Hoping to hear good news

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 11
William Brannan | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Nov 17 2009 8:52 AM

I do not consider myself a "power user" but I am definately an avid user of logos.  At a minimum I use it to read every day. Because I primarily use a laptop on which hard drive space is limited, I deleted version 3 after installing version 4.  I often find myself booting up a desktop system which still has version 3 on it because of the limitations of version 4.  While I love many of the additions to logos 4, there are some things that make it practically unusable. 

1.  The search results panel:  I imagine that most people who have a resonable sized library often end up with a phenominal amount of results.  It is too time consuming under the current layout to browse through them.  I WOULD LOVE TO HAVE OPTIONS TO VIEW THE RESULTS IN DIFFERENT FORMATS.  Even the format of version 3 would be a great improvement.  (Remove the pictures of the books and allow the option to expand and collapse results of individual books.)  Many times when I was studying a topic, the topic browser came up short and I searched my whole library.  then i quickly examined the types of results different books gave me.  When a book gave promising results at an initial glance I would study it further.  I found some amazing things this way from books that I would not leave in a self made collection.

2.  Layouts:  While they look good and are simple to use in logos 4, there is one thing that would make them even better:  ALLOW PEOPLE TO DRAG A TIME CREATED LAYOUT FROM THE RIGHT SIDE OVER TOP OF A NAMED LAYOUT ON THE LEFT SIDE TO UPDATE THE NAMED LAYOUT.  I generally read through books of the Bible one at a time with differnt resources open with the book.  I usually have 2-3 books I am studying and when I am done I would like to save it at the point that I have ended at, and pick up again at the same place when I begin to study it again.  For example, right now I am reading through leviticus, psalms and acts.  I would like to end each session and have the ending point as a layout using that name.  Right now if I do that, I end up with multiple layouts all with the same name or have to delete the last one.

3.  Bible in all versions:  I assume this is a feature that will be coming but would like to hear for sure.  While the compare bible versions is great, sometimes I need to scroll through and look at how a particular verse is translated in all of the bibles.  (I needed to boot up the other computer for this just the other day.)

4.  Search builders:  Since most people who use the program are not power users, it would be great to have a popout tool to help build anything that currently requires code.  This includes searches, especially morph and syntax and building collections .  Either that, or a way better help file.  A user should not have to look through forums and videos to get the answers.  Also, if someone does not use a function regularly they will probably forget what they need to type. 

P.S.  Right now I am trying to build a collection starting with everything and removing items such as bibles using the ANDNOT function, but I haven't figured out how to start with everything.  I have tried wildcards, etc.  I am sure there is a way to do it, but I can't figure it out. (Any help?)  A builder or better help file would be great.

There are also many other things that I personally hope will be in the final version of this software but these are just 4 things that are immediately a nuiscance.  I would be completely happy if I discover that just these 4 things will be added to the software. 

Hoping for good news.

William Brannan

Pastor, Author, Speaker

www.missionharvest.org

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 17 2009 8:56 AM

WilliamBrannan:
3.  Bible in all versions:  I assume this is a feature that will be coming but would like to hear for sure.  While the compare bible versions is great, sometimes I need to scroll through and look at how a particular verse is translated in all of the bibles.  (I needed to boot up the other computer for this just the other day.)

All you have to do is create a collection of all your Bibles, then set the Text Comparison window to this collection. Make sure its set to "vertical" though or you will end up with VERY tiny columns.

WilliamBrannan:
P.S.  Right now I am trying to build a collection starting with everything and removing items such as bibles using the ANDNOT function, but I haven't figured out how to start with everything.  I have tried wildcards, etc.  I am sure there is a way to do it, but I can't figure it out. (Any help?)  A builder or better help file would be great.

Start with rating:>=0. Since everything in the library is rated from 0 to 5 by you (when you click on the stars) it will return everything.

Posts 11
William Brannan | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 17 2009 9:03 AM

Thanks, that is very helpful.  I do imagine that some people might not appreciate such puzzles to do something so simple.

William Brannan

Pastor, Author, Speaker

www.missionharvest.org

Posts 9539
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 17 2009 9:26 AM

WilliamBrannan:
1.  The search results panel:  I imagine that most people who have a resonable sized library often end up with a phenominal amount of results.  It is too time consuming under the current layout to browse through them.  I WOULD LOVE TO HAVE OPTIONS TO VIEW THE RESULTS IN DIFFERENT FORMATS.  Even the format of version 3 would be a great improvement.  (Remove the pictures of the books and allow the option to expand and collapse results of individual books.)  Many times when I was studying a topic, the topic browser came up short and I searched my whole library.  then i quickly examined the types of results different books gave me.  When a book gave promising results at an initial glance I would study it further.  I found some amazing things this way from books that I would not leave in a self made collection.

There has been a great deal of discussion of the search weaknesses in 4.0. Even using a collection often does not help get the results one wants. There is just too much information regardless if you show the results as ranked or by book. It really doesn't matter that we can get all these results much faster than we did in 3.0. There is way too much to go through even in a small collecion of books.

There may be an improvement coming in the way search results are presented, allowing for the collapsible results that you have suggested. While that will help, there are other limitations that need to be overcome. Currently L4 has no way to search article headings or head terms. Sometimes that's all we might want, and it would limit the results greatly, but there is not a way to do this right now. It is being worked on but it looks like it is in the distant future.

I think honestly that 3.0 is going to stay on a lot of machines not just because of some features that are not yet in 4.0, but for usability reasons like this.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 9539
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 17 2009 9:33 AM

WilliamBrannan:
2.  Layouts:  While they look good and are simple to use in logos 4, there is one thing that would make them even better:  ALLOW PEOPLE TO DRAG A TIME CREATED LAYOUT FROM THE RIGHT SIDE OVER TOP OF A NAMED LAYOUT ON THE LEFT SIDE TO UPDATE THE NAMED LAYOUT.  I generally read through books of the Bible one at a time with differnt resources open with the book.  I usually have 2-3 books I am studying and when I am done I would like to save it at the point that I have ended at, and pick up again at the same place when I begin to study it again.  For example, right now I am reading through leviticus, psalms and acts.  I would like to end each session and have the ending point as a layout using that name.  Right now if I do that, I end up with multiple layouts all with the same name or have to delete the last one.

If you rename a snapshot with the name of an existing layout it will simply update that layout. If you are not careful and name it something a little different you will end up with two similarly named layouts. Capitalizing words makes a difference. Layout One and Layout one are two different layouts.

The drag and drop feature would be nice, but you can get what you want by renaming a current snapshot in the Layouts panel.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 17 2009 9:40 AM

WilliamBrannan:
I do imagine that some people might not appreciate such puzzles to do something so simple.

I agree. they syntax for filtering collections needs to be made more user friendly somehow.

Posts 1666
SteveF | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 17 2009 4:48 PM

Even to standardize the term <My tags> versus the search term <mytag>

My lack of sanctification prohibits me from commenting on the frustration that one causes me.

Steve

Regards, SteveF

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS