Passage guide omissions

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 30196
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Aug 3 2009 1:27 PM

1) Is there a way through which we can add to the cross reference and biblical people sections?  There are some of us out here that know the deuterocanonical books exist.

2) SermonCentral.com and PowerPointSermons.com are not much use to me. However, I would love to have The Text This Week linked in. I have added it to the tool bar but that is not the same thing. I would expect that there is a similar site for the Jewish readings.

Note: does anyone other than myself consider it odd that this is not linked to the Logos Sermons?

3) Is there a file format that I could use to populate music? I have a database of several hundred hymnals from which I could extract data.

4) I would like to see a section pulled from the lectionaries that showed where the selected passage is used.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 3717
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 3 2009 3:47 PM

MJ. Smith:
I have a database of several hundred hymnals from which I could extract data.

Hi MJ,

Would you say a bit more about this database? Is it available somewhere?

THANKS!

Grace & Peace,
Bill

MSI GF63 8RD, I-7 8850H, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 2TB HDD, NVIDIA GTX 1050Max
Samsung S9+, 64GB
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Posts 30196
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 3 2009 7:43 PM

Bill Stonebraker:
Would you say a bit more about this database? Is it available somewhere?

Nearly a decade ago I had started an online American hymn search service on the web. My interest was in finding hymns and gospel songs that people remembered from their youth or their grandparents etc.

There is a long story - parental health, data entry person incompetence, intent to switch to new technology, etc. - as to why I took the site down about a year ago. I have been migrating the data to an eXist XML database as a background project from an Access database. And the data entry person who seriously needs the money is still working on the initial, unlinked hymnal indexes.

The initial data was biased towards the Singspiration/Convention Gospel/Special minstries material; more recently, I have been emphasizing the major denominational hymnals as they are a bit more predictable for data entry. The material is indexed by composer, author, tune name, first line, scriptural citation etc. I do intend to re-establish the site but I have a couple of projects I want to have firmly established first ... make my mistakes where it will be easy to fix.

The index of hymnals begining with "A" is representative of the material indexed:

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 3717
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 4 2009 8:41 PM

Thanks Martha,

Many blessings to you! Thanks for all you do for us!

Bill

Grace & Peace,
Bill

MSI GF63 8RD, I-7 8850H, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 2TB HDD, NVIDIA GTX 1050Max
Samsung S9+, 64GB
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Posts 6685
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 4 2009 8:54 PM

Good idea. Wish we could get the songs from the hymnal tied in with Libronix.

Lynden Williams Communications https://www.lyndenwilliams.net 

Posts 19055
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 16 2009 4:48 AM

This resource looks awesome! It looks like a good complement to the CyberHymnal (http://hymntime.com/tch/; note NOT cyberhymnal.org anymore; someone else hijacked their domain name and stole their content and put ads on it to make money, but the original has moved to a new site and continues as a free resource)

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS