Visual Filter for what to do and not do

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
This post has 12 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 76
Ryan Burns | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, May 16 2012 6:48 AM

I was creating a visual filter today for imperatives using @V??M 

Using the filter shows things to do and not to do.

I thought I'd create another filter that showed things "not" to do using @BN WITHIN 2 WORDS @V??M

Of course, when running the two filters at the same time, verses like 1 John 2:15 will show both filters on the word "love." So, I decided to try and tack on a limiter to my first filter that removes all imperatives that are next to negative adverbs. However, I'm not sure how to do that. Essentially, I want to say "Highlight @V??M unless it is near @BN" 

How do I do that?

Goal: two visual filter. One shows what to do and one shows what not to do, with no overlapping.

Helping people find seminary scholarships and church jobs.

Posts 2704
DominicM | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 16 2012 7:02 AM

unless I misunderstand the question I think the syntax would be:

@V??M NOT WITHIN 2 WORDS @BN

Never Deprive Anyone of Hope.. It Might Be ALL They Have

Posts 76
Ryan Burns | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 16 2012 7:13 AM

DominicM:
@V??M NOT WITHIN 2 WORDS @BN

Seems logical, but doesn't work for me. Did it work for you?

Posts 2704
DominicM | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 16 2012 7:43 AM

try putting it in a search, then IF IT IS OK  hit the make filter button..

Never Deprive Anyone of Hope.. It Might Be ALL They Have

Posts 76
Ryan Burns | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 16 2012 7:53 AM

The problem is that I want to show ALL @V??M but exclude results that are near @BN

There are over 1,800+ results for @V??M 

There are around 300 results for @BN WITHIN 2 WORDS @V??M

However, your query only resulted in 9 results. If it does what I'm looking for, it should result in about 1500 results.

Posts 22734
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 16 2012 8:05 AM

Use the term "ANDNOT" as opposed to "NOT" so

@V??M ANDNOT WITHIN 2 WORDS @bn

From the wiki - http://wiki.logos.com/Detailed_Search_Help#Using_Boolean_Operators

Using Boolean Operators

Logos supports the boolean operators ANDOR, and ANDNOT. (It doesn’t support NOT however.) Operators should always be typed in capital letters.

Posts 76
Ryan Burns | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 16 2012 8:29 AM

Thank Graham, but that didn't do it either. 

@V??M ANDNOT WITHIN 2 WORDS @BN now highlights all @BN. For example, it highlights "not" from 1 John 2:19 "... that they were not of us."

If the query works the way I want it to, it would only highlight @V??M, excluding places where @V??M is near @BMN

Posts 22734
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 16 2012 9:06 AM

Sorry Ryan

An error in my logic.

Try 

@V??M ANDNOT (@V??M WITHIN 2 WORDS @bn)

Posts 76
Ryan Burns | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 17 2012 6:55 AM

Graham Criddle:

@V??M ANDNOT (@V??M WITHIN 2 WORDS @bn)

Graham, I tried that just before you posted yesterday. Sadly, it doen't work either. For example, when I run the above on  1 John 4:1 "test" is not highlighted. However, if I simply run @V??M it is highlighted.

Thoughts?

Posts 76
Ryan Burns | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 17 2012 7:40 AM

Ok, I just gave up. Decided it was taking too much time to get the visual filter to look exactly how I wanted it. Settled for just using two formattings that didn't over lap. Good enough for now.

Thanks for all the help fellas.

Posts 22734
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 17 2012 7:52 AM

Hi Ryan

Ryan Burns:
Graham, I tried that just before you posted yesterday. Sadly, it doen't work either. For example, when I run the above on  1 John 4:1 "test" is not highlighted. However, if I simply run @V??M it is highlighted.

The "test" in 1 John 4:1 is not highlighted because the verse is discarded from the search results due to an earlier "negative match". The "not believe" phrase earlier in the verse matches the (@V??M WITHIN 2 WORDS @bn) clause and so the verse isn't returned as a hit because searches of this type are done on verse boundaries. So that's why this case didn't catch.

I can't think of any way to address this using a morph search - hopefully someone else will come up with something

Graham

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 17 2012 10:56 AM

Graham Criddle:
I can't think of any way to address this using a morph search - hopefully someone else will come up with something

One visual filter idea is @V??M to highlight imperatives, then @BN BEFORE 1 WORD @V??M to highlight negative imperatives, which could be used for all passages.

Morph Search for:

@BN BEFORE 2-7 WORDS @V??M

could be saved to a Passage List, then remove verses where the negation does not apply to the imperative verb (e.g. Matthew 14:16) while keeping ones that do apply (e.g. 1 John 4:1), then create a visual filter using the Passage List to highlight negative commands.

Caveat: English reverse interlinear word order can have negation some words away from imperative verb (e.g. Matthew 6:3).

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 25 2012 2:09 AM

Personally learning that a visual filter using:

@BN BEFORE 1 WORD @V??M

can have false positive(s) in some English Reverse Interlinear Bibles: e.g. Mark 10:19

Also learning that Greek Morphology visual filter highlighting for negative words with imperatives can nearly be done without using a passage list:

Caveat: this set of visual filters does not highlight the negation in Matthew 6:3 in English, but does highlight negation in Greek.

@BN BEFORE 1 WORD @V??M

(be,do) BEFORE 1 WORD @BN BEFORE 1 WORD @V??M

@V??M BEFORE 1 WORD (no,not,nothing,"not ye")

@V??M BEFORE 1 WORD (him,it,them,ye) BEFORE 1 WORD not

("do not",not) BEFORE 1 WORD (be,get,man,pronounce,seek) BEFORE 1 WORD @V??M

@BN BEFORE 1 WORD οὖν BEFORE 1 WORD @V??M

Keep Smiling Smile

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS