Free: Attraction of the cross?

Page 2 of 3 (48 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 47 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 30 2012 3:10 PM

Corey Decker:

We apologize for the confusion this morning. We want to offer our users the best deal possible, so we decided to make Attraction of the Cross free regardless of the closing price—no need to get it down to $4.

The promotion works just like any other Community Pricing title. Everyone whose bid is at or above the closing bidding price will get the title for that price when it ships—only this time, it's free! 

Make sure your bid is going to be successful (raising it to match the going price) and spread the word to your friends. 

Bid raised plus shared with some friends.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 325
Michael | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 30 2012 3:11 PM

Corey Decker:

We apologize for the confusion this morning. We want to offer our users the best deal possible, so we decided to make Attraction of the Cross free regardless of the closing price—no need to get it down to $4.

The promotion works just like any other Community Pricing title. Everyone whose bid is at or above the closing bidding price will get the title for that price when it ships—only this time, it's free! 

Make sure your bid is going to be successful (raising it to match the going price) and spread the word to your friends. 

Let me know if you have any other questions. Thanks!

So I need to raise my bid to $18 to ensure I get it for free?

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 30 2012 3:24 PM

Corey Decker:

Let me know if you have any other questions. Thanks!

Thanks Corey,

Because of this, I moved my bid to $34.

Posts 737
Evan Boardman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 30 2012 4:22 PM

This promotion is to teach people how Community Pricing works..so if you bid lower than the going price, you will lose out on a freebie. The going price right now is $18. If you want this freebie fast, bid on $18.Smile

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 30 2012 4:29 PM

Evan Boardman:

This promotion is to teach people how Community Pricing works..so if you bid lower than the going price, you will lose out on a freebie. The going price right now is $18. If you want this freebie fast, bid on $18.Smile

If people will move their bids up to $34, it will even go faster.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 30 2012 4:35 PM

tom collinge:

Evan Boardman:

If people will move their bids up to $34, it will even go faster.

If enough Logos users bid $ 34, then the closing price could be $ 4 (that changes to free after closing for all bidders at or above closing price).

Logos Talk article => http://blog.logos.com/2012/05/get-a-free-book-and-learn-to-use-community-pricing/ has link => Attraction of the Cross

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 30 2012 4:54 PM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):

If enough Logos users bid $ 34, then the closing price could be $ 4 (that changes to free after closing for all bidders at or above closing price).

Logos Talk article => http://blog.logos.com/2012/05/get-a-free-book-and-learn-to-use-community-pricing/ has link => Attraction of the Cross

KS4J,

You might want to read the other posts and the blog.  This book is going to be free when it ships.  It doesn't have to have the $4 closing price.

Posts 325
Michael | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 30 2012 7:03 PM

I can see this promotion causing a lot of discord in the near future.  Those who bid $4 based upon the original offering are going to be upset when the book ships for free to those who bid $18. I really wish LOGOS would do a better job preparing for these "specials".  A little more preparation would save a lot of headaches later on. 

Posts 654
David Bailey | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 30 2012 7:24 PM

I'm in at $34.  I like this kind of consumer social experiment from Logos.  Smile  I hope they conduct more experiments like this, except mathematically, I can't prove that $34 = $0.

Maybe we will get 2 free books in June.

Posts 28125
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 30 2012 7:26 PM

I am not sure I understand your logic. A $34 bid helps $4 bidders only as much as a $4 bid, but could actually backfire. If enough bidders bid $34, it will close at $34 if there are not enough bidders at lower price points before it closes. Encouraging high bids just helps set the closing date sooner, not to lower the price.

Am I missing something?

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 30 2012 7:55 PM

tom collinge:

KS4J,

You might want to read the other posts and the blog.  This book is going to be free when it ships.  It doesn't have to have the $4 closing price.

Noticed this Community Pricing title has a Limited-time offer plus if existing bids were raised to $ 34, then would have nearly 100 % progress for closing:

Once 100 % progress is reached, more bids by Logos users would reduce projected closing price; hence potential for $ 4 (or less) if enough Logos users place their bids before closing time arrives (at Noon in Bellingham, WA on a Friday with a minimum of 48 hours between 100 % progress and closing).  To close at $ 4 would need 850 % more bids than number of $ 34 bids needed to cover 100 % of estimated production cost.  To close at $ 2 would need 1700 % more bids compared to number of $ 34 bids (twice as many bids as $ 4).

If 100 % progress is achieved during the Limited-time offer, then this resource would ship for free to all Logos users that have a bid amount equal to OR higher than the closing price.

Personally wonder how low can closing price go for this resource ?  If this does close at $ 2 (or lower), then marketing campaign to increase community bidding activity would be tremendously successful.  Also has longer term benefit for all Logos users to have more active community bidding since a number of resources are languishing from not enough bids.  From a Logos business perspective, increasing number of active community bidders is likewise attractive to expand number of high quality resources.

Note: this resource has 413 pages so has a bit less to digitize and do high quality spell checking compared to most community pricing resources; with less volume of work to produce a high quality Logos resource, suspect this resource could ship a bit sooner (i.e. few weeks).

Currently, my second highest prioritized commentary series is => The Cambridge Bible for Schools and Colleges (58 vols.) that was a community pricing resource, which closed on 24 June 2011, then shipped on 9 September 2011.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 28125
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 30 2012 8:20 PM

If 100 % progress is achieved during the Limited-time offer,

I think I understand now, although I don't really think there is any jeopardy of "time running out."

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 259
JC54 | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 1 2012 1:06 PM

well, lets push it the last small bit!

were around 80 percent at the moment!

Posts 737
Evan Boardman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 1 2012 1:45 PM

Well folks the ad says for a limited time it's for free, so why are people bidding lower than $18?

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 1 2012 2:35 PM

Evan Boardman:

Well folks the ad says for a limited time it's for free, so why are people bidding lower than $18?

a bid at $18 is also a bid for $16, $14, $12,...  If everyone who bid will move up their bid to $32, it will be already cross the finish line.

Posts 4842
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 2 2012 12:03 AM

This is great for getting people to use CP for the first time...but it is likely to cause them some confusion, seeing as it is already causing grizzled CP vets some confusion as well.

Here's the deal as I see it. Because this book is going out the door for free as soon as it crosses the line, then it really only makes sense to bid the highest possible price-point, since bidding lower will possibly keep you from getting the book at all. EVERYONE who wants this book should bid the max amount. Of course, that means it will trigger faster than usual, and as a result, Logos may not get as many people to participate in this offer as they would like.

Because the price at which it triggers for production in this case isn't the price paid (which is $0), this promotion doesn't exactly teach users how CP normally works...it only gets newbies to CP to "pull the trigger" and feel good for doing so. Since this offering is free, choosing the max cost is the wisest decision because it helps the item trigger faster and you won't miss out by offering a lower but "unsuccessful" bid.

Posts 737
Evan Boardman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 2 2012 3:10 AM

David Paul:
and you won't miss out by offering a lower but "unsuccessful" bid.

David Paul, I hope you don't read the Bible the way you read ads.

The ad says     "Limited-time offer: If your bid is at or above the closing price, we'll give you Attraction of the Cross for free when it ships! '

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 2 2012 3:29 AM

Evan Boardman:

David Paul:

The ad says     "Limited-time offer: If your bid is at or above the closing price, we'll give you Attraction of the Cross for free when it ships! '

And if a person's bid is below the closing price, you will not get it for free.  Therefore, everyone who bid $4 is below the going price right now.  If the price does not get to or below $4, they will not get the resource for free.  If you bid the max, you will.

What David said was true.

Posts 103
Bethany Wilson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 2 2012 3:40 AM

David Paul:
choosing the max cost is the wisest decision because it helps the item trigger faster and you won't miss out by offering a lower but "unsuccessful" bid.

Evan Boardman:

Evan, text without context is pretext. I took David's message to mean that you won't "miss out by offering a lower but unsuccessful bid" if you bid higher. Which is logical.

Edit: Sorry Tom, just saw your post. *red face*

parkbench234 AT gmail DOT com

Posts 10421
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 2 2012 3:52 AM

tom collinge:

Evan Boardman:

David Paul:

And if a person's bid is below the closing price, you will not get it for free.  Therefore, everyone who bid $4 is below the going price right now.  If the price does not get to or below $4, they will not get the resource for free.  If you bid the max, you will.

What David said was true.

Yep. 

On the other hand I'm glad that the resource has a somewhat mid-curve going price, and the "typical" curve shape with a slow ascent to the going price and a steep fall afterwards so the people who meet CP for the first time will experience the green/red feature and most probably a price falling after it crossed the threshold.

Even though David is right that in the special circumstance of this offer - where bidding high doesn't cost us money - the most logical step would be bidding max for everyone, I think it is better for the purpose of teaching newcomers that the going price remained stable (and I'm in at the going price).

The small bump at $4 comes from the time before Logos changed their mind about giving it for free regardless of the price it crosses over.

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Page 2 of 3 (48 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS