No New News Is NO News - Home Page Repetitions

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
This post has 11 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 54
Tommy Miller | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Nov 14 2009 4:03 PM

The Home Page, while a radical change, isn't altogether bad. It certainly serves its purpose (mostly) of introducing (or reintroducing) us to the content of our library.  However, the "Newspaper" effect loses its punch after a few days of seeing the same blogs and articles repeated. Imagine getting your local paper only to discover that they had run the same three news stories on the front page for two weeks straight. While there is new content on the Home Page each day, or with a refresh (F5), there is also a preponderance of repetition. As an example, I read the "Interview with Logos 4 Beta Tester Thomas Black" on day one of install. Now, on Logos Date: Install +9, 2009, I am still reading the interview! (No offense to our favorite Beta Tester.) Wink

How about a way to mark an article as "Read" to avoid the repetition (useless clutter)? For the Home Page to be an effective daily "paper," it needs to stay fresh.

Core i7-2630QM CPU 2.00 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 64-Bit Windows 7 Professional SP1

Posts 1717
LogosEmployee
Bob Pritchett | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 14 2009 7:34 PM

The point was to let things "fade away" over time, so that if you want to go back to something you saw earlier, it's likely still around for a bit. The newest stuff should always appear first.

We could do a "read" indicator, which would delete it, but then there'd be no way to retrieve it if you clicked that accidentally, without creating more UI, or supporting Undo. We were just going for the simplest thing... but can revisit this if others agree it's annoying...

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 15 2009 9:38 AM

I don't think it's annoying....I read an article..do some study...pick another one the next day...

The pace seems fine to me....

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Posts 2744
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 15 2009 10:28 AM

Bob Pritchett:
We were just going for the simplest thing... but can revisit this if others agree it's annoying...

It's OK with me. I like especially the excerpts from my resources (wow, I really have that?). For blog articles, I read them on the blog first. so I expect them not to be new for me. I have no problem with that. I like pictures very much. Also the devotionals. It is customizable now so it's great. I think we have much more urgent addins to add to Logos than re-doing the Home Page. Having back PBBs is much more urgent. Thanks for working on all that things. You do excellent job. God bless you.

Bohuslav

Posts 2817
Forum MVP
Ted Hans | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 15 2009 10:35 AM

Bob Pritchett:
We were just going for the simplest thing... but can revisit this if others agree it's annoying...

Its also okay with me. I like you reasoning on this & would prefer you concentrated you energies elsewhere.

Ted

Dell, studio XPS 7100, Ram 8GB, 64 - bit Operating System, AMD Phenom(mt) IIX6 1055T Processor 2.80 GHZ

Posts 3914
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 15 2009 11:47 AM

hmmm.  I understand the fade away principle, and I also have seen TB enough, too.  :)

BUT, I am wondering: how about adding BSM material in the homepage for those who are subscribers to the magazine.  I'd like that.

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 8660
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 15 2009 2:17 PM

Bob Pritchett:
The point was to let things "fade away" over time
Except that this morning "Welcome to Logos 4" is back at the top of the home page on my system.  That should have faded away a long time ago for me.

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 54
Tommy Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 16 2009 9:36 AM

Mr. Pritchett, Thank You for your involvement in these forums. I DO like the Home Page concept and am grateful for the vision you and the Logos team had for L4. While I would prefer a little more control over the Home Page, I definitely agree with the others when they say There are more important fixes to concentrate on at this time. I wholeheartedly agree that minor tweaks to user preferences should take a back seat to crucial issues, like the periodic lockups and the speed problems that many of us are still experiencing.

Thank You again for your efforts and the hard work of the entire team!

Core i7-2630QM CPU 2.00 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 64-Bit Windows 7 Professional SP1

Posts 5
Gary Ray | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 19 2009 10:49 AM

I really like the new home page this whole feature is a great idea! However, I have to say that I would really like a "read" Indicator to make the blog and news articles and messages go away when I am done with them. I can always go to the website if I want to see a blog or news item again. Not worried about not seeing a message again, I am a big boy, I know when I am finished with something. 

Posts 188
Kevin Taylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 19 2009 11:10 AM

I would agree that user controls are always better than not having them.  I enjoy the Home Page but an option to count something as read if I so chose would be great.  The fade away approach is wonderful but it would be a nice minor upgrade to allow something to "pass on" if the individual user decides he/she has seen enough of it.

Logos 5, Windows & Android perfect together....

Posts 23
James K Brackett | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 12 2010 11:00 PM

YES please do an "read" (past tense) feature so that you can clear out some of the clutter. Somethings interest me, I would like the chance to look at things, but then manually remove what doesn't interest me.   This is pretty standard. It would be more like the old pop up window.  If someone is looking for an old article how hard would it be to create a searchable archive on the website?

Thanks

Posts 134
Esther Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 13 2010 4:51 AM

I want to vote for a "read" indicator, but...

I also want to vote for keeping good priorities in tweaking the program.  Kudos to Bob P. and everyone who is working on the L4 project...thank you so much for all you're doing.

I love the home page.

Constant repetition of the articles is a mild annoyance.  When all other more important tweaks have been accomplished, you might look into this one.

Esther Jones

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS