holding the mouse button down firmly throughout the entire action. Still happens.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS