Logos 4 & Pre-1995 NASB

Page 1 of 2 (30 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 29 Replies | 5 Followers

Posts 2
Ronald J. Spiotta | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Nov 16 2009 1:08 PM

Will the pre-1995 version of the NASB transition into Logos 4?  I received one answer from sales ("yes") and another from customer support ("no").  This version is my primary bible, and therefore Logos 4 would not be useful if I lost access to this bible.  Has anyone installed Logos 4 and been able to access this bible?  If there is access to this book, I'd upgrade promptly.

As an aside, I have the book file in the old .lsf format (NASB.lsf, NASB.lix), but do not have it in the Libronix format (.lbxlls), though I have a license for that file.  I can still access the NASB.lsf in Libronix ver. 3.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Ron.

Posts 352
Mike & Rachel Aubrey | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 16 2009 1:22 PM

What's wrong with the 1995 update that you wouldn't use it?

Posts 1606
Ken McGuire | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 16 2009 1:27 PM

First of all, I do not have this resource, so what I say is hearsay.  Someone has reported on the forums that they could read NASB (1977) but that it is mistaged as a monograph, and so cannot be compared with other bibles through Logos 4.  So, it appears that both official Logos answers are correct.

I would think that they can fix this either by correcting the Metadata or creating a more recent format file.  Of course, if or when they do this depends on priorities as well as what license they have to update this resource.

The Gospel is not ... a "new law," on the contrary, ... a "new life." - William Julius Mann

Posts 1646
SteveF | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 16 2009 1:32 PM

[Edit: It appears I could not find this because it is labeled as a "Monograph, NOT as a Bible]

Yes, I too have both NASB and NASB 95 etc in L3 BUT only NASB 95 in L4.

Steve

Regards, SteveF

Posts 549
Shawn Drewett | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 16 2009 1:38 PM

I posted about this same thing a couple of weeks ago. It is very interesting to see the differences in these versions by using "Compare Bible Versions" in L3 but L4 does not recognize NASB77 as a bible so it doesn't work. I think it will probabley be a long time before (if ever) this will be fixed because of so many other priorities.

In my studies of bible versions, it rates higher in literal-ness than NASB95. This doesn't make it better, just useful. 

Posts 8601
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 16 2009 1:45 PM

Shawn Drewett:
In my studies of bible versions, it rates higher in literal-ness than NASB95. This doesn't make it better, just useful. 
Interesting observation, I've never taken the time to compare them.  Does it rate better than Youngs Literal Translation?  (Also which I almost never touch)

Truth Is Still Truth Even if You Don't Believe It

Check the Wiki

Warning: Sarcasm is my love language. I may inadvertently express my love to you.

Posts 25101
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 16 2009 1:50 PM

RonaldJSpiotta:
Will the pre-1995 version of the NASB transition into Logos 4?  I received one answer from sales ("yes") and another from customer support ("no"). 

I say "No" because it never made the transition to L3 format and was superseded by NASB95. You have the licence and the files, but you will only be able to access it in L3. But there is nothing to prevent Bob from jumping in and stating it will be made available in L4!

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 549
Shawn Drewett | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 16 2009 1:59 PM

Well, I went thru a period of time (probabley about 1995 thru 2003) in which I was consumed with bible translation study. The ASV was rated high in both it's textual basis, and it's method of literal translation. However some of it's footnotes where considered questionable from a conservative standpoint. The NASB77 corrected these footnotes which (in my opinion and many others) makes it a superb translation. Robert L. Thomas of "The Master's Seminary" and the "Lockman Foundation" rates it very high and says that the revisions in the '95 version detract overall from it's use as a literal bible for study. Of course he did work for Lockman so he would be prejudice. :) I just happen to trust his judgment and love his book "How to choose a bible version."

Posts 4077
Melissa Snyder | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 16 2009 2:03 PM

RonaldJSpiotta:

Will the pre-1995 version of the NASB transition into Logos 4?  I received one answer from sales ("yes") and another from customer support ("no").  This version is my primary bible, and therefore Logos 4 would not be useful if I lost access to this bible.  Has anyone installed Logos 4 and been able to access this bible?  If there is access to this book, I'd upgrade promptly.

As an aside, I have the book file in the old .lsf format (NASB.lsf, NASB.lix), but do not have it in the Libronix format (.lbxlls), though I have a license for that file.  I can still access the NASB.lsf in Libronix ver. 3.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Ron.

Hi Ron,

Since Logos 4 will also recognize the old LLS format, you can open the NASB in Logos 4 if it has discovered the book files. First, look for it by typing New American Standard in the Library Find field or the Command box (the 'nasb' abbreviation won't work). If it doesn't come up, copy the .lsf and .lix files to your Libronix DLS 3 Resources folder, if they are still in the old Logos20\Books folder, then scan that location so Logos 4 can discover them. If your L3 resources are in the default folder, you would type scan c:\program files\libronix dls\resources (or on a 64-bit system: scan c:\program files (x86)\libronix dls\resources). Then restart Logos. It will index for a short time, but you should be able to find it in Library, or from Command box.

You could scan the C:\Logos20\Books folder instead, but you may want to have all your LLS books in the Libronix DLS\Resources folder, so you can delete the older Logos20 folder if desired.

Thanks,
Melissa

Posts 5615
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 16 2009 2:13 PM

Melissa Snyder:

Hi Ron,

Since Logos 4 will also recognize the old LLS format, you can open the NASB in Logos 4 if it has discovered the book files. First, look for it by typing New American Standard in the Library Find field or the Command box (the 'nasb' abbreviation won't work). If it doesn't come up, copy the .lsf and .lix files to your Libronix DLS 3 Resources folder, if they are still in the old Logos20\Books folder, then scan that location so Logos 4 can discover them. If your L3 resources are in the default folder, you would type scan c:\program files\libronix dls\resources (or on a 64-bit system: scan c:\program files (x86)\libronix dls\resources). Then restart Logos. It will index for a short time, but you should be able to find it in Library, or from Command box.

You could scan the C:\Logos20\Books folder instead, but you may want to have all your LLS books in the Libronix DLS\Resources folder, so you can delete the older Logos20 folder if desired.

Thanks,
Melissa

It still needs to have its type changed from monograph to bible to make it useful.

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 778
JRS | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 16 2009 2:16 PM

I did not realize that the NASB77 could still be used in L3!  When the NASB95 came out I was under the impression that my 77 just sort of evaporated away. Thanks for the tip.  77 remains my preferred translation over all others.  My library now contains just one, lone, last print version and an electronic copy in WS (plus my old L3 copy which must be around here somewhere ...). 

I would be thrilled if Logos would bring NASB77 back in an L4 compile. 

How blessed is the one whom Thou dost choose, and bring near to Thee(Psa 65:4a)

Posts 8601
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 16 2009 2:34 PM

JRS:
I would be thrilled if Logos would bring NASB77 back in an L4 compile. 
I think the goal is to recompile everything they can get the rights to recompile.  I wouldn't be surprised that (A) it's on the list and (B) they can do so - since they have the NASB95 as well.

Truth Is Still Truth Even if You Don't Believe It

Check the Wiki

Warning: Sarcasm is my love language. I may inadvertently express my love to you.

Posts 271
Don | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 17 2009 12:01 PM
Given that the Logos 2 resource (NASB.lix & NASB.lsf) was not converted to LDLS format (*.lbxlls), I doubt it will be converted to L4 format (*.LOGOS4). My guess would be that the Lockman Foundation wants people to have their latest translation, not an older version.
Posts 4077
Melissa Snyder | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 17 2009 12:29 PM

Don:
Given that the Logos 2 resource (NASB.lix & NASB.lsf) was not converted to LDLS format (*.lbxlls), I doubt it will be converted to L4 format (*.LOGOS4). My guess would be that the Lockman Foundation wants people to have their latest translation, not an older version.

We are no longer able to sell the older NASB version, but we are looking into permissions to distribute it in .lbxlls and .Logos4 format. We'll update this thread when we have more information.

Melissa

Posts 271
Don | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 17 2009 12:33 PM
Thanks Melissa.
Posts 9101
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 17 2009 12:59 PM

Melissa Snyder:
We are no longer able to sell the older NASB version, but we are looking into permissions to distribute it in .lbxlls and .Logos4 format. We'll update this thread when we have more information.

Even if you cannot do this, can the 'Type' be changed to 'Bible' from 'Monograph' so it can be selected in the Text Comparison tool? (I guess the extra question is, would doing this allow it to be used in the text comparison tool?)

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 25101
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 17 2009 1:09 PM

I would think it does not have a text entry box. If you can't enter bible passages it is not a bible. What does its resource information say - is it indexed by Bible type?

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 653
Alex Scott | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 17 2009 1:12 PM

Melissa Snyder:
Since Logos 4 will also recognize the old LLS format, you can open the NASB in Logos 4 if it has discovered the book files. First, look for it by typing New American Standard in the Library Find field or the Command box

Thanks Melissa, that worked for me.  I had tried NASB but that hadn't worked.

Longtime Logos user (more than $30,000 in purchases) - now a second class user because I won't pay them more every month or year.

Posts 9101
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 17 2009 1:26 PM

Dave Hooton:
I would think it does not have a text entry box.

I does have a text entry box. Under Indexes it lists Bible. Under Search fields it lists Bible as well as some others. Seems to function in every way as a Bible (as it did under 3.0), but in 4.0 cannot be selected in tools that are designed for 'Bible'.

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 9101
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 17 2009 1:28 PM

Alex Scott:
I had tried NASB but that hadn't worked.

Don't know why. I works for me.

Bridgeport, CT USA

Page 1 of 2 (30 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS