Page 1 of 8 (146 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
This post has 145 Replies | 14 Followers

Posts 97
Paul | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Nov 17 2009 1:37 PM

Is there any future with downloading to a Kindle?

Paul

Paul

Posts 106
Rob Suggs | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 17 2009 1:45 PM

I love my Kindle, but I would think that at present it's not the best medium for Logos. Just too limited in how you can work with the information there. It's built for reading, and it's great for that. On the other hand, Kindle will certainly evolve, and there are a multitude of other e-readers coming out as we speak, many with color and more functionality. As Logos becomes more cloud-based in the future, I would expect us to be able to access it in many ways. The iPhone app is surely just the beginning, though I believe a big screen will always be best for really getting the Logos experience.

Posts 490
R. Mansfield | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 17 2009 1:50 PM

Apple's inevitable forthcoming much-rumored tablet will play a big role and possibly change e-readers much like the iPhone did for cell phones.

Here's an interesting concept:

http://www.cultofmac.com/how-would-apple-change-publishing-heres-one-theory/21225

RMansfield@mac.com
http://thislamp.com 
youtube.com/user/rfmansfield
twitter/thislamp
facebook.com/rmansfield

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 17 2009 1:53 PM

The Kindle is a closed system. Amazon is unlikely to support reading books on it that they didn't sell you. Notice that the most common format for public domain ebooks is not supported by the Kindle (if my memory is correct)

Posts 2643
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 17 2009 6:02 PM

Kevin Becker:

The Kindle is a closed system. Amazon is unlikely to support reading books on it that they didn't sell you. Notice that the most common format for public domain ebooks is not supported by the Kindle (if my memory is correct)

That's actually not true at all.  All you have to do to read on a kindle is have it in a format that is supported including word doc, rtf, epub, pdf.  If Logos wanted to and could get publisher rights to (the bigger hurdle) have an export to feature and let you choose one of those. I create stuff to read on my kindle all the time.  I have a nice black leather folder for mine so when I did a wedding I send my wedding outline to it and bumped up the type and it went great.  I have some text documents that I have converted into epub and read them on the Kindle.  This doable. The only hurdles are ...

1. Logos being willing to engineer their software for it.

2. Publishers being wlling to give them the rights to do it.

Number 1 is not a problem for the fine folks in Washington.  I know they could do it. And since they are working on #2 for iPhone, why not go two for one with the Kindle?

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 17 2009 6:35 PM

Kevin A. Purcell:

That's actually not true at all.  All you have to do to read on a kindle is have it in a format that is supported including word doc, rtf, epub, pdf.  If Logos wanted to and could get publisher rights to (the bigger hurdle) have an export to feature and let you choose one of those. I create stuff to read on my kindle all the time.  I have a nice black leather folder for mine so when I did a wedding I send my wedding outline to it and bumped up the type and it went great.  I have some text documents that I have converted into epub and read them on the Kindle.  This doable. The only hurdles are ...

1. Logos being willing to engineer their software for it.

2. Publishers being wlling to give them the rights to do it.

Number 1 is not a problem for the fine folks in Washington.  I know they could do it. And since they are working on #2 for iPhone, why not go two for one with the Kindle?

Not being a Kindle owner, I forgot about the other files it supports, my bad. Embarrassed

You've gotten the Kindle to read epub? Everything I've read says the Kindle doesn't support epub.

Either way, I apologize for speaking w/out fact-checking what were a set of incomplete impressions.

Posts 2643
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 17 2009 6:49 PM

You are right. Not epub but pbd I think. I have not done it in a long time as the last few that I put on there were just text that I opened in Word and then emailed them that way.

Posts 37
Nick Pisciotti | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 17 2009 8:11 PM

Logos needs its own branded reader. It seems like people want it to run like an OS anyway. 

Posts 44
A.A. van der Leij | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 18 2009 1:14 AM

I'm hoping there will be an e-reader for Logos soon, that's why I have currently not bought one yet. I'm afraid I will spent a lot of money on something, and then I need to buy something else for Logos.

The consequence is that I also don't know a lot about these e-readers.

But when I read the comments here, I'm thinkig  very simple; go into a book, press Ctrl-A, (which makes you select the whole text) and then simply copy and paste it in word, and then import it in yoyr e-reader? Is this a strange thougth? Am I missing something?

Now, off course we would all love for the links to other books to work as well, but I expect that this will never be possible in an e-reader, or am I wrong? I guess that if we want this, we need to use a tablet pc?

I'm currious to hear your thoughts?

Mat 6:33

Posts 112
BS | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 18 2009 1:36 AM

I was just telling my wife that it would be nice to download Logos books onto the Kindle for relaxed reading.  If this doesn't happen I'll just wait for the Crunchpad to finally come out.

Posts 2643
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 18 2009 2:07 PM

AAvanderLeij:

I'm hoping there will be an e-reader for Logos soon, that's why I have currently not bought one yet. I'm afraid I will spent a lot of money on something, and then I need to buy something else for Logos.

The consequence is that I also don't know a lot about these e-readers.

But when I read the comments here, I'm thinkig  very simple; go into a book, press Ctrl-A, (which makes you select the whole text) and then simply copy and paste it in word, and then import it in yoyr e-reader? Is this a strange thougth? Am I missing something?

Now, off course we would all love for the links to other books to work as well, but I expect that this will never be possible in an e-reader, or am I wrong? I guess that if we want this, we need to use a tablet pc?

I'm currious to hear your thoughts?

Hmm. Sounds like a good idea. Unfortunately, format shifting of copyrighted content is technically illegal. But I doubt the police will be knocking down the door.

Posts 376
Dan Sheppard | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 18 2009 6:11 PM

One idea for those of you, who attend a church with those big-screen TVs.

Hook up your iPhone to them and you get large enough font for the oldest lady in the back row, to be able to read it.  The only problem, is that if your screens are hooked up to WiFi, it could play havoc with your service and your pastor's sermon, if everyone tries it during the service.  But I bet on a Monday night, there are few people trying to "logon".

Posts 687
Jon | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 19 2009 3:23 AM

Kevin A. Purcell:
Unfortunately, format shifting of copyrighted content is technically illegal. But I doubt the police will be knocking down the door.

This obviously will depend on your jurisdiction, in Australian copyright legislation this is explicitly allowed (as I read it - not a lawyer Big Smile).

Under US law wouldn't this be justifiable as Fair Use? It is different to format-shifting eg a DVD, where you breach the DMCA by breaking the copy-protection. (The equivalent there would be directly hacking the .logos4 files to extract their contents...)

Posts 2643
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 19 2009 12:07 PM

Jon Rumble:

Kevin A. Purcell:
Unfortunately, format shifting of copyrighted content is technically illegal. But I doubt the police will be knocking down the door.

This obviously will depend on your jurisdiction, in Australian copyright legislation this is explicitly allowed (as I read it - not a lawyer Big Smile).

Under US law wouldn't this be justifiable as Fair Use? It is different to format-shifting eg a DVD, where you breach the DMCA by breaking the copy-protection. (The equivalent there would be directly hacking the .logos4 files to extract their contents...)

Yeah, but the US is all that matters really.  Of course you know I'm kidding and I apologize for assuming.  Our laws here need to be fixed for the 21st century and digital media.

Posts 2277
Andy | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 19 2009 12:23 PM

Just to add my vote. It would be fantastic to be able to export books from Logos to the Kindle to save the eyes. Logos 4 is fantastic for study, etc., but the Kindle is (obviously) more convenient and comfortable for leisurely reading... To import our notes from the Kindle into Logos would be peachy... but I would settle for just being able to export to the Kindle.

I am easily pleased.

I am lovin Logos 4 btw... Thank you team Logos!

Posts 510
John Kaess | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 19 2009 12:29 PM

Kindle?  No

But I hope Logos seriously considers the Barnes & Noble Nook -- its a more open platform, and I'm guessing it will steal a very large segment of the ebook market away from the Kindle.

Posts 106
Rob Suggs | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 23 2009 11:19 AM

JohnKaess:

Kindle?  No

But I hope Logos seriously considers the Barnes & Noble Nook -- its a more open platform, and I'm guessing it will steal a very large segment of the ebook market away from the Kindle.

I would love to hear it explained why people think this. Maybe I'm missing something, but the Kindle is no more closed than the Nook. It reads a great many formats. I can make all my documents, whether Word .doc, html, rtf, txt, even pdf into Kindle books including making covers and workable tables of contents. I can also read my Kindle books on my iPhone and on my desktop. I checked out the Nook and its present advantage is color, which I think Kindle is adopting soon (it will be forced to, though it will use more battery power that way). Another possible advantage of the Nook is that it takes a data card, which could be good for, say, a Logos library if a massive version is ever available. But in terms of being a closed system, I don't get that. I have probably missed something.

Posts 2643
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 23 2009 12:54 PM

Kindle is definitely NOT a closed system. It may seem closed if I have a book in one of the formats it does not support, but it supports enough formats that it is not closed. In fact you can buy the hardware and use it a lot never ever putting a single purchased book on it. It has a very limited web browser. It takes books via email. You just send it the device's email address and it syncs up (there is a small fee for this) or you can send it to another email address and they will convert the document and you get it via email and then can add it manually via the USB cable.

I don't mind that it is not color. Keeps the battery life good. With Whisper Sync turned on (the sprint radio) I get about a few days of life with heavy usage. With it off I get a couple of weeks.

The nook has a cool feature that you can read books while you are in the B&N store. I'd love that. I have a coffee shop in the one in Hickory and I would be happy to go there and read every Monday after lunch and never buy a book. But that is the only real feature that I envy.

Posts 405
Amy Leung | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 23 2009 3:22 PM

Rob Suggs:

I checked out the Nook and its present advantage is color, which I think Kindle is adopting soon (it will be forced to, though it will use more battery power that way). 

I checked out the Nook page too and it's somewhat misleading.  Apparently there a separate color touchscreen for book selection, while for books it is basically using (I think) the same e-ink display which is in black and white.  Surprise

Posts 106
Rob Suggs | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 23 2009 5:30 PM

Amy Leung:

Rob Suggs:

I checked out the Nook and its present advantage is color, which I think Kindle is adopting soon (it will be forced to, though it will use more battery power that way). 

I checked out the Nook page too and it's somewhat misleading.  Apparently there a separate color touchscreen for book selection, while for books it is basically using (I think) the same e-ink display which is in black and white.  Surprise

That's interesting. Like Kevin, I can live without the color if it helps me keep from plugging the thing in to recharge it every single day, as I nearly do with iPhone. Kindle is great. I turn on whispersynch just long enough for it to download a couple of blogs or any new books, then I turn it back off and I won't have to recharge it for weeks. 

Some suggest Logos get into the hardware game and sell a dedicated reader. I can't see this happening, though I'd line up to buy it. Most of us, I suspect, can do just fine on our laptops and desktops without having to do advanced language study on the subway on a small device. Wink I'm as devoted to gadgets as most, but I come to a point where I recognize I can live life with the ones I've got. 

Page 1 of 8 (146 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS