Discrepency in Book count between Win XP & Win 7 installs

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
This post has 13 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 692
Otto S. Carroll | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Nov 16 2009 10:50 PM

I originally installed Logos 4 on a Windows XP virtual machine (VMware Fusion 3) that also has my Logos 3 installation. My Logos 4 resource count (on XP) is 4377. This past weekend, I "upgraded" Win XP to Win 7 (basically a clean install of Win 7) and eventually installed Logos 4. Now my book count is 4308, 69 less than my Windows XP installed.

I now know that 59 of the missing resources are of the old Logos 2-LIX/LSF format. I'm not sure of the remaining 10 missing resources; I'm guessing that they are also from that same era of Logos Library System books. Apparently when I installed Logos 4 on XP, it download 4308 books that I own of the Logos3/Logos4 format and imported 69 books of the ancient format from my Logos 3 installed. And since there was no Logos 3 on my Windows 7, Logos 4 just installed the books I have from the server. Then I WRONGLY assumed that just copying and pasting the missing books into my Windows 7 Logos 4 install would trigger an indexing of the LIX/LSF resources and add them to my library!!!

So my question is, "How do I get my Logos 4 on Windows 7 to recognize my old LIX/LSF resources? I hoping for something well short of starting all over by installing Logos 3 first in Windows 7 followed by installing Logos 4 again!!! Wink

(by the way I'm still running my XP virtual machine, just in case there is a file or folder I could copy from Logos 4 there to Logos 4 on Win 7...)

15" rMBP 2.6 GHz i7 | 16 GB RAM | 1.0 TB Flash Drive | OS X 10.12.3 | Logos 7.0 (7.3.0.0062)

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 16 2009 11:00 PM

OttoSCarroll:
So my question is, "How do I get my Logos 4 on Windows 7 to recognize my old LIX/LSF resources? I hoping for something well short of starting all over by installing Logos 3 first in Windows 7 followed by installing Logos 4 again!!!

Logos4 cannot read LIX/LSF resources. As far as Logos knows all of them have been converted to LBXLLS books. If that's not the case for you yet, run the logos update script here, and see if it finds replacements for those old resources:

http://www.logos.com/media/update/ResourceAutoUpdate.lbxupd

After running the script, if any resources are updated, be sure to sync your licenses again. If that doesn't resolve the issue, you'll have to take it up with Logos support.

As far as resource count goes, besides the LIX/LSF resources, take out of the count all the Logos helpfiles (lbxoeb) and PBB's (many also lbxoeb). Then take into account that most reverse interlinears came in two varieties in Libronix (e.g ESV and ESV rev int), but in Logos all the reverse interlinears are combined so that you have only one copy where you had two in Libronix.

But wait, it gets more confusing because you have to add some resources in L4 that were add-ins in L3, plus some other new resources you may have gotten with your crossgrade or upgrade.

It's all a bit confusing, and so far we don't have a bibliography report in L4 to compare against L3. We hope it's being considered, but I don't remember seeing any promise from Logos to give us one.

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 2212
Damian McGrath | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 16 2009 11:28 PM

Richard DeRuiter:
Logos4 cannot read LIX/LSF resources.

yes it can. That's how I have Oxford Bible Commentary

Posts 692
Otto S. Carroll | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 16 2009 11:35 PM

Logos 4 DOES read LIX/LSF - in fact, as I write this I'm reading the "Ages Software Overview Guide," which is in my Logos 4 resource folder as "AGESSOVB.LIX/LSF." Most books have been converted, but there remain a few that have not been - I still have them!!! hahaha And I somewhere I read a restatement of Logos' commitment of keeping their software backward compatible as far as books are concerned.

It would be a SHAME not to have a Bibliography report in Logos 4!!! In Logos 3 I have always kept an up-to-date one (as well as my Account Summary) in pdf format. It is most valuable of associating names and book files. I can't believe they won't include this feature in Logos 4!!!

So is there any way the force my Win 7 install to recognize my LIX/LSF books without reinstalling Logos 3 first?

15" rMBP 2.6 GHz i7 | 16 GB RAM | 1.0 TB Flash Drive | OS X 10.12.3 | Logos 7.0 (7.3.0.0062)

Posts 653
Alex Scott | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 17 2009 1:15 AM

OttoSCarroll:
It would be a SHAME not to have a Bibliography report in Logos 4!!! In Logos 3 I have always kept an up-to-date one (as well as my Account Summary) in pdf format. It is most valuable of associating names and book files. I can't believe they won't include this feature in Logos 4!!!

That's been a pet peeve of mine for the same reason.  For some reason they do NOT want you to be able to print out a list of your library for comparison purposes.  You can't even get the courtesy of an answer from Bob or anyone else as to WHY NOT.

Longtime Logos user (more than $30,000 in purchases) - now a second class user because I won't pay them more every month or year.

Posts 2212
Damian McGrath | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 17 2009 1:35 AM

OttoSCarroll:
So is there any way the force my Win 7 install to recognize my LIX/LSF books without reinstalling Logos 3 first?

copy the files you know are missing on to an external drive.

Type into your Win7 intall's command bar "Scan e:\path\to\resources"

Close. restart.

Posts 692
Otto S. Carroll | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 17 2009 6:49 AM

Thanks Damian - I'll give it a shot.

Posts 13413
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 17 2009 7:58 AM

Alex Scott:
That's been a pet peeve of mine for the same reason.  For some reason they do NOT want you to be able to print out a list of your library for comparison purposes.  You can't even get the courtesy of an answer from Bob or anyone else as to WHY NOT.

I don't think that's true. Bob's shown good interest in getting the bibliographic report back. See here and here.

Posts 653
Alex Scott | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 17 2009 9:03 AM

Mark Barnes:
Bob's shown good interest in getting the bibliographic report back. See here and here.

Thanks Mark, for the information and the links.  It's so hard to keep up with all the posts now with so many on so many subjects.

Longtime Logos user (more than $30,000 in purchases) - now a second class user because I won't pay them more every month or year.

Posts 692
Otto S. Carroll | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 17 2009 5:47 PM

Damian McGrath:

Close. restart.

Thanks again Damian - that did the trick.

Is there an exhaustive list of commands can be used in the command bar??? Seems like Logos 4 is designed to be run from there, as there is very little of a user interface (like a "Menu" bar) to navigate from...

Posts 2212
Damian McGrath | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 17 2009 5:59 PM

OttoSCarroll:
Is there an exhaustive list of commands can be used in the command bar???

Try...

http://wiki.logos.com/Logos_4_Commands

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 17 2009 6:12 PM

OttoSCarroll:
Logos 4 DOES read LIX/LSF - in fact, as I write this I'm reading the "Ages Software Overview Guide," which is in my Logos 4 resource folder as "AGESSOVB.LIX/LSF."

Huh. And, I've got one too (Logos Bible Software Instant Expert Guide), with a Logos address on Fidalgo Ave, in Oak Harbor. (I had to look at it through notepad to figure out which resources it was).

I was going by something I read early on in the Beta process. These forums are too hard to search to find out if I was wrong, or just didn't get a new functionality that was added.

Okay, I was wrong. Not the first time, not the last.

(somebody pass me a slice of humble pie, please.)

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 692
Otto S. Carroll | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 17 2009 7:23 PM

It's all good, my brother!!! I appreciate you responding to me a quickly as you did - with Logos 4, there's something new to learn everyday for all of us!!!

God bless!!!

Posts 2801
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 17 2009 7:54 PM

Damian McGrath:

OttoSCarroll:

copy the files you know are missing on to an external drive.

Close. restart.

I'm having to re-download as we speak because that didn't work for me.

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS