2004 Good News Translation 3rd Edition UK-English

Page 2 of 3 (53 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 52 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 100
N/A | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 27 2014 7:33 AM

Logos, please consider offering this 66-book Bible Edition (the 2004 Good News Translation 3rd Edition UK English), based on what I cite here posted by a Shrewsbury:

John Shrewsbury Newbie
44 Gender: Male Faith: Anglican Party: UK-Conservative Country: United Kingdom

"The Good News Translation is the most popular Bible translation in the UK and is widely used in schools (it used to be the New English Bible which is what I remember, but in the 1980s the GNB took over). It is a good translation, and (imo) is wrongly thought of as a paraphrase - it isn't.
Source: http://www.christianforums.com/t7800266-post64916416/#post64916416 "!

L2 Catholic new; Used: ODCC L5 Reformed Silver L6 Full Crossgrade; L6 Chinese Bronze new; L6 Ancient Literature Feature Expansion Collection (25 vols.) new, no dynamic pricing. Before packs had 100 books incl. AYBRL new

Posts 100
N/A | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 18 2014 10:01 AM

Please see also this post from yesterday, by:
hedrick Senior Veteran

64 Gender: Male Faith: Presbyterian Country: United States
http://www.christianforums.com/t7802759-5/#post65622209
hedrick is a very intelligent man. He's working as a manager - Java programming. His favourite English Bible version is the NRSV. He has been teaching from the Good News Translation.

L2 Catholic new; Used: ODCC L5 Reformed Silver L6 Full Crossgrade; L6 Chinese Bronze new; L6 Ancient Literature Feature Expansion Collection (25 vols.) new, no dynamic pricing. Before packs had 100 books incl. AYBRL new

Posts 5253
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 18 2014 5:41 PM

I hardly agree this is a translation I would love to have in Logos. This is an important translation, and Logos really needs to have an edition with the Deutro-canon with Verbum, Anglican  and Orthodox packages being added.

-Dan

Posts 100
N/A | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 18 2014 9:54 PM

Doesn't prioritizing other versions for the Deuterocanonicals solve that? For example REB, or perhaps NRSV?:

Dan Francis:
Logos really needs to have an edition with the Deutro-canon with Verbum, Anglican  and Orthodox packages being added

Posts 27034
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 18 2014 10:35 PM

NÖ:
Doesn't prioritizing other versions for the Deuterocanonicals solve that?

No, Logos should offer every translation in the broadest canon available - usually the Slavic Orthodox canon in modern translations. One can ignore books you don't consider canonical; you can't read books that are not there. I suspect that the extreme slowness of releasing the Lutheran Apocrypha Study Bible is a direct result of Logos ignoring this obvious (to me) principle.

BTW I have discovered from the Psalms of Solomon that prioritization of version brings other issues with it.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 5253
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 18 2014 11:02 PM

NÖ:

Doesn't prioritizing other versions for the Deuterocanonicals solve that? For example REB, or perhaps NRSV?:

Dan Francis:
Logos really needs to have an edition with the Deutro-canon with Verbum, Anglican  and Orthodox packages being added

Well yes and no... I usually like a literal translation like the NRSV then a more dynamic translation like the NJB/REB/NIV and then a much freer translation like the Message, GNB, New Living Bible. The trouble is the later is missing in the Deuterocanonicals (now the NLT and GNB do have them, but not in Logos).... Another good option for this would be the Christian Community Bible but no indication that that is coming to logos either.

-Dan

PS:I am aware that the Catholic NLT reference Bible has no officially approval from the Catholic church but that really is not a big deal to me.

Posts 2038
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 18 2014 11:04 PM

MJ. and Dan, I think most people only care for the newest Editions/versions. Whether Logos chooses to digitise a Bible seems to depend on the number of (potential) users, not how they can be used. I'm not trying to be rude here, just trying to say how I guess how it works.

True, several Churches with about a hundred million faithful or more use a broader canon than 66 books, but on the other hand many of the individuals only use parts of the Bible intensely.

It would also cost proportionally more to produce a broader canon Bible than 66 books.

Aply!
trulyergonomic.com 6,200own
12G A9-9420 V8.6 Acc 11
d:'13Q3 12G

Posts 27034
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 18 2014 11:56 PM

Unix:
several Churches with about a hundred million faithful or more use a broader canon than 66 books,

To be a bit more precise, nearly 80% of Christians world wide use a broader canon. I doubt very much that the cost increase would be portional - many costs would be fixed per resource. Are you aware that the Book of Common Prayer of 1979 contains 230 references to the broader canon? In fact the Catholic Missal contains references to a canon broader than the Catholic canon.

Unix:
on the other hand many of the individuals only use parts of the Bible intensely.

Not among those using a lectionary unless they are academics.  Besides using parts doesn't imply that those parts are in the 66 books.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 2038
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 19 2014 3:23 AM

MJ., why do You want a broader canon of this specific version, the Good News Translation, not the similar The Contemporary English Version (CEV), is it because the latter has more simplified language?

Aply!
12G A9-9420 V8.6 Acc 11

Posts 27034
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 19 2014 12:41 PM

Whether or not or why I want a particular translation is irrelevant - I argue for what I believe is best for Logos and its users. In the long run, a strong Logos serving a broad base of users is in my best interests.

However, I do try to have the broadest base of Bibles I can afford with an emphasis on translations permitted for use within liturgical churches, including those specifically for children.

Posts 5253
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 19 2014 12:53 PM

I personally want every translation that has fully cannon in Logos.. For example the Lutheran Translation God's Word for the Nations has them but no one has it in an electronic edition.

-Dan

CEV, GWN, GNB, NLT, ESV are all ones I would like to have in Logos.

Posts 2038
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 19 2014 1:08 PM

In other words neither of You are decisive which version You want to see first?

Aply!
12G A9-9420 V8.6 Acc 11

Posts 27034
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 19 2014 1:10 PM

Unix:
I think most people only care for the newest Editions/versions.

Given the number of people wanting NIV84 not the newest translation and given the continued liturgical use of the JB not the NJB and the RSV not the NRSV, I find your assumption doubtful.

Posts 2038
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 19 2014 1:17 PM

I agree that the RSV is among the very best versions. I've used the JB too - I have one print copy (Bible In Order) and an 8-translation parallel New Testament where it's included. But I haven't yet noticed as much difference between the 2004 and the 1994 Good News Translation Editions, as between the NRSV and RSV and not even as much difference as between the NJB and JB.

Aply!
12G A9-9420 V8.6 Acc 11

Posts 27034
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 19 2014 1:20 PM

Unix:
In other words neither of You are decisive which version You want to see first?

See first as produced by Logos or see first in the application?

Produced by Logos - the complete ESV because the Lutheran Study Bible Apocrypha volume depends upon it and the CEV because the children's lectionary is based on it.

In the application itself, I frequently change the sequence of my top priority Bibles using NRSV, NABRE or JPS depending upon the task. For reading, as opposed to study, I favor the Community Bible (not in Logos) and JB. For teaching, I review NABRE, NIV, ESV, RSV and NRSV plus anything else I know the students are apt to bring to class. Most teachers I know carry a 4 or 8 translation parallel Bible to class.

Posts 2038
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 19 2014 1:26 PM

Sounds great! Additionally I have an 8-translation parallel Deuterocanonicals with recent translation - missing the CEB and ESV - I have the CEB Apocrypha separately. I don't like the ESV (I have no physical copies) and was aware of the Lutheran Study Bible Apocrypha but didn't want it on pre-pub.

Aply!
12G A9-9420 V8.6 Acc 11

Posts 5253
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 19 2014 1:28 PM

ESV is what I would most want (to accompany  the soon to be released Lutheran Study Apocrypha), Comunnity Bible for it notes and translation would be next for me, the GWN, then GNB, I would almost place NLT above GNB, but it would be a big project I think because the copy with it was one of the older releases which might mean to offer it they would want to have the entire release of that edition. The ESV might be difficult because Oxford holds the copyright on it, indeed for all I know it might be what is holding up the LSA release.

-Dan

Posts 5253
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 19 2014 1:31 PM

Unix:
I don't like the ESV

I have mixed feelings about it. It is simply the RSV with archaic language removed and evangelical preferred translations put in place. It is an ok translation in my mind but not my first choice.

-Dan

Posts 2038
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 19 2014 1:42 PM

These new versions, ESV and NLT apocrypha are so complex/complicated compositions with the differing Editions and copyrights, to the degree that I really don't understand if there's any point in Logos trying and customers asking for them. This can only get worse. Soon people will be asking for modified "ESV-CE". This never ends and gets more and more complex almost every year.

So I really do believe the costs for broader canon Bibles are proportional.

Aply!
12G A9-9420 V8.6 Acc 11

Posts 5253
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 19 2014 1:49 PM

Unix:
Soon people will be asking for modified "ESV-CE"

Logos already has that in effect. The Ignatius Bible: Revised Standard Version, Second Catholic Edition 

• Revised Standard Version, Second Catholic Edition, with minor revisions to some of the archaic language used in the first edition. This revised version is a contemporary English translation without dumbing-down the text. This second edition of the RSV maintains a strongly conservative approach to translation, and it retains the beauty of the RSV language that has made it such a joy to read and reflect on the Word of God. Now, the only Catholic edition Bible in standard English is even more beautiful in your own customizable Logos format!

-dan

Page 2 of 3 (53 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS