False advertizing?

Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 21 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 26137
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, May 5 2012 10:10 PM

So, whilst it is difficult to give a definite answer to the actual number of Christians in the world (estimates range from 2 - 3 billion), http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_many_Christians_are_there_worldwide#ixzz1u3y8XWvT

VS.
"There are very few pastor’s studies, seminary libraries, or even Christian homes that do not contain at least one volume of The Expositor’s Bible Commentary."  Logos blog
=====
Why am I suspicious that one of the following applies:
  • Christian homes is narrowly defined
  • hyperbole was practiced to the extreme
  • someone extrapolated from personal experience
  • someone was testing the fallacy detective

... I almost missed it.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 975
Tom Reynolds | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 5 2012 11:19 PM

I think what they meant to say is that "There are very few pastor’s studies, seminary libraries, or even Christian homes that do not contain at least one dust mite and, as everyone knows, dust mites are really into The Expositor’s Bible Commentary.

Posts 26137
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 6 2012 12:12 AM

Big Smile

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 122
NK | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 6 2012 1:43 AM

Dust mites are really into my new house, but I have yet to find a copy of the EBC --- perhaps it's a really tiny copy.

Posts 1928
Donovan R. Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 6 2012 2:16 AM

The EBC is like a mustard seed, which Logos took and planted in their product portfolio. Though the revised EBC is not the smallest of all seeds (but slightly overpriced), yet in the hands of the Logos marketers it grows, it is the largest of garden plants and becomes a tree, so that the birds come and perch in its branches.

Sorry I couldn't resist a bit of humor. One thing about the marketing of Logos, they don't shy away from bold statements.

Posts 1958
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 6 2012 5:54 AM

The Expositor's Bible Commentary was one of the sources that the New Testament writers used to compile their documents.  How else do you think they knew so much?!?  Take this chance to own one of the earliest sources for the entire Bible!!!!  Order now, and you can get a free copy of the KJV, the very Bible Paul used in his ministry!  Deal only lasts while on Prepub.  The price will then be raised to one million republic credits...

Disclaimer:  All of the information above is false, but the set is pretty good.

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 6 2012 6:14 AM

MJ. Smith:
"There are very few pastor’s studies, seminary libraries, or even Christian homes that do not contain at least one volume of The Expositor’s Bible Commentary."  Logos blog
=====
Why am I suspicious that one of the following applies:

• Christian homes is narrowly defined
  • hyperbole was practiced to the extreme
  • someone extrapolated from personal experience
  • someone was testing the fallacy detective

Surely you must know by now that in the Logos universe priests ain't pastors, and Catholics (Orthodox, Lutherans, Anglicans...) ain't Christians? Stick out tongue The 2010 blog on "heavyweights from across the theological spectrum" made it pretty clear that none of the above fits within Logos' "theological spectrum"...

Of course, this time they've not only 'forgotten' that there are Christians outside their own churches, but also that there are Christians outside their own country. I don't think there are too many Christian homes with a Bible commentary -- any Bible commentary -- in Africa or the Middle East...

Donovan R. Palmer:
The EBC is like a mustard seed, which Logos took and planted in their product portfolio. Though the revised EBC is not the smallest of all seeds (but slightly overpriced), yet in the hands of the Logos marketers it grows, it is the largest of garden plants and becomes a tree, so that the birds come and perch in its branches.

I think you'll win today's price for most entertaining post. Big Smile

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 10039
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 6 2012 6:43 AM

Well, when I saw the quote, I checked on the official Logos forum that has thousands of users, threads, and little pictures of dogs with halos.

I was impressed when I queried if anyone did NOT have the set and sure enough, almost no one said they did NOT have the set.

So there you go. Logos MUST BE CORRECT.

Posts 6479
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 6 2012 7:33 AM

Will someone purchase one for me so that I can be among the haves. Big Smile

Everything ever written in Religion and Theology formatted for Logos Bible Software.Logos Youtube Channel

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 6 2012 8:00 AM

fgh:

Surely you must know by now that in the Logos universe priests ain't pastors, and Catholics (Orthodox, Lutherans, Anglicans...) ain't Christians? Stick out tongue The 2010 blog on "heavyweights from across the theological spectrum" made it pretty clear that none of the above fits within Logos' "theological spectrum"...

Of course, this time they've not only 'forgotten' that there are Christians outside their own churches, but also that there are Christians outside their own country. I don't think there are too many Christian homes with a Bible commentary -- any Bible commentary -- in Africa or the Middle East...

So true, so true, so true...

Posts 104
Jayson Bradley | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 7 2012 10:02 AM

Busted! I take full responsibility for the overstatement, and I have adjusted the post to be less hyperbolic. Thanks MJ.

Posts 1649
Room4more | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 7 2012 10:08 AM

Jayson Bradley:

Busted! I take full responsibility for the overstatement, and I have adjusted the post to be less hyperbolic. Thanks MJ.

Bummer, the forum dream police got your number now, dude. They will be watching.... Geeked

"was that five shots or six"

DISCLAIMER: What you do on YOUR computer is your doing.

Posts 104
Jayson Bradley | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 7 2012 10:09 AM

Yes

Posts 1958
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 7 2012 1:43 PM

No soup for you!!!

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 1493
Josh | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 7 2012 4:06 PM

Does anyone know what the best selling Bible commentary set is?

Posts 3655
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 7 2012 4:10 PM

Josh:

The other 65 books of the Bible?

Big Smile

Grace & Peace,
Bill

Asus GF63 8RD, I-7 8850H, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 2TB HDD, NVIDIA GTX 1050Max
Samsung S9+, 64GB
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Posts 737
Evan Boardman | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 7 2012 4:11 PM

If every Christian home would have it, (which cant be said for any) It would be Matthew Henry.

Posts 1649
Room4more | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 7 2012 4:26 PM

BillS:

Josh:

Big Smile

Would that be Apocolyptic or Pseudepigraphic?

Posts 26137
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 7 2012 5:47 PM

BillS:

Big Smile

You're close - how 'bout ~ 85 other books?

Room4more:

I'd assume canonical by the math.

Posts 1649
Room4more | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 7 2012 5:55 PM

MJ. Smith:

BillS:

Big Smile

You're close - how 'bout ~ 85 other books?

Room4more:

I'd assume canonical by the math.

Makes me wonder if we are adding I & II Enoch[does have a few different translational versions], The Assumption of Moses, and Eve’s record. They have also The Gospel of Thomas and of Peter….

Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS