Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 2
David R. Martin | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, May 8 2012 1:12 PM

I can't seem to find a way for Logos 4 to organize the Library into categories. Most other Bible programs I use do this. It makes browsing through the library much easier and is more logical like a real library. I suppose I expect more since I paid so much for the software.

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 8 2012 1:15 PM

Set the library to List view and click on one of the headings. I think this will give you what you are looking for. Hopefully someone will provide a screen shot to help you out. I'm not able to at the moment.

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 8 2012 1:35 PM

David R. Martin:

I can't seem to find a way for Logos 4 to organize the Library into categories. Most other Bible programs I use do this. It makes browsing through the library much easier and is more logical like a real library. I suppose I expect more since I paid so much for the software.

Have you checked right-clicking on the bar at the top of the library with the author, etc and adding "subjects"?  If you click on the "subjects" heading it will then arrange them in accordance with that though it may not be quite what you want.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 2149
GaoLu | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 8 2012 1:54 PM

I created Personal Books (PBB) with colorful label icons and then prioritized them as section headings. Works well.   Like this:

Posts 2149
GaoLu | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 8 2012 2:09 PM

OK a bit more detail:  Create a Personal Book.   Name the book with something eye-catching as in the screenshot above (-----Greek Dictionaries-----).  I used a colorful label so that the PBB stands out visually in my library as a merely a label and not some baffling title of a Bible dictionary.  

Open your library, then prioritization screen (far top right of screen) and then drag the labels to locations above each grouping of Bibles, dictionaries, commentaries, etc.  Presumably you already have your prioritized books grouped, you just can't see the demarcation between sections. 

When you are done, the headings will show up something like this:

Hmmm, looking at this screenshot, I need to make some changes!

Posts 11
Paul E. Zetterholm | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 17 2014 1:29 PM

Thank you so much for your excellent suggestion separating prioritized books into categories.  I have been able to duplicate everything you listed and have those labels in my prioritized list now.  But I wasn't able to figure out how to get the colorful icon into the document.  Could you help me with that please. 

In Christ, 

Paul

Posts 18828
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 17 2014 2:11 PM

If you don't have a "Subjects" column in your library, right-click on any Library column heading and turn on the checkmark next to "Subjects"; you can also drag the Subject column to wherever you want it to reorder the columns. Here's how I have mine set up right now:

Then once you have a Subjects column, you can sort/group by that column by clicking on the column header. See how my library is now nicely organized into topics, based on the Library of Congress subject headings? You can click on any subject to expand it and show the books that are categorized in that subject:

Posts 11
Paul E. Zetterholm | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 17 2014 11:39 PM

Thanks, Rosie.  I have learned so much over the years from your posts.  But this time I am not looking for a way to categorize my books, but rather I am putting labels in my prioritization list.  What Gao Lu demonstrated is exactly what I am doing.  My only problem is that I cannot figure out how he put that nice green icon in his labels.  Maybe you can help with too????  Thanks again, 

In Christ,

Paul

Posts 18828
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 17 2014 11:50 PM

Paul E. Zetterholm:
I have learned so much over the years from your posts. 

Glad I've been of some help! Smile

Paul E. Zetterholm:

I am not looking for a way to categorize my books, but rather I am putting labels in my prioritization list.  What Gao Lu demonstrated is exactly what I am doing.

OK, I see. You did ask about browsing through your entire library by category. Most people don't prioritize every single title in their library, so I didn't realize you were talking about prioritization. And it's kind of overriding the purpose for the prioritization window (which isn't very easy to edit)

You could effectively accomplish the same thing by using a unique tagging system, and then tag all your books such that each book falls into one and only one category. (Most of my tagging isn't that restrictive.) Then you can sort/group your library by the My Tags column and browse through all your books by category that way. Actually, if you wanted, you could assign the same book more than one category tag, and then it would appear in multiple category groupings, if you felt that was appropriate.

I've chosen one unique space of tags which I call "Shelf: xxxx"; each book in my library can only be "put away" on one virtual "shelf" in my library, just as in my physical library at home. So along with any other tags I might assign to each book, I also assign it a shelf, e.g., "Shelf: History" or "Shelf: Theology." Then when I sort/group my library by My Tags, I can browse through my library shelves, just as I do my physical library bookshelves.

Here's a section of what my library looks like when grouped this way, with a few shelf tags expanded to show what books are "on" those shelves:

I find this much easier than trying to use the Prioritize panel to organize my entire library would be. Books are automatically sorted alphabetically by title within each shelf. (I understand there is a coming feature, now in beta, which lets you sort by any combination of columns.) And you don't have to do all that dragging! It's easier to page through the whole thing too.

Paul E. Zetterholm:
My only problem is that I cannot figure out how he put that nice green icon in his labels.  Maybe you can help with too???? 

Looks like he created an image file (.jpg or other) and added that image file as the cover image for these Personal Books:

How to create the image file in the first place? Draw it yourself using MS Paint or some other graphics program, or easier: find an image you like using Google Images search (make sure it's one that you have permission to download and use). For example, here's how you could find a picture of a green tag like in Gao Lu's image. Or if you particularly like an image you see in some software on your computer and yet can't find it anywhere online, you could do a screen capture (again, be sure you have the right to use it) and save it as a .jpg file.

Posts 11
Paul E. Zetterholm | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 20 2014 2:38 PM

Rosie,

Thanks for the additional help.  I was able to do all of this, only to realize at the end that my nice new green tag wouldn't transfer to my prioritization list.  I went back to look at Gao Lu's example, and sure enough, he only shows the tag in the Browse view, not in the Prioritization view.  Guess that's what he meant when he said, "Looks like I still have some work to do."

Sorry to waste your time with all this.  God bless you.

In Christ, Paul

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS