Updating Resource Links?

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 1966
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Apr 27 2012 3:15 PM

Just out of curiousity, is it a priority at Logos to go back and update links from older resources when newer resources come out.  For example, let's say that a book is released today that references a commentary or resource that is not created for Logos for another year.  Does Logos make it a priority to update those links from time to time so that they will keep up with all of the cross references to newer resources throughout their software? 

I guess I would have to ask if they even try to make sure that all currently available resources are cross-linked when a new resource is created.  I assume this to be the case, but sometimes I see references that are not linked to their references, say a revelation commentary reference linking to another revelation commentary, but I don't think that I have paid attention to whether the referenced commentary is newer, and therefore had not been updated in the older commentary.

Just curious to know if this is a priority or if a resource is finished when it is published (with the exception of typo updates and such).

Examples:  The Dead Sea Scrolls volumes that will be coming out would have a lot of cross references in many of the previous resources, so you would hope that those would be linked through updates or however.

It even seems that they could have a "place-holder" link for every potential reference in a resource when it is created.  That way, if the linked resource ever comes to be available, then that link could be utilized. 

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 10519
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 27 2012 3:31 PM

Joseph Turner:
Just out of curiousity, is it a priority at Logos to go back and update links from older resources when newer resources come out.

That probably depends upon the resource—How important are those resources to effective Bible study. Different resources probably have different priorities.

EDIT: that should be How important does Logos think these resources are to effective Bible study. That may or may not match your priorities Geeked

Joseph Turner:
sometimes I see references that are not linked to their references

Report those missing links as typos to make sure Logos notices them. That way, they should eventually get fixed.

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 27 2012 3:42 PM

They've (slowly) been working their way through the most important reference works like AYBD and BDAG, while also creating scripts to facilitate the job. Once they're finished with all these very thick and very heavily linked resources, they should be able to move a bit faster. 

Joseph Turner:
It even seems that they could have a "place-holder" link for every potential reference in a resource when it is created. 

I believe I've read somewhere that they're doing that these days. 

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 3809
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 27 2012 3:43 PM

They have gone back and updated select resources in the past. However to do this with all their resources, even if they were pre-tagged, would be a very difficult and resource intensive task to keep up with. I'm trying to picture how much one person sitting at a desk could accomplish in one day. When I compare that to how many new links would be added to the Que, times 10,000 resources, plus adding peer review to the process...You would need a lot of those "one guy at a desk"'s to come close to keeping up with it.

Posts 18651
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 27 2012 4:06 PM

They prioritize the resources based on how many users own them. A popular resource like AYBD is going to get typos and links fixed faster than some obscure title in the JSOTS series that has only as many users as it took to push it through pre-pub (and nobody has wanted to buy it since because it's so expensive now!).

Posts 3
Jannie van Niekerk | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 27 2012 4:48 PM

Joseph Turner:
Just out of curiousity, is it a priority at Logos to go back and update links from older resources when newer resources come out.  For example, let's say that a book is released today that references a commentary or resource that is not created for Logos for another year.  Does Logos make it a priority to update those links from time to time so that they will keep up with all of the cross references to newer resources throughout their software? 

Yes. Right now, the whole of the Portfolio base package, plus some extra resources (~1500 resource), are in an update cycle. As you can image, the end of this cycle is still a couple of months away, but its at least already in progress. Keep in mind the Portfolio collection contains basically all the other base packages, so for users owning, say, the Bible Study Library, they will get updates too.

For non-base package resources, we fall back on mainly popularity and typos. Example, the WBC set will go into an update cycle very soon, since some of the volumes has lots of typos, and its one of our more popular sets. The goal is to revisit most if not all of the resources we know has issues, likes typos, and other bug reports.

Hopes this helps!

Posts 2277
Andy | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 28 2012 1:06 AM

Jannie van Niekerk:
Yes. Right now, the whole of the Portfolio base package, plus some extra resources (~1500 resource), are in an update cycle. As you can image, the end of this cycle is still a couple of months away, but its at least already in progress. Keep in mind the Portfolio collection contains basically all the other base packages, so for users owning, say, the Bible Study Library, they will get updates too.

Thanks for the response and the insight. This is really good news.

Posts 1966
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 28 2012 9:22 AM

This is indeed great news.  I figured that this was the case, but I just didn't know for sure.

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS