Hesitant to Use Academic Discount Due to Lack of Transferability

Page 1 of 4 (67 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >
This post has 66 Replies | 10 Followers

Posts 255
Sogol | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, May 23 2012 7:25 PM

I read somewhere that Logos resources purchased with the academic discount cannot be transferred to another user. Can someone please confirm that this is the case?

If this is true, it presents a problem for me. I have always made it a habit of selling (or giving away) books that I no longer use, so this policy would exclude that practice.

Accordingly, I have thus far limited my purchases of Logos resources (excluding community pricing and resources with no academic discount) to that which I can buy from others at a reasonable discount from their regular price.

Of course, not everything I am looking to purchase is available in such situations, but at least I retain the option to transfer anything in my library.

And I admit that part of the reason I take this approach is more psychological/ideological - I don't feel the same sense of ownership of my library when transferability is restricted.

I don't know that anyone else who has the academic discount takes the same approach as me, but in my case, it seems that Logos would make out much better if they allowed the transfer of resources purchased with an academic discount. This way I would just purchase everything directly from them rather than from other people.

If Logos is concerned that those with the academic discount might use it to make a quick buck by selling what they buy (though I doubt anyone could make very much off a scheme like that), why not just impose a one or two year minimum holding period on resources purchased with the discount and limit each customer to only one of each product at the discount?

I think a policy like that would deter most cases of abuse that might arise from allowing transfers.

Thanks.

Posts 201
Garrett Ho | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 23 2012 9:12 PM

I believe that academic purchases can be transferred. To prevent it from being abused, Logos has policies for purchasing. If I recall correctly, multiple copies of base packages cannot be purchased using the academic discount. It is one per person. I don't know if it is the same with individual titles.

But, feel free to wait for official verification. I don't think there is anything to be worried about. A polite and appreciative call to customer service might also get you a non-academic discount.

Posts 10428
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 24 2012 2:38 AM

Sogol:
I read somewhere that Logos resources purchased with the academic discount cannot be transferred to another user.

An email to dan@logos.com might be in order here. Doubt that Logos reads the General forum on a regular basis—too many threads to follow.

Posts 255
Sogol | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 24 2012 5:05 PM

Okay. Thanks for the feedback. Maybe I will shoot Dan an e-mail.

Posts 138
LogosEmployee
Clifford Kvidahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 24 2012 6:47 PM

Sogol:

Okay. Thanks for the feedback. Maybe I will shoot Dan an e-mail.

Sogol,

If you cannot reach Dan, or do not hear back from him, I may be able to get an answer for you.

Cliff [cliff.kvidahl[at]logos[dot]com]

Posts 255
Sogol | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 11 2012 2:37 PM

I still haven't been able to get a response from anyone at Logos about this question.

Can anyone help?

Posts 767
Alan Charles Gielczyk | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 11 2012 2:40 PM

Did you email Cliff?

Posts 255
Sogol | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 12 2012 12:56 PM

Alan Charles Gielczyk:

Did you email Cliff?

Unfortunately, I have not received a response from anyone I e-mailed at Logos.

Posts 2284
Ronald Quick | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 12 2012 1:12 PM

I'm not sure if you can call - but that may be a quicker way to get your question answered.

Posts 255
Sogol | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 22 2012 8:47 PM

Ronald Quick:

I'm not sure if you can call - but that may be a quicker way to get your question answered.

I am starting to wonder if anyone at Logos really knows the answer.

I would like to see some kind of written response, but no one at Logos has responded to my emails (nor provided an answer on this thread). Being completely ignored by Logos with this question probably represents my single biggest disappointment with Logos to date.

Per my initial comments, I am still inclined to go with the only thing I have found on the website in writing, which is this disclaimer that shows up when I look at base packages:

"Academic product purchases are not-transferable and non-giftable."

Granted, I have only found this in the base package section, but I don't see why it wouldn't apply to other purchases.

Just to repeat myself, I really don't see myself selling or giving away anything I buy from Logos anytime in the foreseeable future (unless I have duplicates licenses), but I would always like the option to do just like I can with my physical library. In the meantime, Logos has lost a few thousand dollars worth of sales from me because I bought resources from third parties at prices similar to the academic discount prices but without the restrictions on transferability. 

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 22 2012 9:21 PM

Sogol:

I have purchased many resources through Community Pricing, Pre-Pub and super sales that rival the Academic Discount. I, too, am reluctant to mix in a lot of Academic Discount resources with my regular (huge) library that was purchased without restrictions on transferability. My hope is to someday bless a preacher, student or missionary with a great library and no worries of having to sort what is transferable and what is not.

Hopefully we will get clarification directly from Logos soon.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 25 2012 8:51 AM

Sogol:

Another concern I have is this: Will Logos blacklist all resources I purchase during my term of "Academic Discount" eligibility, even if they are purchased without the discount? I have been buying many resources I locked in from Community Pricing that are cheaper than subsequent Academic pricing. I would hate for those to be non-transferable just because I qualified for the more expensive Academic pricing.

Tongue Tied

Sogol:
I am starting to wonder if anyone at Logos really knows the answer.

Zip it!  Given the silence, I think you may be correct. 

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 638
Into Grace | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 25 2012 9:25 AM

Will Logos allow a transfer of the sofware (license) to a family member after I die?

Posts 8601
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 25 2012 9:40 AM

Into Grace:

Will Logos allow a transfer of the sofware (license) to a family member after I die?

Yes.

You can put the provision in your will. I believe the current license transfer fee is $25. (for office work overhead stuff)

Truth Is Still Truth Even if You Don't Believe It

Check the Wiki

Warning: Sarcasm is my love language. I may inadvertently express my love to you.

Posts 255
Sogol | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 27 2012 6:41 AM

Great points, Super Tramp.

I think that all we are really asking for is a bit more clarity and transparency about how the finer points of the program work. That seems like a pretty reasonable request to me, and I really hope that there is a response.

Posts 9938
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 27 2012 7:58 AM

Sogol ... you're threatening one of the Logos records on being uncommunicative.

The question on academic pricing transferability has been going on every since I joined the forum (maybe 3 years or so?).

I'm sure it probably goes back even decades. There's only 2 other uncommunicative records still in the running. It's just too risky to ask Logos for an answer.

Posts 162
Clifford B. Kvidahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 28 2012 7:41 PM

Sogol:

Alan Charles Gielczyk:

Did you email Cliff?

Sogol,

I did get your email (sorry that I have not responded) and I want you to know that I have looked into this and I am awaiting a final verdict. I have not forgotten, just waiting for the final word on the matter.

Cliff

Posts 138
LogosEmployee
Clifford Kvidahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 28 2012 7:44 PM

Sogol:

Alan Charles Gielczyk:

Did you email Cliff?

Sogol,

I did get your email (sorry that I have not responded) and I want you to know that I have looked into this and I am awaiting a final verdict. I have not forgotten, just waiting for the final word on the matter.

Cliff

Posts 255
Sogol | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 29 2012 7:10 AM

Clifford Kvidahl:

Sogol,

Cliff

Hi Cliff,

Thanks for the reply. I really appreciate you looking into this (and it looks like many others do as well).

Please let us know once you have more clarity on this issue.

Thanks again!

Posts 184
LogosEmployee
Dan Pritchett | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 3 2012 5:18 PM

Rules, regulations and policies are no fun.

We try hard to have an atmosphere of freedom. One in which we are serving our customers and having great relationships where we are open and honest with each other. We live in a world where one size does not fit all, and where we still want to give personalized service.

We don't like rules. We like relationships.

Yes, it is getting more and more difficult to maintain individual relationships with our users as we grow—we now have well over one million registered accounts, and believe it or not, we still try our best to keep things feeling small and personal, and treat each user as a unique and special human being, that we want as personal a relationship as possible, with.

To directly address the issue at hand—Academic Discount Program purchases were not designed to be transferrable.

The Academic Discount Program was designed for many reasons that I won't go into in great detail here, but one was to help financially strapped students get the resources they needed at a time when finances were tight, and when their professors were requiring them to buy many books for their classes. ...and yet, even this is a point of contention for many of our customers.

Consider that our customers have varying levels of income all around the world in all stages of life and career. A young Bible college student being sponsored by her rich parents to go have a great time at an expensive school may also be getting spoiled by her rich grandmother with gifts of cash. She has no financial needs at all, yet enjoys special pricing for books she won't even value as much as the next person. On the other hand, a pastor of a new church in the middle of nowhere Africa has saved up for three years to finally be able to afford a Scholar's Library, and it is his most prized possession on earth and he cherishes it above all earthly things and thanks God daily he was blessed enough to be able to finally make the purchase.

Why should the student with no need get a better deal than the pastor with great need? It is a complex and imperfect system. Need is just one part of the equation, and not the main part at that.

Here's where the challenge comes in.

Think about the traditional print world where many students don't want to keep their books after the class. Perhaps they were forced to get the books their professors required and they weren't too excited about it to begin with. They try to snag the library copy, or try to start with a cheap used copy then sell that once the class is over. The used textbook market is the publisher's worst nightmare. That's why they keep coming out with updated versions and continue to raise prices. They can't afford to sell one copy of the textbook and have it passed around to 100 different students that all participate in that book financially, but keep the publisher locked out of it forever.

In the same way, we have found that many students would like to purchase books for Logos and then return them or resell them when the class is over. This is a drain on our resources and a distraction from the design of our discount program. We created the program to help people save money and enjoy a self-service option that reduced our operating and handling costs. We could create a very comprehensive and complicated system and set of policies to handle all situations that may arise, or we could just simplify things and explain that was not the design of the program.

At this time, we have chosen to go with the simple approach and explain to everyone that Academic Discount Program purchases were not designed to be transferrable.

Page 1 of 4 (67 items) 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS