Systematic Study Plan

Page 2 of 2 (30 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 29 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 495
Michael Kinch | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 10 2012 6:48 PM

Michael:

Michael,  when your plan is complete, would you mind sharing it?  I'd like to see how you have it put together. 

Yes Michael I will do that.  Does anyone know how long a post can be?  I suspect that when I have it together it may be fairly lengthy explaining each aspect of my study plan.  Maybe I should post with an attachment.

Posts 325
Robert Wazlavek | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 10 2012 8:56 PM

They can be pretty long.  You probably don't have to worry about it.  You could always split it into more than one post if you have to.

Posts 1880
Philana Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 10 2012 10:11 PM

Michael Kinch:

Michael:

Michael,  when your plan is complete, would you mind sharing it?  I'd like to see how you have it put together. 

Yes Michael I will do that.  Does anyone know how long a post can be?  I suspect that when I have it together it may be fairly lengthy explaining each aspect of my study plan.  Maybe I should post with an attachment.

If you use Evernote you can write your plan out and then share the link to only that note. Then it wouldn't be a long post. I have suggested this in the past to others who wish to share lengthy items (i.e. portion of a resource) but don't want to have long posts. I had someone request an article from AYBD on the Pharisees as it was multiple pages posting it as an Evernote saved considerable space.

Posts 495
Michael Kinch | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 11 2015 12:22 PM

It has been a while since I created this post and a lot has changed both with Logos and my personal studies.  We now have a number of Mobile Ed courses available and of course many more books and training resources.  I think I will revisit this and create a new plan.  Once again please feel free to post your suggestions or recommendations.

Posts 175
Michael | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 11 2015 1:18 PM

I would be interested in seeing your new plan.  I'm about to go through a mentorship process and I'm trying to collect my thoughts to put together what you've described.  Being a novice, I appreciate all the help I can get through this forum and elsewhere so I don't have to reinvent the wheel.

Posts 495
Michael Kinch | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 11 2015 1:38 PM

Thanks Michael.  Are you looking at mentoring someone or are you looking at being mentored? What is your primary focus?

Posts 175
Michael | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 15 2015 7:47 AM

Michael Kinch:

Thanks Michael.  Are you looking at mentoring someone or are you looking at being mentored? What is your primary focus?

I'm going to be mentored beginning in January.  The primary focus of the mentorship is growing in spiritual disciples and learning how to mature as a Christian and teach others the basics of daily living in the Word, spreading the Gospel, and making disciples so that they too may become mature Christians.  With that in mind, we will be going through Francis Chan's book "Multiply" to facilitate our weekly 2 hour meetings.  This is a one on one mentorship program.

In addition to this mentorship program, I've been trying to put together a list of books to go through myself with the purpose of growing in sound Bible study and helping others down the road with suggestions on where to start for non seminary students such as myself.

I'm considering picking up the following books to help me on my journey:

• How to Read the Bible for All Its Worth by Gordon Fee and Douglas Stuart
  • Exegetical Fallacies, Second Edition by DA Carson
  • Grasping God’s Word: A Hands-On Approach to Reading, Interpreting, and Applying the Bible, 3rd ed. (this one I'm unsure about as it may be duplicating effort with the previous 2 books that seem more accessible)

These books I would add along side a few that I'm already reading or have read

• The Canon of Scripture by FF Bruce
  • Everyone's a Theologian by RC Sproul
  • I Don't Have Enough Faith to be an Atheist by Frank Turek and Norman Geisler
  • The Four Hundred Silent Years by HA Ironside

I also have several systematic theology books as part of my Platinum bundle, but I'm not sure which one I'll start with or stick with.  It's somewhat of a daunting task going through this, but has been immensely fruitful for my personal growth.  Looking around at churches in my area I have not seen anyone put together a program to encourage and provide resources need for a more serious approach to sound Bible study.  I feel it's essential to providing a firm foundation to build both the correct motivation and disciplines need to daily Christian living as well as the resources needed to disciple and multiply.

I'm want faithfully carry out 2 Timothy 2:2 and Matthew 28:18-20 by leveraging the scholarship we have available to supplement daily reading of the Bible.

Posts 1174
Liam | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 15 2015 9:43 AM

Micheal, this is similar to what I'm doing.

I try to take an hour a day for the following:

Mon/Wed/Fri: Devotional Bible reading/prayer and journaling (and usually reading from the Valley of Vision devotional) (I consider this the most important of all of the following)

Tues: Studying and Arcing (see John Piper on this) one book of the Bible at a time (I've been in Romans for a long time now and it's been the most rewarding study of my life)

Thursday: Reading a devotional commentary on a book of the Bible (in Doddridge on the gospels right now (his Family Expositor has the best devotions and commentary I've ever seen combined in one resource) - eventually planning on taking Spurgeons advice and reading strait through Matthew Henry)

Sat: Reading carefully and prayerfully through the puritans with special focus on Jonathan Edwards (I love these guys!)

Sun: Reading books on how to read/study/think about the Bible (right now I'm studying Grasping God's Word and it is excellent) (Eventually this will be open for other workbooks and more hands on studies. I plan on learning Greek some day in the distant future ...hopefully)

All of the above are my sit and study topics/books. With books that are more just regular reading books I just read when I have spare time (whenever that is). I found the book Lit! by Tony Reinke very helpful for developing a plan for choosing which books to read and how and when to read them. My reading and study plans change and evolve frequently as I find that some things are or aren't working or helpful, but this is my current iteration (if that's a word).

Posts 495
Michael Kinch | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 15 2015 11:18 AM

Michael:

I'm going to be mentored beginning in January.  The primary focus of the mentorship is growing in spiritual disciples and learning how to mature as a Christian and teach others the basics of daily living in the Word, spreading the Gospel, and making disciples so that they too may become mature Christians.  With that in mind, we will be going through Francis Chan's book "Multiply" to facilitate our weekly 2 hour meetings.  This is a one on one mentorship program.

In addition to this mentorship program, I've been trying to put together a list of books to go through myself with the purpose of growing in sound Bible study and helping others down the road with suggestions on where to start for non seminary students such as myself.

I'm considering picking up the following books to help me on my journey:

• How to Read the Bible for All Its Worth by Gordon Fee and Douglas Stuart
  • Exegetical Fallacies, Second Edition by DA Carson
  • Grasping God’s Word: A Hands-On Approach to Reading, Interpreting, and Applying the Bible, 3rd ed. (this one I'm unsure about as it may be duplicating effort with the previous 2 books that seem more accessible)

These books I would add along side a few that I'm already reading or have read

• The Canon of Scripture by FF Bruce
  • Everyone's a Theologian by RC Sproul
  • I Don't Have Enough Faith to be an Atheist by Frank Turek and Norman Geisler
  • The Four Hundred Silent Years by HA Ironside

I also have several systematic theology books as part of my Platinum bundle, but I'm not sure which one I'll start with or stick with.  It's somewhat of a daunting task going through this, but has been immensely fruitful for my personal growth.  Looking around at churches in my area I have not seen anyone put together a program to encourage and provide resources need for a more serious approach to sound Bible study.  I feel it's essential to providing a firm foundation to build both the correct motivation and disciplines need to daily Christian living as well as the resources needed to disciple and multiply.

I'm want faithfully carry out 2 Timothy 2:2 and Matthew 28:18-20 by leveraging the scholarship we have available to supplement daily reading of the Bible.

Michael it sounds like you have a good plan.  With the platinum base package you will have a good selection of books. I am working on putting my plan together and will be posting something here soon. Please keep us updated on how your mentoring program progresses.

Posts 809
Cynthia in Florida | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 15 2015 2:08 PM

Philana Crouch:

You might also find these two books helpful as well:

Grasping God’s Word: A Hands-On Approach to Reading, Interpreting, and Applying the Bible

Preaching God’s Word

The Divine Mentor

They are all excellent books!

I STRONGLY recommend Grasping God's Word.  It's fantastic!

Cynthia

Romans 8:28-38

Page 2 of 2 (30 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS