Resource Associations...

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 20 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 28
Todd Anson Wilkins | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Nov 16 2009 1:41 PM

The situation is as follows: Since I cant scroll through resources I prefer (resource association), I open several resources and tab through them as if I were using the right arrow key. The situation, when I group all of these reources using the link set as long as each resource has an appropriate article no problem. If not, then all of the resources jump to the location that was last found in that resource. I notice on the "power look up" and other tools there is the FOLLOW option for a link set. Could this be added to all the places where one can set a link set? ... Generally speaking, there is usually one resource that is "anchor" and the other ones I set to follow it (at least that's how I think about it).

Posts 25276
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 16 2009 5:35 PM

If you link a tool (Power Lookup) to the same link set as the resources it will only act upon the references of your "anchor".  Is that what you mean?

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 28
Todd Anson Wilkins | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 17 2009 8:00 AM

Yep. It would be neat to have that feature for all of the resource.

Posts 25276
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 17 2009 5:16 PM

Please explain exactly where it is lacking - some resources cannot be linked? some tools cannot link to resources?

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 28
Todd Anson Wilkins | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 18 2009 5:42 AM

Normal 0

This is what I did. I had my NASB opened and link set to A. Then I opened a few commentaries specifically New Manners and Customs, Bible Knowledge Comm and Tyndale Comm. All three of the commentaries were also link set to A. The main commentaries had entries for most if not all of the verses I was studying; however, as you know the manners and custom is not as extensive in commenting on every verse.

My bible is in a Tab group by itself and the 3 commentaries are grouped together in a tab set.  I was studying Galatians and I could click on any of the two commentaries and I was pretty much in sync with my bible. However, when I clicked on the manners and custom, it was in Matthew- It had no comments on Galatians (where I was studying)- immediately all of the resources now pointed to Mathew.

In L3, this was avoided by the use of Parallel Resources. I could Right Arrow through favorite resources. I know I can still do the Right Arrow in L4 but it doesn't work the same. What I found, is when L4 hits the last resource the only way to set it back to my first or primary resource is to Left Arrow back through them all or close the tab and re-open the one I want. -Both of these options are time consuming.

So in the mean time, I figure I would open all the resources I want and manually click their tabs. But as you can see, if the resource doesn't have info on the topic or the verse, it now becomes the driver of the link set because it has the focus.

Even still, I can see great potential for the ability to set a "driver" for the link set even when the Parallel Resource feature is added and enhanced in L4.

Posts 260
Pastor Dan Cleghorn | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 18 2009 7:15 AM

In L3, this was avoided by the use of Parallel Resources. I could Right Arrow through favorite resources. I know I can still do the Right Arrow in L4 but it doesn't work the same. What I found, is when L4 hits the last resource the only way to set it back to my first or primary resource is to Left Arrow back through them all or close the tab and re-open the one I want. -Both of these options are time consuming.

I mentioned this in a previous post. When you search through twenty or so commentaries, it slows you way down when you have to click all the way back with the left arrow. I have found it easier just to go back to my original layout, even though I have to start over. Surely it could cycle through as in L3.

Posts 25276
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 18 2009 6:46 PM

Todd Anson Wilkins:
So in the mean time, I figure I would open all the resources I want and manually click their tabs. But as you can see, if the resource doesn't have info on the topic or the verse, it now becomes the driver of the link set because it has the focus.

The reason given for not having parallel resources as in L3 was precisely that - L4 provides more real estate (tabs) to open and link multiple resources! The disadvantages are immediately obvious, but we have to wait awhile.

Todd Anson Wilkins:
Even still, I can see great potential for the ability to set a "driver" for the link set even when the Parallel Resource feature is added and enhanced in L4.

It will operate through one tab as per L3, so a "Driver" would be the resource you started with - and maybe have a keyboard command to return to it.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 1646
SteveF | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 19 2009 1:20 PM

Working on the 2 core 2 Gg Ram  2. ghrz  laptop (NOT the P4 one core)

I find this new right-click version very frustrating. Some posters here are very intuitive, able to grasp L4 quickly etc. It is very hard to UN-learn L3.

Everything I try to do (governed by L3 expectations usually ends in SLOW moving parts or no movement at all (right clicking: I may be able to get to 1 or 2 new resources this way, never more that that). It is all so "hit and miss" after the click, click, click of L3.

I hope the Morris Proctor materials have more help because so far, unless I pick one book at a time - this is a glorious (yes its  BEAUTIFUL) to physically look at BUT I can probably pick the books off  my shelf and open the ones i need faster.

Partly the frustration is in L3 (and with the Proctor materials0 you knew there wer a certain grouping of books and that you could at least find everything available in them. Now the way the (lack of PRA's) books display (even with the + sign's list) you must continually go back into that menu to get the next book. And you had better keep the first list that populated because the next books+ is going to populate something different..

This new way seems geared to "lite" -2-3 books? 4-5? I would have screens of 20 -30 in L3 OR the proctor Tool icon combined with the PRA listing.

I've worked with this stuff for years...nowI feel like I'm wading trhough 'treacle.' (I'm going to turn off all the pretty "following' toys again.)

Sorry, but I really need to get out the sermon -- and very sadly,. I'm going to have to go back to L3 to do it. And that saddens me.

Steve

(A wan-a-be L4 user, but something is really missing. Pretty is one thing, but I need CONTROL as well as FASTER L4)

Regards, SteveF

Posts 2212
Damian McGrath | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 19 2009 4:39 PM

Stephen Filyer:
I find this new right-click version very frustrating.

There are elements of it that I find very frustrating too - I think that it's trying to be too smart - in v3, I could select "Son of Man," right click, go to the selected tex submenu and send it to Anchor Bible Dictionary and it would automatically open. In v4 - I can't do anything with a phrase. Plurals and Singulars cause all sorts of issues - for "Pharisee", I have to go to the "People" tab as the selection tab does not give me any bible dictionaries. Apostrophised words (Joakim's) produce nothing on a right cick.

I would love to be able to override the system searching for right clicking on certain datatypes...

Stephen Filyer:
Now the way the (lack of PRA's) books display (even with the + sign's list) you must continually go back into that menu to get the next book

At least we know that they're working on something here. But, I don't much like the new system - I also find it very slow and frustrating to keep opening a new tab and waiting for the lists to populate.

Posts 1646
SteveF | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 19 2009 6:40 PM

Thanks Damian, I'll keep trying.

But today I had no choice. A combination of circumstances meant that there was just no available time left to 'nurse' it along.

But I mean it when I say that it is "pretty." It is!

I've also ordered the 2 new Morris Proctor manuals. Hopefully he can bring a "bridge" from the "old" ways. I know I cannot "go back to Egypt" now that I have made it to the "promised land" of milk and honey (and very attractive Resource covers). (Hope that doesn't sound too sacrilegious).

Regards

Steve

Regards, SteveF

Posts 25276
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 19 2009 7:28 PM

Damian McGrath:
There are elements of it that I find very frustrating too - I think that it's trying to be too smart - in v3, I could select "Son of Man," right click, go to the selected tex submenu and send it to Anchor Bible Dictionary and it would automatically open. In v4 - I can't do anything with a phrase. Plurals and Singulars cause all sorts of issues - for "Pharisee", I have to go to the "People" tab as the selection tab does not give me any bible dictionaries. Apostrophised words (Joakim's) produce nothing on a right cick.

I'm frustrated with Morph Search (watch for a new thread). BUT in SR-5 I can:

• select and search for a phrase "son of man" (but nothing else, unlike L3)
  • select and search for Joakim's in NRSV

Don't understand what you mean about Pharisee and "People" tab!

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 2212
Damian McGrath | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 19 2009 11:41 PM

Dave,

I'm not talking about searching. I'm talking about what's automatically populated on the tabs for different data types.... I'd post screen shots but I'm sitting on a balcony on the Strand in Townsville. If you still don't know what I mean, I'll post piccies tomorrow.

Posts 25276
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 20 2009 3:54 AM

Damian McGrath:
I'm not talking about searching. I'm talking about what's automatically populated on the tabs for different data types.... I'd post screen shots but I'm sitting on a balcony on the Strand in Townsville.

Everybody's going AWOL - trust it is nice and steamy there.

I think I know, but you mention not being able to do anything for those two cases I referred to. As for Pharisee

You meant "Person" tab? But there are plenty of options all round... so what am I missing?

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 2212
Damian McGrath | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 20 2009 6:01 PM

Dave Hooton:
you mention not being able to do anything for those two cases

Badly phrased. I meant that I can't keylink a phrase.... obviously I can search, copy, and report a typo but there's no way to send a phrase to a preferred resource.

Wrt pharisee/pharisees, I was talking explicitly about the Selection tab....

These, it appears have to be hard-coded in some way. It used to be that parables (pl) produced only two suggestions: New American Standard Updated Edition Exhaustive Concordance of the Bible and Nave's Topical Bible. It now produces the same hits as parable (sing.). 

I would like to be able to set which resources I send data to from the "selection" tab. So for English datatypes, I would like to be able to send the phrase "Son of man" to ABD or Harpers etc. as in v3. Then, I am not reliant on someone from logos to identify every possible permutation of a word...

Posts 37
Jonathan Andrist | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 20 2009 10:22 PM

Have you tried prioritizing ABD or Harpers?...I see that they're already listed, but I think Logos 4 picks the first 5 resources that apply from your priority list to populate the table with.

Posts 2212
Damian McGrath | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 20 2009 10:26 PM

JonathanAndrist:

Have you tried prioritizing ABD or Harpers?...I see that they're already listed, but I think Logos 4 picks the first 5 resources that apply from your priority list to populate the table with.

Joanthon,

They're already prioritised. It's why they appear in the second list. The problem is not with my preferred resources, it's with the search tool - it's not fuzzy enough. The word on the selection tab has to exactly match something somewhere - that's why it works for pharisees but not pharisee, for Joakim but not Joakim's. 

Posts 25276
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 20 2009 11:21 PM

Damian McGrath:
They're already prioritised. It's why they appear in the second list. The problem is not with my preferred resources, it's with the search tool - it's not fuzzy enough.

The Lemmatised ESV will be produced in the future together with the Oxford Dictionary of English LemmasSmile

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 260
Pastor Dan Cleghorn | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 5 2009 8:10 AM

Does anyone know if it is possible, or if they are working on allowing you to cycle through your Bibles and  commentaries? I am reminded of this problem again now that I "right arrowed" my way to the end of my commentaries and could not get back to the first one with "left arrowing" all the way back.

Posts 129
Tom Blanchard | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 5 2009 12:44 PM

I agree; that was a nifty, helpful feature that I miss, too. 

Posts 5571
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 5 2009 12:56 PM

DanCleghorn:

Does anyone know if it is possible, or if they are working on allowing you to cycle through your Bibles and  commentaries? I am reminded of this problem again now that I "right arrowed" my way to the end of my commentaries and could not get back to the first one with "left arrowing" all the way back.

This is working in 4.0a beta2, but it scrolls through all my Bibles (including Greek, Peshita, etc.).

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS