I need Help selecting a Seminary

Page 1 of 3 (56 items) 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 55 Replies | 5 Followers

Posts 1110
Lee | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, May 11 2012 10:33 AM

Hello

I am serving in the overseas missions field.

I have Logos Bible study edition. so i may need to upgrade to the Scholar's Library. But I am unsure of the need.

I am thinking of Northwestern Seminary for a Bachelor of Theology in Biblical Studies or Bachelor of Theology in Christian Apologetics.

It most be a On-line only program. And of course the cost will be a very big issue.

Thank You Lee

L4 Bible Study, L5 Reformed Bronze, & L5 Gold, L6 Platinum & Reformed Platinum, L7 Platinum, L8 Baptist Platinum.
2015 rMBP 15" 2.2GHz 16GB 256GB SSD, running macOS Mojave   iPad Mini 4,   iPhone 6.

Posts 704
ChelseaFC | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 11 2012 10:52 AM

You may want to look into RTS. http://www.rts.edu/They have online courses. Depending on your organization you may even qualify for a discount. 

Cheers,

Marcus

Chelsea FC- Today is a good day!

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 11 2012 11:06 AM

For Libronix 3 on Windows, Logos offers courses from Moody Bible Institute => Foundation of Biblical Ministry (AM Bible Courseware) for $ 800

Thankful that Libronix 3 and Logos 4 can peacefully coexist on Windows.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 453
Mike S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 11 2012 11:21 AM

It looks as though you're looking for an undergraduate degree, but if you're looking for a seminary degree program that I know to be focused on global leaders check out this one: 

http://fuller.edu/magl/

I know and greatly admire the director of the program and know it is of great worth!

Posts 1649
Room4more | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 11 2012 11:30 AM

Lee Garrison:

Hello

I have Logos Bible study edition. so i may need to upgrade to the Scholar's Library. But I am unsure of the need.

I am thinking of Northwestern Seminary for a Bachelor of Theology in Biblical Studies or Bachelor of Theology in Christian Apologetics.

It most be a On-line only program. And of course the cost will be a very big issue.

Thank You Lee

This may be for u…… http://community.logos.com/forums/t/49360.aspx if you read the whole thread, Kendell [logos symbol] is the contact, and they do offer virtual classes

DISCLAIMER: What you do on YOUR computer is your doing.

Posts 1956
Donovan R. Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 11 2012 1:22 PM

You could check out: http://www.kingsdivinity.org/

Posts 6
Johan | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 11 2012 2:17 PM

Donovan R. Palmer:

You could check out: http://www.kingsdivinity.org/

YesYesYesYesYes

Posts 1523
Josh | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 11 2012 2:23 PM

Lee Garrison:

Hello

Thank You Lee

Liberty University and Liberty Baptist Theological Seminary are regionally accredited and offer many full online "theology" degrees.

Posts 387
James Chandler | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 14 2012 7:19 AM

I agree with Lee, Liberty is a very good school and completion of a degree, can be done completely online.

Jim

Running on ASUS Windows 10 I7 24 gig of ram, 1 Terabyte drive.

Philippians 2:3 Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves.

Posts 1110
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 17 2012 2:26 AM

Hello and thank you to everyone above, I have selected to go with Northwestern Theological Seminary. They are one of the only 100% on-line programs in my price range.

Now I must get focused to compplete this Bachelor & Master conbination program that I picked.

L4 Bible Study, L5 Reformed Bronze, & L5 Gold, L6 Platinum & Reformed Platinum, L7 Platinum, L8 Baptist Platinum.
2015 rMBP 15" 2.2GHz 16GB 256GB SSD, running macOS Mojave   iPad Mini 4,   iPhone 6.

Posts 1523
Josh | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 17 2012 2:54 AM

Lee Garrison:

Hello and thank you to everyone above, I have selected to go with Northwestern Theological Seminary. They are one of the only 100% on-line programs in my price range.

Now I must get focused to compplete this Bachelor & Master conbination program that I picked.

I noticed that NTS is NOT regionally accredited nor is it ATS accredited. They are able to grant diplomas only based on a state exemption as a religious entity. You know this right?

Now I'm not saying this school is not academically rigorous - however, depending on your reasoning for getting a degree this can cause problems down the road.

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 17 2012 4:08 AM

Lee Garrison:

I would be cautious about this.  I won't say that there is necessarily anything wrong with it, but I have a feeling there is something not quite kosher here.   Take Josh's caution regarding accreditation seriously.  This is part of my hesitation on this:  On the one hand they claim that Christian organizations dealing in religious education don't seek the normal accredidation yet they also claim that they have accreditation.  Something doesn't add up.  Also, look at its affiliation with the "Worldwide Church of Jesus Christ".  This sounds like something related to the Herbert W Armstrong group though when I search for an entry for it in Wikipedia, which has pages on many groups, I am given a list of articles which are heavily weighted toward the LDS.  CAUTION !

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 1110
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 17 2012 4:13 AM

Hello Josh, thank you i did not understand the above accrediting. The reason for the degree is that I am serving as a missionary and need to have a degree for visa in this country, but also i wanted more training.

Thanks Lee

Posts 1147
Armin | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 17 2012 4:41 AM

Lee Garrison:

The reason for the degree is that I am serving as a missionary and need to have a degree for visa in this country, but also i wanted more training.

This makes it even more important that your degree is accredited. Be very careful with non-accredited programs. A non-accredited program does not necessarily mean that it is bad, but I doubt that your country will accept a non-accredited degree. There are enough diploma-mills around.

Armin

Posts 452
Mitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 17 2012 5:22 AM

As an overseas missionary, you may well be eligible for a number of scholarships that could significantly reduce the cost of admission to a more well-known seminary. I'm waiting to hear back from the admissions committee at Fuller Theological Seminary myself, and I know they have a fairly robust online curriculum. Gordon-Conwell is another that comes to mind. If money is the main issue, I'm sure there are ways to make it happen.

Posts 382
Sacrifice | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 18 2012 3:34 AM

Until you make a decision you can use the free seminary courses here:

http://thirdmill.org/seminary/

Yours In Christ

Posts 46
Cheez | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 18 2012 4:04 AM

Hi Lee, I'm not sure which country you are serving in, but do note that if you are working in a "closed country", they may not recognize a seminary degree for your attempt to get a visa. You'll need to find out. 

Visa is a constant issue with us in the field, even with those of us who has postgraduate degrees. It's very dependent on the country...

Posts 12103
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 18 2012 5:52 AM

George Somsel:
 look at its affiliation with the "Worldwide Church of Jesus Christ".  This sounds like....heavily weighted toward the LDS

From http://www.northwesternseminary.com/Doctrinal.htm I would assume that NTS holds to a conservative, evangelical theology and that EDIT: calling the church in connection with NTS the "Worldwide Church of Jesus Christ" is meant to show their focus on global mission. For whatever reason, it seems important to this church to diplay the apostolic succession of their bishop /EDIT

However, the problem with degrees offered by this seminary may really be the lack of formal accreditation - see this discussion page, where the seminary president, "Bishop" Sarkela weighs in. Obviously, as he himself writes, this issue is different for ministers already working in an organization and intending to deepen their theological knowledge than for people who will need accredited degrees for future employment (or visa requirements as is the case here).

Running Logos 9 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 124
Donald G. Fisher | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 18 2012 6:33 AM

Hey Lee,

I was in Ethiopia for two years and our internet at the time was dial up.  Having said that after we returned to the states I did my MA through Liberty which offered a decent education but in all honesty, it did not add much to my education after having completed a 4 year Bible College.  It did take me a couple of years to complete while working full time.  It is fully accredited and recognized but the one issue in Ethiopia is that those who were there teaching theologically also needed a degree in something other than "religious" studies.  In other words, they were looking for people who could help the country through agriculture, medicine, engineering, or teaching non-Bible subjects.  My main function was teaching IT but also did Bible.  My wife was a nurse but also served at a mission's school.  There are plenty of viable options for a seminary degree.  Feel free to contact me if you'd like. 

Blessings,

Don

Posts 1110
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 18 2012 7:37 AM

Hello

I thank everyone above; I have looked into Northwestern Theological Seminary in detail. I have decided to attend and, have been accepted in their degree program.

NB.Mick Replied: Today 5:52 AM

From http://www.northwesternseminary.com/Doctrinal.htm I would assume that NTS holds to a conservative, evangelical theology and that reference to the worldwide church in connection with NTS is meant to show their focus on global mission rather than a specific organization calling itself "Worldwide Church".

I do agree with you.

Also Donald thank you, the visa status is based on Certificate in Teaching English as a Foreign Language. And having the Bachelor and Master is really more for my mission work and show a Degree if asked.

Thank You Lee

Page 1 of 3 (56 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS