Uprade to 4 Options...

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 128
Derek | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Nov 16 2009 9:08 PM

I live and work overseas, and my budget is very limited and dependent on others, but Libronix is essential to my work.

I don't have any funds to upgrade till next year...  If I just upgrade to the engine for Logos 4, will I lose functionality?  I have the leader's library...

I hope to do the Minimal upgrade ($69) next spring... For now, that's all I can afford in our situation...

Can I do this, or will I lose something in the process?

Thanks!

Posts 726
Chris Elford | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 16 2009 9:28 PM

Derek:

I live and work overseas, and my budget is very limited and dependent on others, but Libronix is essential to my work.

I don't have any funds to upgrade till next year...  If I just upgrade to the engine for Logos 4, will I lose functionality?  I have the leader's library...

I hope to do the Minimal upgrade ($69) next spring... For now, that's all I can afford in our situation...

Thanks!

Derek,

You won't lose anything.

First, you can keep using L3 - at the same time as L4 if you want. Some features of L3 either aren't available in L4 yet or don't have an equivalent yet. (Notes aren't able to be transfered yet, for example.)

Second, all your resources in L3 will be available in L4. Some aren't fully optimized yet but will be over the next few months.

Third, you can work offline as long as you need/want and connect only when you want - although there are a few things that won't work without Internet (updates on you home page from Logos' server) there is a post somewhere of what is lost - nothing significant to Bible searching - You will need to connect from time to time or get Logos to mail you a disk from time to time (will cost $) to get updates to resources and the program (including some features that will be added/upgraded in the next few months) - If that's a problem.

So, you can get the free engine now, do a minimal upgrade in a while and a more substantial crossgrade or upgrade as you are able.

Chris

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 16 2009 10:23 PM

Derek:

Thanks!

As Chris said, you can update to Logos4 and still keep Logos3. But you should know that Logos4 requires an internet connection to install, and an initial download can be several gigabytes. If internet access is limited, or if you have datacaps, you may want to take that into account when deciding whether Logos4 is for you right now. One option (I think), if you purchase a crossgrade, is to get Logos4 by DVD, but only you know what sort of duty you'd have to pay for that. Even then, you'd probably need an internet connection to activate Logos4, and that internet connection may begin an automatic update of several megabytes (if not gigabytes).

One other consideration is the minimum specs for Logos4. Be sure to check them out. Click on the "Click Here for more information" (twice) to get to the link to the FAQ that gives the system specs. Several have found that, even though they more than meet the minimum specs, they're still having some trouble. And while Logos is working to resolve these issues, it will probably require more substantial downloads. If that's not an issue for you, great. But I want you to have all the information you need to make a decision that fits your circumstances.

BTW, if you decide to continue with Libronix for now, you can continue to get support for it from Logos and on these forums.

May God bless you in your work. (Heb 13:20-21)

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 25826
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 16 2009 10:40 PM

Rich has presented the cons very comprehensively, and I tend to think they outweigh the pros in your situation!

One item you may lose is the SESB Syntax Databases as Logos have not yet converted them and no timeframe was given (if SESB is a meaningless acronym then you don't have it!).

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 128
Derek | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 17 2009 1:19 AM

Thanks everyone, I think I will wait for now...

Peace.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS