How DO I Move My Entire Logos to a Different Hard Drive

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
This post has 11 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 502
Randall Hartman | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Jun 12 2012 12:38 PM

My computer has a C and a D drive.  My C drive is nearly full.  With the recent download of new books I get a message that "indexing has stopped" due to insufficient memory.  The message suggests I free up some space--easy to say but hard to do.  I wonder if I can just move the entire kit and kaboodle to the other drive?!

TX

Posts 28469
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 12 2012 12:45 PM

Garrett - unrelated to your question, but I have always found that computers work best when the HD has room to breathe. In my opinion, it is best to keep the HD at under 60% full.

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 9224
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 12 2012 12:49 PM

You can move all of it. You'll need to reinstall onto the D: drive and you can use the instructions for loading Logos onto multiple computers found here (use Method 2):

http://wiki.logos.com/Quick_Installation_onto_multiple_computers

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 25825
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 12 2012 3:52 PM

Garrett Mercury:
The message suggests I free up some space--easy to say but hard to do.

Hopefully, you understand that you can use Logos4 on C: drive as the backup for Method 2 (above). After reinstalling you can safely delete the Logos4 folder on C:, and then make even more space available on that drive for the Windows System to operate efficiently.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 502
Randall Hartman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 13 2012 5:25 AM

Well, all of this is basically outside my area of expertise!  Thanks for all the suggestions.  I plan on trying to make the switch in a day or so.

BTW, for the record, I just checked: my C drive capacity is 100GB and I have 616MB of free space remaining.  I guess that's not good...

Posts 6610
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 13 2012 5:29 AM

Garrett Mercury:
BTW, for the record, I just checked: my C drive capacity is 100GB and I have 616MB of free space remaining.  I guess that's not good..

Make the move and free up space as soon as possible Garrett. You are setting up for a crash.

Lynden Williams Communications https://www.lyndenwilliams.net 

Posts 25825
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 13 2012 6:05 PM

Garrett Mercury:
Well, all of this is basically outside my area of expertise!  Thanks for all the suggestions.  I plan on trying to make the switch in a day or so.

To clarify what I said and ensure you have a backup:-

• Rename the \Logos4 folder on C: drive eg. to \oldLogos4 (this is your backup)
  • Uninstall Logos Bible Software 4 in Control Panel > Programs and Features
  • Install using Method 2 with the folders in \oldLogos4 (just enter D:\ as the install location)
  • when it is working on D: drive you can remove \oldLogos4 on C:

Garrett Mercury:
my C drive capacity is 100GB and I have 616MB of free space remaining. 

You should have at least 10 GB free after the steps above, but you need to have a total of 20-25 GB free for Windows to work efficiently. Start by emptying your Recycle Bin.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 46
Terry Roberts | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 15 2012 10:44 PM

Aloha and good evening.

As part of my job, I assess computer networks aboard Naval vessels.  During the assessment, one of the things I check for is a minimum of 20% free disk space and less than 10% fragmentation on servers.

Posts 28469
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 16 2012 5:07 AM

Terry:
one of the things I check for is a minimum of 20% free disk space and less than 10% fragmentation on servers.

+1

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 164
Rick Harrell | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 18 2012 1:58 PM

In the Method 2 instructions on the Wiki is the line:

enter scan <path to backup resources> in the Command box

What does "path to backup resources" refer to?

Thanks

Posts 25825
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 18 2012 6:56 PM

Rick Harrell:

enter scan <path to backup resources> in the Command box

What does "path to backup resources" refer to?

The last line of Method 2 (under Note)  states

<path to backup resources> -> ...\Logos4\Data\randomId\ResourceManager\Resources

For your backup on C: the full path is C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\oldLogos4\Data\randomId\ResourceManager\Resources, assuming you renamed the \Logos4 folder to \oldLogos4 as I suggested. The command you enter in the Command box is:-

scan C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\oldLogos4\Data\randomId\ResourceManager\Resources

(substitute the actual values for username and  randomId).

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 164
Rick Harrell | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 20 2012 9:19 AM

Thanks Dave - after replacing my 64g ssd with a 128, and transferring Logos back to my C drive (the ssd) Logos is much more responsive (especially notes) 

Thanks to all for the help with this project.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS