Search assistance

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 22 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 32
CB | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, May 1 2012 7:42 AM

When I do a search in all my Resources for the following (in quotations), "how to hear the voice of God", I get no hits. Need help to do it correctly. Thank you.

Posts 9050
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 1 2012 8:05 AM

F-4:

The 'how to' is probably causing the problem. Search for 'hear the voice of God' or 'hear God' or just 'the voice of God'. You'll then need to sort through the results to see which deal with how to hear the voice of God. "How to hear the voice of God' would likely only be a heading or title. I have a good sized library and get no hits for that phrase. I do get 364 results for 'hear the word of God.'

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 27430
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 1 2012 8:08 AM

When you do a search for "how to hear the voice of God" with the quotes, you will only get hits if you have a resource that has those words in that exact order. Is that what you are trying to do? Likely you got the correct results… namely, that you don't have any resource with "how to hear the voice of God."

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 18643
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 1 2012 8:12 AM

That's a very specific phrase, and chances are that resources discussing this topic will not use the exact phrase you put in quotes. One better way would be to use some keywords with the proximity operators (NEAR, BEFORE, AFTER, WITHIN)

For example: 

hear BEFORE 2 words "voice of God"   

[and be sure to turn on "Match all word forms" -- click the magnifying glass icon at the upper left of the search panel and you'll find that option on the panel menu that drops down]

This will find any occurrence of the word "hear" or "hears" or "hearing" or "heard" when it's no more than 2 words before the phrase "voice of God"

When I do this, I get 1554 hits in my library. Perhaps too many to be useful.

Another option would be simply to leave out the "how to" -- often this little innocent pair of words is irrelevant in a search, because people writing about how to do something won't often use it in their text. It's amazing how many people will use it in a Google search, but it really doesn't help. So if I leave that out (but still keep "Match all word forms") I get 783 results.

You'll probably have fewer results than I do, and you'll need to page through them all, but looking at that bit of context which Logos search provides, I can pretty easily detect which results are going to tell me something about "how to" and which aren't.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 1 2012 8:19 AM

F-4 Jock:
"how to hear the voice of God", I get no hits

Concur phrase search finds 0 results.  Basic Search in my entire library for:

hear NEAR voice WITHIN 3 WORDS (God,Spirit)

finds 5,004 results in my Logos Library

Likewise, a Bible Search without the quotes finds three verses in the Septuagint (LXX) that have all the words (albeit word order is different).

On 6 Apr 2012, Vyrso offered a free eBook => Forgotten God that includes:  (ranked # 1 in my Basic Search)

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 32
CB | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 5 2012 6:05 AM

Thank you Mark.

Posts 32
CB | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 5 2012 6:06 AM

You are correct. I tried it Mark's way and I got several hits. Thank you.

Posts 32
CB | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 5 2012 6:07 AM

Thank you, Rosie, for the info, it will be very useful for other searches.

Posts 32
CB | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 5 2012 6:10 AM

Thank you too for the taking the time to help me.

Posts 32
CB | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 5 2012 6:39 AM

When I searched "hear the voice of God" I got 947 hits. Even when I tried to limit the search to exclude Bibles by using "hear the word of God"  ANDNOT type:Bible, I still get 947 hits. What am I doing wrong? Thanks.

Posts 27430
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 5 2012 7:48 AM

F-4 Jock:
When I searched "hear the voice of God" I got 947 hits. Even when I tried to limit the search to exclude Bibles by using "hear the word of God"  ANDNOT type:Bible, I still get 947 hits. What am I doing wrong?

I am not sure why it doesn't work. Another way to accomplish what you were trying to do, is to use a collection. The screen shots below will show you how I created 2 collections. The first screen shot shows you how to create a collection of "English Bibles." The second one, "Non Bible Resources" starts with every resource in your library with a title (which happens to be every resource Stick out tongue), then excludes your "English Bibles" collection. When you go back and do a search, you can now choose "Non Bible Resources" and it will search your entire library, minus your English Bibles. 

PS - In the future, it would be helpful to use the "quote" feature in the forums when replying. Sometimes it isn't necessary, especially when you are responding immediately to someone. In this case, it is very difficult to follow your "conversation" with people since there is no connection to your posts and the ones you are responding to (see next screen shot). If you need help, check out the "Quote Someone" section in my signature line.

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 1649
Room4more | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 5 2012 8:27 AM

F-4 Jock:

When I do a search in all my Resources for the following (in quotations), "how to hear the voice of God", I get no hits. Need help to do it correctly. Thank you.

Greetings. The voice of God can be heard in different capacity's and by different means. You are limiting your search by the verbage of "hear".

try doing a 'basic' search of 'entire library' and just use - "voice of God" -  this will search 'topics' as well. opening the search routine to a broader spectrum.

hope this helps.

[the 'voice' of God and the 'word' of God are being searchd from two different perspectives...]

DISCLAIMER: What you do on YOUR computer is your doing.

Posts 1649
Room4more | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 5 2012 8:58 AM

...........as an after thought: I have heard people refer to 'hearing God' by means of 'a revelation while reading the Word of God' and 'I had seen xxx and God spoke to me through this..."

hope this helps.

Posts 19
Rob Henderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 5 2012 9:37 AM

How would I search my Prayer Journal which is a Notes file?  I tried searching with the Prayer Journal open and doing a basic search using 'open resources' but this search didn't search in the Prayer Journal Notes.  Any suggestions?

Posts 1649
Room4more | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 5 2012 10:19 AM

Rob Henderson:

How would I search my Prayer Journal which is a Notes file?  I tried searching with the Prayer Journal open and doing a basic search using 'open resources' but this search didn't search in the Prayer Journal Notes.  Any suggestions?

I opened a note file; looked at the first three words of the content; clicked the search tab; typed "[first three words]" for the search w/ 'basic' and 'entire library' ; then did the search. It found the words and it was under the tab "My Content".

THEN:

Did the same as above but had the note file closed - no Hit. So it may be a bug........can we squash it?

Played with the 'entire library' vs 'open resources' the former had hits the latter did not. Using various note files and being selective in the words used that were subject to that particular note file content.

hope this helps.

Posts 19
Rob Henderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 5 2012 11:10 AM

Thank you for your help.  I tried what you suggested and it worked in that it brought the Prayer Journal under my contents.  It open the file to the first entry.  Then I tried searching for a single word and it seems to work fine.

Posts 582
Gary O'Neal | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 5 2012 4:36 PM

F-4 Jock:

When I searched "hear the voice of God" I got 947 hits. Even when I tried to limit the search to exclude Bibles by using "hear the word of God"  ANDNOT type:Bible, I still get 947 hits. What am I doing wrong? Thanks.

You can use type:bible in your library, but it isn't one of the search fields for searches. Here's the list of supported search fields

http://wiki.logos.com/Search_Fields_List

πάντα εἰς δόξαν θεοῦ ποιεῖτε

Posts 24692
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 5 2012 5:09 PM

Room4more:
Played with the 'entire library' vs 'open resources' the former had hits the latter did not.

For note files and other user documents select "My Content" instead of Entire Library.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 1649
Room4more | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 5 2012 5:36 PM

Dave Hooton:

Room4more:
Played with the 'entire library' vs 'open resources' the former had hits the latter did not.

For note files and other user documents select "My Content" instead of Entire Library.

Rob Henderson:

***How would I search my Prayer Journal which is a Notes file? I tried searching with the Prayer Journal open and doing a basic search using 'open resources' but this search didn't search in the Prayer Journal Notes. Any suggestions?****

Guess I missed that, thanks.

Posts 582
Gary O'Neal | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 5 2012 5:45 PM

Room4more:

Dave Hooton:

Room4more:

Rob Henderson:

***How would I search my Prayer Journal which is a Notes file? I tried searching with the Prayer Journal open and doing a basic search using 'open resources' but this search didn't search in the Prayer Journal Notes. Any suggestions?****

Guess I missed that, thanks.

Here's a wiki page on this function - http://wiki.logos.com/Using_Search_to_find_MyContent_files

This only finds text in the prayer list request heading -- it doesn't find text in any of the note fields under the request. I played with it a little and didn't see any way to find these in a search.

EDIT:

This search does find text in these note fields. It didn't when I first entered some -- could this be it had to wait to index this file? Anyway, this search does work as yo would expect.

πάντα εἰς δόξαν θεοῦ ποιεῖτε

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS