Multiple Monitors

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 10
Brian R. Oberg | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Jun 12 2012 2:42 PM

I have two additional monitors attached to my laptop giving me three screens.  I'd like to float two separate windows to the two monitors giving me three different views.  Currently the two monitors receive the same floating windows essentially giving me only two different views making the second attached monitor exactly the same as the first.  Could someone help me configure the laptop so the third screen can receive a separate floating window giving me three views on three screens?

Posts 1
Steve Squibb | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 12 2012 3:44 PM

Does your graphics card support three monitors.  Most don't and laptop graphics cards are usually not that versatile.  If you can get two seperate views out of yours your doing prety well.  Also what interfaces are you using VGA, DVi, HDMI?

Posts 3148
LogosEmployee
Thomas Ball | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 12 2012 4:33 PM

In addition: Logos 4 often doesn't play nice with monitors connected via USB devices. 

Posts 1957
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 12 2012 5:12 PM

It will work if you have 3 discreet outputs.  The way you can check is right click on the desktop and go to "screen resolution" at the bottom of the menu that pops up (assuming Windows 7 or Vista).  If you see 3 monitors under "Change the appearance of your displays" then you have three discreet outputs.  You would then click on each one and use the dropdown box at the bottom to select "Extend desktop to this display" for each. 

For XP, I think it was right click, and then go to "preferences," and then maybe resolution or something similar. 

It sounds like you might have 2 discreet outputs, and then you have split one of them externally.  In this case, you will not be able to make all 3 different.

I use three monitors off of two video cards and it works great.

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 1957
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 12 2012 5:15 PM

I did read your post again and notice that you are on a laptop, but the information should ultimately be the same.

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 10
Brian R. Oberg | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 13 2012 6:22 AM

Thank you Joseph.  It appears I only have two discreet outputs on my laptop.  One monitor is equipped with a DVi input.  Would that make any difference or is it all in the graphics card?  Brian Oberg (:-}).

Posts 10
Brian R. Oberg | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 13 2012 6:25 AM

Thank you Steve.  One monitor has both VGA and DVi inputs.  Currently both monitors are on one VGA spliced output.  The graphics card appears to support only two displays.  Any other suggestions?  Brian Oberg (:-}).

Posts 21701
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 13 2012 6:50 AM

Hi Brian

Brian R. Oberg:
Currently both monitors are on one VGA spliced output.  The graphics card appears to support only two displays.

This will only allow you to have two separate displays using this card.

Brian R. Oberg:
Any other suggestions?

Some people have used USB-connected monitors - you might want to have a look at http://community.logos.com/forums/p/9393/74743.aspx#74743 for a discussion on this.

Graham

Posts 8601
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 13 2012 7:35 AM

Tommy Ball:

In addition: Logos 4 often doesn't play nice with monitors connected via USB devices. 

I think that this is old information. Earlier the displaylink based drivers had problems with WPF but that was fixed well over a year ago. I've been running a third USB monitor for much longer than that now with no issues.

Truth Is Still Truth Even if You Don't Believe It

Check the Wiki

Warning: Sarcasm is my love language. I may inadvertently express my love to you.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS